4.0 out of 5 stars I fully intended to dislike this book, but found myself loving it.
I am one of the people who dislikes religious organisations, rarely goes to church, and have been unsure where a loving God fits into the dreadful things that go on in the world. I picked up this book by mistake, and read it with the intention of writing a harsh review advising others to save their money. It turns out that I was wrong. This is a very readable book, which...
Published on March 21 2008 by Neko

3.0 out of 5 stars Not too Bad, Not Life Changing
The Shack is clearly an influential book, and judging by its prodigious sales a lot of people are reading it. As well I noticed that it has (especially in Canada) received a lot of controversial reviews. There are those who love it, and those who hate it passionately. It seems that a lot of this depends on the reader's theology. I would like to critique this view not...
Published on Feb. 11 2009 by Melissa M. Grant

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 518 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenominal, Nov. 16 2009
Ronald K. Harris "Wolf View" (NW BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shack, The (Paperback)
The best way to describe it is to repeat the words of the next person I passed this book onto - "This book should be required reading after reading the Bible - then everyone would understand what God really wants from us
!"

2.0 out of 5 stars A Sloppy Stew of Theological Wishful Thinking, Jan. 24 2009
Stuck at Home (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shack, The (Paperback)
I am a Buddhist who has often been the recipient of books that fall into the broad category of Christian apologetics, given to me by caring Christian friends. The premise of The Shack was very intriguing, and I started reading with expectations of a much better experience than "More than a Carpenter" or the "Case for Christ/Case for Faith" series provided.

While The Shack had some high points and interesting twists on orthodox beliefs, it was ultimately disappointing. It suffers from the same fundamental fault as all other Christian apologetics: one has to already believe in God - the Western Christian version of God - for any of it to make sense or resonate. If you do, I can see where this book and others of it's ilk provide a great re-affirmation of your faith. But if you don't, it's just an annoying rollercoaster of half-baked theology.

On the good side, I enjoyed some of unorthodox twists the author uses: God the Father as a big black woman, Jesus as an earthy but decidedly Arabic looking friend we wish we all had. The pervasive message that God is all good and all love and always with us is also a positive message that can't hurt to spread.

I initially liked the episode with Sophia where Mack is asked to choose which of his children are to be saved and which must be condemned and he offers to sacrifice himself so all his children can be saved. At first it struck me as a great insight into Jesus' sacrifice. But then I realized that the entire construct is flawed - why do any of Mack's children need to be saved or condemned? There's no reason to force this decision.

On the downside, I didn't feel that the great conflict in Mack's life is truly resolved. Why did God allow his daughter to be murdered? (Because he allows mankind to have free will??) Why does Mack break down and forgive the murderer? (because God forgives???). There's also a lot of warm, fuzzy imagery that I didn't find helpful - gardening with the Holy Spirit and Jesus making a casket for Missy.

It's also disturbing to read the other negative reviews I've seen of this book. Most of them are from orthodox Christians who give The Shack poor marks because of the theological liberties in the book. Some reviews even place specific labels on each of the 'heresies' expressed. When will Christians realize that burning people at the stake, even if only in a figurative sense, doesn't help their cause?

In summary, it may be a powerful book for those who already believe, but is unlikely to move those who aren't already in the camp.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a crock., Jan. 27 2011
Sandra Hazeltine "Sam Hazy" (Toronto) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shack, The (Paperback)
One of the few books I have tossed in the trash and not passed along. So, your daughter is raped and murdered and you meet god and it takes you three days (or whatever) to even ask what that was about. And the answer you get is "what is bad for you is good for someone else". I have not lost anyone to murder, only disease and age, but that answer just pissed me off and I can't understand why Mack just took it. I was hoping for some real answers but it was the same old, same old "just believe", "have faith" and all that crap. If there is a god, in the immortal words of Depeche Mode he has a "sick sense of humour". Don't waste your time with this one. Strengthened my atheist leanings rather than pulling me the other way.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE SHACK, July 9 2014
This was a very touching book. Good story line. I rather enjoyed the religious aspect of the book. I felt it was incorporated quite lovely. There is definately someone from above caring for us. It is just something we believe.
Even if you are not religiously inclined, you will enjoy the book as the circumstances that happened in the book....could happen to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... 12 bibles and it wouldn't of explained God any better. Loved it, July 8 2014
This review is from: Shack, The (Paperback)
I really found myself in this book and I could of read 12 bibles and it wouldn't of explained God any better.Loved it, I will recommended to any one but it was sad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 2 2014
Amazing book!

4.0 out of 5 stars good read, June 21 2014
This review is from: Shack, The (Paperback)
This is a good book and a very good price. I bought several of these books to give away as gifts etc.etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars How much The Shack is a book each one should read it., June 12 2014
This review is from: Shack, The (Paperback)
I like it to the extend I gave it to most of my friends. I never read description of the Trinity as I found it in the Shack. How much God loves is all. How wise He is how patient He is . It is amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING, May 15 2014
Richard Hobbs - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Shack (Kindle Edition)
I cried and I laughed. The book spoke to me and to my heart and soul. The gift the author presents to "us humans" is wonderful. His words wonderful in presenting, introducing us to God and His family and what the Word of God really is about. "Pull up a chair and let's talk".

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, May 6 2014
This review is from: The Shack (Kindle Edition)
I'm not sure what to make of this book. It's not bad, the story in and of itself is interesting enough, but I didn't find it particularly life changing. I think you'd have to heavily subscribe to the Christian doctrine, either actively or inactively (meaning you were raised that way and don't actively practice it, but somewhere in your mind it still has a hold over you, even perhaps without you knowing it)to get that level of enjoyment out of it. I just couldn't approach it from that perspective. (less)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 518 | Next ›

Shack, The
Shack, The by William P. Young (Paperback - July 1 2008)
CDN$ 17.00 CDN$ 12.27
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available