5.0 out of 5 stars VERY HELPFUL IN COPING AND RECOVERING
Published on Aug. 7 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Empty Arms
I read this book about 5 weeks after my daughter was stillborn on 2/12/01 at 39 weeks. It was very technical and dealt with the decisions that need to be made in the hospital or soon after. By the time I read the book, most of the decisions the book talks about having to make had already been made. It really has not been much help through my grieving process
Published on March 28 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY HELPFUL IN COPING AND RECOVERING, Aug. 7 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Empty Arms: Coping with Miscarriage, Stillbirth and Infant Death (Paperback)
MY LITTLE CHRISTOPHER WAS STILLBORN ON JULY 4, 1999. I WAS DEVASTATED. MOST PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND THE EMOTIONS, FEELINGS, HOPELESSNESS OF LOSING AN INFANT. MOST PEOPLE DON'T KNOW HOW TO REACT OR WHAT TO SAY. THEY TRY TO COMFORT YOU IN THEIR OWN BLIND WAY BUT MOSTLY THEY JUST MAKE THINGS WORSE. READING THIS BOOK AND EXPERIENCING HOW OTHER PARENTS FELT AND DEALT WITH THIS HORRIBLE TRAGEDY MADE ME FEEL LIKE I WAS WITH PEOPLE WHO KNEW AND REALLY UNDERSTOOD WHAT IT WAS LIKE. SO MANY THINGS THAT WERE DISCUSSED THAT THESE PARENTS WISHED THEY HAD DONE OR HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO DO TO REMEMBER/MEMORIALIZE THEIR CHILDREN WERE SO HELPFUL IN MY DECISION MAKING PROCESS AND BURIAL OF MY SON. IT WAS LIKE LEARNING FROM THE REGRETS OF OTHERS. IT DEFINITELY AIDED IN THE HEALING PROCESS. EVERY HOSPITAL SHOULD HAVE A COPY AVAILABLE FOR PARENTS WHO LOSE AN INFANT!

5.0 out of 5 stars A neccessity when losing an infant child., April 21 1998
I have owned this book for seven years, since the loss of my daughter.
It was sent to me by the author when I called her at home and asked for guidance.
It has been THE most comforting book to me... Sherokee offers insight that we are unable to think of at the time of our sorrow.
At the time of the death of my child, I had NO idea anyone else knew what I was going through...But someone does.
There could have been no other author, no other book, that could have given me the strength that I received from this.
At a time when I was so at a loss for words, Ms. Ilse spoke, not only for me, but to me, to tell me I was not alone.
Ms. Ilse gave me the strength through this book, to do what I needed to do, and then take care of myself.
This book was an essential part of my of my healing... I cannot say enough about the book, or the author.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST FOR THE LOSS OF A BABY UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, July 13 1998
By A Customer
THE HOSPITAL GAVE ME THIS BOOK WHEN WE LEARNED THAT OUR DAUGHTER PROBABLY WOULD NOT SURVIVE LONG AFTER HER BIRTH. WE WERE FACED WITH SAYING GOODBYE BEFORE WE WERE GIVEN THE CHANCE TO SAY HELLO. SHEROKEE GAVE US THINGS TO THINK ABOUT. OUR DAUGHTER WAS STILLBORN AND DUE TO THIS BOOK WE MADE EVERY POSSIBLE DECISION BEFORE WE EVER GOT TO THE HOSPITAL. HER BIRTH AND THEN FUNERAL WERE DIGNIFIED THANKS TO THE SUGGESTIONS FOUND IN THIS BOOK! LATER I GOT PREGNANT AGAIN BUT UNFORTUNATELY MISCARRIED. I GOT THIS BOOK OUT AGAIN AND IT HELPED TREMENDOUSLY. I WILL FOREVER BE GRATEFUL FOR THIS BOOK AND WILL RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE FACING THE MISCARRIAGE,STILLBIRTH OR NEONATAL DEATH OF THEIR BABY. HAVING THE BOOK WRITTEN BY A WOMAN WHO HAD GONE THROUGH THE SAME THING MADE IT EASIER TO SWALLOW! I DIDN'T FEEL SO ALONE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timing is everything in benefitting from this book., May 2 2001
S. Wood (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
My heart goes out to everyone else who has written a review of this book as well as the countless number who have read it without reviewing it. We lost our son to a cord accident at 20 weeks last July and during the long induced labor process in the hospital I was given many materials to read. This book was among them and stands out in my memory as being the most helpful at that time. We needed the technical info and were not yet ready to start the tough work of emotional healing that lay ahead. It's helpful to think of this book as first aid at the beginning of the crisis while you are in shock and to turn to other, more in-depth emotional reading when you are ready for it.
It was exactly what we needed at the time, and I thank the author, publisher, and the hospital who provided it to us.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple format makes it helpful, Feb. 2 2002
By A Customer
This is a good book if you want something simple. It is in the question, answer format and fairly short. You can easily find what you are looking for without having to search through the other stuff you don't want to think about right now. It would have been extremely helpful right when my son died. It would be good for the hospitals to give out. It didn't have as many stories of other couples (they do help you to feel less alone) as I would have liked, though. There is some advice on how to go on and answers to questions I would not have even thought of, though so I do recommend it. It shouldn't be the only book you buy on loss, but if you can afford more than one, get this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have recommended this book to so many families!, Sept. 27 2000
Elizabeth Meaney (Lancaster, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I also cannot say enough about this book. When my twins died, I read so many books, trying to find something that might help ease my pain and help me to deal with what had happened. This book was the answer. It was the only book that addressed all the questions I had, talked about every feeling I was experiencing and spoke not only about miscarriage and stillbirths, but also about infant death which none of the other books I read really discussed. It was the only book that helped to lift the pain off my heart and some of the weight off my shoulders. I donated a copy to our local chapter of SHARE and I received numerous thanks from the families trying to cope with their grief.

5.0 out of 5 stars when no one else understood, Dec 27 2001
By A Customer
Sherokee Isle wrote this wonderful book that touches on all that I went through. I have recommended it to many friends with similar experiences and it has helped them cope with the loss of their little Angels too. I even wrote to her (her address is in tha back of the book) to thank her for helping me, and she sent a hand written personl note back to me telling me how sorry she was for my loss. There are many things she suggests doing to help you through this hard time. She validates your feelings and discusses her personal stories. She is a voice of experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars it helped me to hold on to life., Jan. 17 1999
By A Customer
When our daughter Leilani Jean died three weeks before delivery ,it was a terrilbe blow after having lost two other children in the first trimester of pregnancy,We had awaited her brith for 12 long years only to learn that it was not to be.This book helped us to cope and it helped me to hold on to the edge of what seemed an endless black pit.and it also helped me to see the light at the end of it all.Nothing can take the pain away but this book does help soften it alot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reading for anyone who's suffered such a tragedy., April 17 1999
I recently purchased this book after suffering the stillbirth of my daughter Emily Rose. Like the author, I, too, had previous miscarriages so the death of my daughter was even more traumatic. Reading "Empty Arms" -- a very appropriate title -- helps me realize that I'm not alone and that my feelings are "normal". I'm deeply grateful to the author for publishing this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Empty Arms, March 28 2001

Empty Arms: Coping with Miscarriage, Stillbirth and Infant Death
CDN$ 15.04
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available