5.0 out of 5 stars A True Adventure
The motivation for this book is rooted in a club in Japan that is dedicated to learning foreign languages. Its members began to wonder about the sounds of languages, and this curiosity led them to the study of Fourier series, which they applied to analyze spoken sounds.
Published on Sept. 29 2001 by chandp

3.0 out of 5 stars as funny as stupid
Some boring guys get together, pretending cute, and wrote up a big comic book. Fooling around is good for something, but this one is too much. Though they don't care about precious time, you are fooled all the way. I never laughed while I read it -- not interesting at all.
Boring for college students, and meaningless for pedestrians.
I suggest Tolstov, if you...
Published on Feb. 23 2003 by seriousthinker

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A True Adventure, Sept. 29 2001
"chandp" (Fremont, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Who Is Fourier? a Mathematical Adventure (Paperback)
To start with, this book introduces the concepts behind the Fourier series and the calculation of Fourier coefficients. It then discusses Fourier analysis of the five vowels of the Japanese language. The conclusions are enlightening to say the least.
Rather than end here, as it could have, this book continues on to develop in some detail the mathematics behind the Fourier series. This includes forays into trigonometry, limits, differentiaion, integration, vectors, infinite series, the constants e and i, and Euler's formula. At all times it provides concrete motivation for new concepts, and supports them with superb visualization. When previously introduced concepts are needed, they are always reviewed in place, instead of assuming that the reader has mastered them, or will go back to the original material.
One strength of this book that should not be overlooked is that its translation is very good. That is, the reader is not aware that it is a translation.
While most people who are aware of Fourier series probably have the necessary background in mathematics to make this book feel "accessible", I wonder whether someone who has never gone beyond high school algebra and geometry would feel the same way.
One disappointment for me was the final chapter, the one on FFT. Its presentation of the discrete Fourier transform was good, but its development of the algorithm became unnecesarrily complicated. Though I found the explanation in an algorithms book more to my liking, without the background from this book, particularly Euler's formula, I surely would not have understood that one at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book on fourier transform, Jan. 11 2004
Ting Liu (New York, NY, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Who Is Fourier? a Mathematical Adventure (Paperback)
This book has done an excellent job on explaining fourier transformation. Although I believe I have clear understanding on fourier transform, this book takes me to a new journey and let me look at this transform from another perspective. Well done!
However, the reason I can not give this book five star is that the book contains many redundant and irrelavant dialogues which distract your attention from time to time. To speed up your reading, you have to filter it out.
In addition, this book is over size and make it difficult for bed-time reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars DESRVE MORE THAN 100 STARS, Aug. 2 2003
Ahmed Morsi (JEDDAH, AZZIZEYA Saudi Arabia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Who Is Fourier? a Mathematical Adventure (Paperback)
the Transnational Colege of Lex Tokyo has done two beautiful books this one and the other marvelous book "what is quantum mechanics" which also worth its weight gold,I have bought alot of books and i found these two books plus epstein's marvel "thinking physics" are the best sceince books writen in the english language ever.back to this book,,,
in short ..excellent work.its very very pedagogical and step by step one will master the subject.
my only note on fourier's book is on the treatment of the fast fourier transform which is not really as good as the rest of the book.
any one like a crystal clear exposition on this please refer to
"the scientists and engineers guide to digital signal processing".
in future i will buy any book transnational co. will issue.
my only hope is that transnational colege next pne will be on the general relativity and will see subject of tensors and manifolds that kind of clearity and understandability.thanx 4 reading my review.

