4.0 out of 5 stars I fully intended to dislike this book, but found myself loving it.
I am one of the people who dislikes religious organisations, rarely goes to church, and have been unsure where a loving God fits into the dreadful things that go on in the world. I picked up this book by mistake, and read it with the intention of writing a harsh review advising others to save their money. It turns out that I was wrong. This is a very readable book, which...
Published on March 21 2008 by Neko

3.0 out of 5 stars Not too Bad, Not Life Changing
The Shack is clearly an influential book, and judging by its prodigious sales a lot of people are reading it. As well I noticed that it has (especially in Canada) received a lot of controversial reviews. There are those who love it, and those who hate it passionately. It seems that a lot of this depends on the reader's theology. I would like to critique this view not...
Published on Feb. 11 2009 by Melissa M. Grant

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 519 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing; especially with all the hype, July 5 2009
T. Underwood (Waterloo, Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shack, The (Paperback)
Ok - honestly, this has been one I have struggled with for sometime.

I found the plot and dialogue somewhat forced and the character development to be one-dimensional. There were some good allegories and thoughtful elements, but I was surprised to see how sub-standard the writing was for my liking. I had a hard time finishing the book.

Unlike some people, I did not outright disagree with the theology that was embedded within, but neither was some of the characterizations of God anything revolutionary for me.

So all in all, I appreciate that this book has been written and I am glad many people are being helped by it and felt I had to read it to stay current with the industry and the best-sellers. I am glad I read it (but barely). So I tip the scales to give it a 3 out of 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is sure to be a classic by now!, Oct. 28 2012
I actually wish that I had read this book before I ever read the Bible. It explains so much of the teaching from the Bible, as well as perennial philosophy found in many traditions. Love as THE message and purpose of life comes across more beautifully and completely than any other book or commentary I have ever read or heard.

I lent the book to my dad, and he ended up ordering a pile of them to give to his friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE SHACK, March 27 2011
This review is from: Shack, The (Paperback)
Hard book to put down. After I finished reading it, I gave it to my daughter(age 40) who read it and passed it on to her daughters(age 18 & 15) and then passed it on to her hair dresser who asked if she could read it after they were finished. My son wanted to read the book so I ordered a copy of him. He read it in a few days (age 29) My friend told me that she has bought a few copies of The Shack and passed them on.

1.0 out of 5 stars I was hopeful..., July 22 2010
This review is from: Shack, The (Paperback)
I heard that his book was amazing and I am sorry to say I completely disagree. From the beginning I found "Mack" to be extremely annoying and irritating and found it difficult to connect or sympathize with the character, or any characters for that matter. I thought that the writing style was just awful, boring, seemed fake, I don't know how else to describe it. Seemed very amateur to me, cliche. Regardless of anyone's belief system, I don't really see how anyone could enjoy this book, it was painful to read. One word to sum it up, CHEESY. I actually lost my copy, and admit I haven't looked very hard to locate it.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE SHACK, July 9 2014
This was a very touching book. Good story line. I rather enjoyed the religious aspect of the book. I felt it was incorporated quite lovely. There is definately someone from above caring for us. It is just something we believe.
Even if you are not religiously inclined, you will enjoy the book as the circumstances that happened in the book....could happen to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Shack, Nov. 12 2009
Person (Saskatchewan, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Shack (Hardcover)
Not much I want to really say about this book without giving it away. I can say that this is definitely the best fiction I have ever read in my short life and possibly the greatest book i've ever read. Makes you question the meaning of life and no matter what religion you base your values on, makes you understand the true nature of God and religion.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Shack, Sept. 22 2013
This review is from: The Shack (Kindle Edition)
It is a beautiful portrayal of the working of God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit working hand in hand with humanity through trials tribulations pain sorrow and suffering drawing people into an intimate relationship with the Trinity. Offering Their understanding, compassion and ability in lives of people.
In Christ
Linda Mullin

5.0 out of 5 stars Sprat, May 8 2011
This review is from: Shack, The (Paperback)
This book is a must read. It really helped me to get a new perspective on my christian life and the God I serve. It shows the importance of relationships in our lives and that in every situation regardless of how bad it may be that God can use it for good. Great lessons from this book. I wuld and do recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really mind opening!, Aug. 8 2014
This review is from: Shack, The (Paperback)
Love, this book! Gets you thinking outside the box. Be open minded and you will enjoy it. I loved it so much I bought 6 copies so I could hold my first ever book club on this book. I think it would make a great discussion book, gets you thinking and would be fun to get other peoples perspective on it as well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, March 16 2011
This review is from: Shack, The (Paperback)
Read this for a book club. Girl who chose the book couldn't say enough about this "awesome" read. Once Mack hit the shack I lost all interest. Flipped through the pages and couldn't believe he was in the shack for the entire book. It was a chore to get through. Even my Mom, who is a devote Christian, found it so far fetched that it ruined the book for her. I was expecting to find this book moving and was very curious to read it. I can't tell you how disappointed I was. I do not understand the great reviews this book has received. Am I missing something???

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 519 | Next ›

Shack, The
Shack, The by William P. Young (Paperback - July 1 2008)
CDN$ 17.00 CDN$ 12.27