countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 31-40 of 40 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on December 14, 2008
I think it's important to look at the good before the bad. There is so little good here - perhaps the setup was okay, and one could have chosen to do a good thriller out of it. But the bad was overwhelming. The worst "sin" was the implausible non-plot, with some incredible characters that I just didn't like. Can I be criticized for not accepting faith and God into my life? No, as that is not the case. But do I like this book? No, not at all. I can't think of another book that I have read that wasn't even worthy of a space on my bookshelf. The only thing that I regret is not being able to give this review a 'no stars' rating in this review.
on February 1, 2009
Not surprised seeing all the 5 star reviews. If someone says something good about God, people will love them. This book is utter drivel and fuels the propagandic delusions of organized religion. The fact that this book is #1 doesn't offend me, it just completely depresses me. I'll wait on the "you're going to Hell!1" responses and in the meantime just say that you should skip this garbage.
on June 26, 2009
This book is basically someone's opinion within a story. The story itself is boring and the characters annoying.
on February 9, 2009
The Shack is a work of fiction but makes statements that are supposedly facts. Unfortunately this book describes a god that has nothing to do with GOD, who has revealed Himself in the bible. Many people love this book and in so doing reject the GOD of holy scripture.
I don't recommend anyone read this book especially if you are looking for truth.
A very deceptive read.
on August 17, 2009
This book may be inspirational for anyone going through a rough patch in life and are somewhat religous. However, I can honesly say that if you are looking for an exciting page turner...look elsewhere.
on June 13, 2008
"The Shack" is a blend of spiritualities designed to evoke an emotional response. Claiming to illustrate biblical truth, its use of unbiblical symbology misrepresents the essence of God and his true nature. The author attempts to provide solutions to some legitimate religious and personal issues, but often does so in an extremely unbalanced way, resulting in questionable conclusions. By creating an emotional plot and creating dream-like scenes, by putting his viewpoint in the mouth of God and maximizing on some current popular theological ideas, it is a challenge for the reader to separate fact from fantasy, truth from error.

Readers looking to integrate a variety of feel-good philosophies with a smattering of biblical elements to avoid having to grapple with the Truth of Holy Scripture will be very happy with "The Shack." But those looking for a vivid illustration of biblical reality and how it can best be applied to our lives should look elsewhere.

For my more extensive review, see: [...]
on April 4, 2009
Although I can understand why a religious person would enjoy this book, I found it incredibly preachy, repetitive and annoying. The book was simply religious maxims, with no plot. I couldn't finish the book, so I had someone tell me the end (which I'm glad I did because it sounded terrible)
on December 18, 2008
I did not like this book at all. I found that it stretched and twisted biblical truth. I would encourage any one who reads this book to really search out what is written. For a really good perspective I found some articles from the Christian Research Institute, written by Hank Hanegraaff. He writes that "The fact THe Shack is now being touted by those who take the sacred name of Jesus Christ upon their lips is, to me, a sad commentary on Christian disernment." I found this book to be truly disturbing. Another article that I found is from Issues in Perspective, a paper written by Dr. James P. Eckman, President of Grace University.He writes that "In Colossians 2:8, the Apostle Paul warns, "See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces of this world, rather that Christ." That warning aptly applies to THE SHACK." But don't just take my word or their word. We need to go to the source for answers which is the Holy Bible, The Living Word of GOD.
on November 3, 2011
I was disappointed in the size of the book received.It was not specified on amazon that the book was so small in size.I have seen a copy of a friend's and that was what I assumed I would be getting.I will definitely be more careful and consider buying my books in person next time so I am certain of what I am getting.
on October 4, 2008
It's a rare book. The first I've ever thrown into the trash bin having read three-quarters of it. It promises something new but delivers the same brainwashing as Sunday School. Sorry to offend people, but there is no new information here....just someone trying to tug your heartstrings into Christianity with the murder of an innocent little girl. Wake Up!