5.0 out of 5 stars Not What you Might Expect
This is likely one of the best books I have ever read and I'll tell you why.

Published on Sept. 26 2009 by Bart Breen

2.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to follow through
There are some positive aspects to this story. The authors use the presence of a mysterious, apostle-like figure who drifts in and out of meetings with a disabused pastor to make a number of important points about church life and the meaning of being in a relationship with Christ. The points are easily understood and strike home for all of the right reasons. The authors...
Published on May 7 2011 by SnowPharoah

5.0 out of 5 stars Not What you Might Expect, Sept. 26 2009
Bart Breen "Bart Breen" (Sterling, VA USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: So You Don't Want to Go to Church Anymore: An Unexpected Journey (Paperback)
This is likely one of the best books I have ever read and I'll tell you why.

I've been all about the Church for most of my life. I've been a pastor, a denominational official, a Church Administrator, an Elder, a Chairman of the Board and while I'm not currently in a formal Church Ministry role, I'm finishing up a Master's degree in Organizational Leadership and writing a Master's Thesis on Leadership Styles and impact within the organization of the Church.

On some levels, I'm sick and tired of the organization of the Church. Many of the criticisms leveled at it for being impersonal, political, manipulative, disingenuous and full of petty people are unfortunately true. There are literally millions of people who comprise the walking wounded who have brushed paths with many Churches and have sworn that they are never going back to such a place because it is full of hypocrites and toxic people.

I understand that. I'm reminded of the man who said all the things above to his wife and ended up with the comment, "And I'm never going back there again." His wife responded, "But you have to go back. You're the Senior Pastor ......"

For all who have felt this way, this book is for you.

Through the masterful use of dialogue in the context of a fictional setting with a pastor who has been wounded, this book touches on all these themes and brings the reader through to the end with an alternative view of Church.

It's not about the organizational Structure. Some imagine that if we just structured the Church right the problems would be solved. I can vouch from a level of involvement that exceeds many, that sadly this is not the case.

The church will never be perfect in this age because I am not perfect.

What is needed is a new view and understanding of the Church. This book does an excellent job of illustrating where hope lies.

I recommend it highly! 5 Stars.

Bart Breen

5.0 out of 5 stars Freedom!!, Aug. 31 2008
Mark Greir "Neo" (Vancouver Island, Canada) - See all my reviews
To anyone who questions their disillusionment with "the church" this book will help them to see that they are not alone. Jake, under the guidance of John, sets off on a journey of discovery ~ a journey to freedom from "religion" and all the expectations that entangle it. As Jake's eyes are open he discovers a "new freedom". Freedom from the fear of men and from obligation to the "institution". From John he learns once again to trust His Heavenly Father for all things and walk out a life of authentic faith.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I've ever read!, Feb. 6 2009
L. Johnson (Toronto, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
I've been struggling for a few years after not attending church regularly and being caught up with legalism, programs, status quo for Christians and not being fulfilled. As I read this book it addressed the core issues and challenged me to go deeper in my relationship with God and let His love truly envelope me ... and learn to trust Him through all the difficult and painful experiences I've had and am in the midst of.
I HIGHLY recommend this book for anyone who wants to know what true freedom is!

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, March 25 2014
Now I read this book sometime back and it offered healing in things God recognized I suffereduunrecognized by others. Books have often offered opportunities in healing and understanding that is not present in those I meet or whom I sought answers from in the past.

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed my thinking, Jan. 25 2014
This book is exceptional. It is a superb look at our relationship with Father God and what it can be. It is a well written and engaging story - much like what Jesus would tell

4.0 out of 5 stars So you don't want to go to church anymore, Nov. 24 2013
Margaret M. Lambert (Vancouver, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
I am sorry but I have not read this book yet so cannot
give a comment. It does look very interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed my Pharisean spirit, Sept. 24 2013
If you've been saved for a while and you're at a point of being so sick of doing Church this book is for you. This story grabbed me where my heart was at. Desiring so much to follow hard after God but so sick of the do's and don't of chuch. Living under condemnation all the time because I just didn't feel like I measured up. Never knew enough of the Bible even though I spent hours studying and Learning. Then I discovered this book and Grace. Yahoooooo! I have been set FREE to live and to love for Christ. Not some dried up old religion but I know that my Saviour lives and He has a plan for my life. Now walking it out by His Spirit and His Amazing Love for me. Thank God for this book and thanks Wayne Jacobsen for writing it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and Insightful Read, March 16 2013
This book was recommended to me by someone on our church board. At first I was skeptical that it would just be another church bashing book, but was pleasantly surprised by the author's ability both to draw the reader in as well as to argue for an encounter with Christ beyond the patterns of religious adherence.

It is fiction and needs to be read like that, but I would recommend this for anyone who feels like the patterns of church they have given themselves to are not drawing them closer to God.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good book that will change a lot of your views about the Church, Aug. 24 2012
This is a book that can change your views on your Church and your relationship with God. The author tells a story of a mysterious man that helps a Pastor in a small Church to deal with the problems in the congregation by shading a new light over topics that most of us hold too dear and precious to dare to challenge. And the man does it without deviating a single step from what the Bible says. In fact what the writer wants to see through the book is that you should stop viewing the Church as a religious safe place to keep you in your comfort zone and start acting more like the Christians of the early Church. Very nice pleasant reading and lots of food for thought.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reorienting!, July 24 2014
Brad Spencer (Canada) - See all my reviews
A great reminder of many things we know or should know about God's character but struggle life long to live in the truth of.

So You Don't Want to Go to Church Anymore: An Unexpected Journey