biss Up to 40% Off CBC's Canada Reads 2016 Shortlist boutiques-francophones Learn more snsflyour Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: PaperbackChange

on February 5, 2016
bigger crap
on February 3, 2016
Excellent book!
on February 2, 2016
Great read!!!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 22, 2016
Well, who hasn't reviewed The Shack? This will just be a drop into the massive bucket that is online reviewing, but here goes.

If I've said it once, I've said it at least 5 or 6 times...it's terribly hard to do teaching fiction well. It always comes off sounding a little bit cheesy. In that respect, The Shack is to Christians what the Celestine Prophecy was to the New Age movement a couple of decades ago. Will we look back communally on our fascination with this title and wince once a few more years go by? It's certainly possible (although Christian readers are perhaps a bit more loyal.)

I was a bit late to the scene of The Shack, reading it a couple of years after it's release. It was honestly hard to see what all the hoopla was about. This book isn't great literature, it isn't a spectacular allegory, and it isn't great theology. To compare it to Pilgrim's Progress as an editorial review does here, is...well...rather misguided.

Another point to consider is that if you don't deal well with topics of child loss, you may not be able to stomach this book. I told my husband he probably shouldn't read it. He'd rather avoid that kind of content because we have seven children who he frets over.

I won't dig into the theology. Google Challies' huge in depth PDF review if you want some of that.

The Shack ultimately has some warm-fuzzy moments about God, and perhaps the biggest takeaway here is that Jesus is a real person, one you can have a real, authentic, loving relationship with. I'm not sure that reminder justified reading the whole book in my case, though there are probably seekers out there who will be pointed to Jesus through the popularity of this work.

If I enjoyed teaching fiction more, I'd rate this work higher, but as it is....meh, I can't really see the cause for all the applause.

I received a review copy of this book. All thoughts are my own.
on January 16, 2016
Character voices are very well done. If you need some freedom in your relationship with God this is a wonderful place to start.
on January 2, 2016
Ugh, this book was recommended to me as being "amazing" and "life changing". I couldn't even finish it
on December 18, 2015
In all honesty, this book, I feel, will change many lives, including my own. I need to re-read, digest some more and apply to my life parcels of the little I have grasped so far. I pray you receive this wealth with an open mind but mostly with an open heart. Let's go!
on December 8, 2015
excellent
on December 7, 2015
One of my all time favorite.
on November 22, 2015