1.0 out of 5 stars So, who is Fourier?, April 17 2003
This review is from: Who Is Fourier? a Mathematical Adventure (Paperback)
If you ever watched the entertainment TV programs in Japan, you would understand my review: The dialogs in the book are not only useless, but annoying. [...] After a long time reading the dialogs, then who is Fourier, and where is Fourier's discovery?
The book CAN be written in fewer than 50 pages! It's not as good as an "introductory" Fourier Analysis book, or even a story telling about Fourier's life and scientific discovery. ]...] This book is not a useful book in the real world -- far from that. It's "useful" only when you are familiar with the techniques required to apply Fourier Analysis to the real problems. But then why should I own this book? This is why: Look at the pictures and recall some other books' contents, and then throw it away. As science book for the general audience , it's misleading the readers to a boring playground, where we cannot find any entertaining toys, even if you are there just for fun.
I have read many Japanese books about science, and this one is the worst -- not funny enough to kill time, and not good enough to attract people into the world of such an important science -- the Fourier Expansion of Periodic Wave Forms.
Get the Schaum's outline instead. That will solve your problems quick. It's not funny, but interesting and USEFUL.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Book!, March 28 2003
Catherine Hood (Tennessee USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Who Is Fourier? a Mathematical Adventure (Paperback)
I develop time series software and teach classes on time series for a living. I saw this book while looking for material that would help me teach adults some of the concepts of time series. It has been a wonderful resource for me personally because I use FFTs, but it has also been a wonderful resource in terms of how it teaches the material. I highly recommend this book for anyone who teaches math or science.
I help homeschool our three elementary-aged children. We've been working through some of the pages in the book together so they have some idea of what I do while I'm at work. They are really enjoying learning about how to add together sine waves to make different patterns.
This book has given me wonderful insight into teaching and into what my kids can learn even in elementary school. It's also changed the way I lecture when training new staff and the way I choose math curriculum for my children.

3.0 out of 5 stars as funny as stupid, Feb. 23 2003
This review is from: Who Is Fourier? a Mathematical Adventure (Paperback)
Boring for college students, and meaningless for pedestrians.
I suggest Tolstov, if you want SOME fun and MUCH knowledge, but DO NOT have much time.
Don't waste your time and money if you would study science.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, Oct. 22 2002
Zabeda Kalid (Tampere Finland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Who Is Fourier? a Mathematical Adventure (Paperback)
I never read a technical book from cover to cover except this book. I am holding M.Sc. in DSP and I never understood what Fourier was talking about, just swallowing his equations without understanding the idea behind them. His equations were puzzels till I read this excellent book. It is very well written, explained in an easy, obvious and excellent way. The only drawback is that the last chapter (FFT) is not very well explained as the rest of the book, but it doesn't harm it.
If all/most of the scientific books written like this book, science become much more interesting and desirable.
I hope that transnational College of LEX show more scientific books like this one.
The authers and the translator deserve BIG thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, Oct. 22 2002
Zabeda Kalid (Tampere Finland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Who Is Fourier? a Mathematical Adventure (Paperback)
I never read a technical book from cover to cover except this book. I am holding M.Sc. in DSP and I never understood what fourier was talking about, just swallowing his equations without understanding the idea behind them. His equations were puzzels till I read this excellent book. It is very well written, explained in an easy, obvious and excellent way. The only drawback is that the last chapter (FFT) is not very well explained as the rest of the book, but it doesn't harm it.
The authers and the translator deserve BIG thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Intro, Sept. 2 2002
This review is from: Who Is Fourier? a Mathematical Adventure (Paperback)
I just got the book and i am halfway done. The book really provides a very clear explanation on the subject(although elementary). The authors really makes sure you understand everything they talk about(like the addition of sine waves and trigonometric functions etc.). I can't wait to finish the book. I browsed through the 2nd half of the book and saw treatments of e, integration, differentiation and projection and orthogonality. Can't wait to go there! The drawback for me was that the book was a little too simple...I would prefer a more mathematically rigorous book(maybe i should get another after finishing this). But overall this is a good book to learn the basics of Fourier. Buy it! and Read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, May 11 2002
The Duke (Indianapolis, IN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Who Is Fourier? a Mathematical Adventure (Paperback)
I loved this book. I'm playing catch up with differential equations in graduate school and picked up this volume to learn about the Fourier equation. It was an engaging and entertaining way to learn the mathematics. But it's insights into learning and pedogogy were even more fascinating. Clearly a unique kind of book. I'd certainly recommend it to anyone involved in teaching math or the sciences.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Who Is Fourier? a Mathematical Adventure
Who Is Fourier? a Mathematical Adventure by Transnational College of Lex Tokyo (Paperback - 1995)
Used & New from: CDN$ 22.98