5.0 out of 5 stars Loved the Celebrity Information~!!
This book was a plethora of interesting and entertaining data. I was enthralled from start to finish with all the behind-the-scene accounts of some of the celebrities we have come to know and love. I found myself becoming a walking celebrity encyclopedia as I reiterated to everyone the things I had read.

Each of the stories is told in a straight-forward,...
Published on Dec 14 2011 by Jennifer Chatham

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad
Jumps around a lot in time and from person to person.
Gushes over a few people who were not so great.
Published 2 months ago by LGK

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved the Celebrity Information~!!, Dec 14 2011
This review is from: Hollywood Stories: Short, Entertaining Anecdotes about the Stars and Legends of the Movies! (Hardcover)

Each of the stories is told in a straight-forward, matter-of-fact basis, some short paragraphs, some lengthier, all of them worth reading. This would make an excellent coffee table book or a bathroom reader, you can pick the book up anywhere and find a tale or two to peruse. It is not meant to read from front to cover, thought it is encouraged to do so, and even if you read sparsely, this is one book that would keep you coming back.

I would give Hollywood Stories a five out of five stars. Everything about the book is informative, giving you insight into aspects of people you didn't think imaginable. Some of the celebrities we have come to know and love were tyrants or divas but most importantly what you come to realize is that they were just people trying to live their lives as only they could. I could've done with some more anecdotes on James Dean and Marilyn Monroe and was pleased to find one or two of them within. Loved the book and would definitely read more of this type by the author.

5.0 out of 5 stars fun book to read!, Aug. 20 2010
Laura Fabiani (Montreal) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Hollywood Stories is a fun book to read. True to its title, it is chock-full of entertaining anecdotes about the stars and legends of the movies and TV shows. It is a backstage pass, so to speak, a window behind the scenes of the actors, directors, writers and producers that paint another picture of who they are. The author is never salacious and his stories are not conjured. He states that everything in the book is public domain stuff. He has gathered hundreds of these stories throughout the years and has made it handy for us through this book.

Schochet's writing style is engaging, funny and highly entertaining. Once you read a few tales, you don't want to stop. Sometimes my hubby would pick up the book and refuse to give it back to me when I wanted to continue reading it. The stories are categorized into 13 different themes such as Oscar Tales, Great Hollywood Comedians and Walt Disney Stories. A handy index is available at the back to find those anecdotes you read and want to share.

I learned so many interesting things about the movie-making business and that not all is as it appears. Here are some of the fun tidbits I enjoyed from these engaging short stories.

Did you know that:

Leonard Nimoy who played the original Spock in the Star Trek series was humiliated by and hated wearing his pointed ears and never felt appreciated by his bosses?

Eddie Murphy, who replaced Sylvester Stallone after he walked off the film Beverly Hills Cop, ad libbed most of the dialogue since the original screenplay was mostly action scenes? He was so funny that his co-stars had to work hard not to laugh and ruin takes.

The opening scene of The Sound of Music was shot from a helicopter whose blade force kept blowing Julie Andrews over so that she would spit out dirt and grass and then curse like a sailor?

I got this book from the author who is also a professional tour guide in Los Angeles. As he gave us the tour he would entertain us with stories about Hollywood and movie stars, emulating Zsa Zsa Gabor's accent, making our tour memorable. We saw first-hand how knowledgeable this author was and how much he enjoyed telling the tales.

This book is the perfect gift for anyone who is a movie buff, especially those nostalgic of the classics. It's a book that would sit well on a coffee table, in your car, at the office, or anywhere a reader could steal a few moments of fun reading.

Learn more about this book and its author at [...]

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, June 16 2014
Jumps around a lot in time and from person to person.
Gushes over a few people who were not so great.

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting read, July 18 2012
I'm very much enjoying this book. Lots of short stories and an easy read. Put in down and pick it up anytime, so this is taking me awhile to read. But if you're a film buff, you'll really like this as it gives insight into the stars' Hollywood world. Would be nice if it had some illustrations.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hollywood Stories, July 26 2013
I found this book interesting in parts but repetitive. Just okay. Would not suggest my friends or family read it. You also have to be of a certain age to even start to appreciate it.

CDN$ 27.25
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available