4.0 out of 5 stars I fully intended to dislike this book, but found myself loving it.
I am one of the people who dislikes religious organisations, rarely goes to church, and have been unsure where a loving God fits into the dreadful things that go on in the world. I picked up this book by mistake, and read it with the intention of writing a harsh review advising others to save their money. It turns out that I was wrong. This is a very readable book, which...
Published on March 21 2008 by Neko

3.0 out of 5 stars Not too Bad, Not Life Changing
The Shack is clearly an influential book, and judging by its prodigious sales a lot of people are reading it. As well I noticed that it has (especially in Canada) received a lot of controversial reviews. There are those who love it, and those who hate it passionately. It seems that a lot of this depends on the reader's theology. I would like to critique this view not...
Published on Feb. 11 2009 by Melissa M. Grant

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 518 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Experience from start to finish!, Feb. 12 2014
This review is from: The Shack (Kindle Edition)
This book will forever be life changing for me. It truly opened my eyes to a new way to live and reflect on God and others. If you never read anything else, you MUST read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! What a read!, Feb. 10 2014
This review is from: The Shack (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the first book in years, yes years, that didn't bore me after the first 20 pages. I can't remember the last time I read an entire book but this one was done in 24 hours! It is so well written that you almost feel like you are right there with Mack as he experiences first a tragedy and then discovers that while things can happen that make us sad, with understanding of God and God's love for all his children, the sadness can be replaced by peace. So many questions are addressed such as life purpose, why 'bad' things happen, the limitations we place on ourselves, the result of having free will, and so much more. I can't recommend this book highly enough!

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't Believe Everything You Read On The Internet, or likewise., Feb. 1 2014
This review is from: The Shack (Paperback)
I heard about this book and took a chance on it. I'm not a devout Christian although I do believe there has to be 'something' greater than us out 'there'. But I have difficulty believing 'it' is going to guide a person into a forest to help find the answer to a crime. Can the reader honestly believe that God guided the character to find answers? I would really like to believe in that divine intervention, but this is a book, not a bonafide re-enactment or statement of proof of the Holy. It is simply a work of fiction that ties into a person's belief system: if you are devout, then this story is real; if you have skepticism, then this is just a well-written story.

There is controversy about this book in various religious groups, so that there tells me people will believe what they are raised to believe. Unless YOU experience a meeting of the Divine, with proof somehow (good luck!), no one can actually say the TRUTH of this story no more than mankind can prove Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, or pots of gold at the end of rainbows. This is a sad, but well told story. Read it with a grain of salt.

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect book to buy for a birthday or special gift., Jan. 27 2014
This review is from: The Shack (Paperback)
Excellent message ,down to earth and good for either male or female to read!! A must read! Excellent book for teenagers, middle adults and seniors. You can learn and apply so many great concepts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelivable, Jan. 17 2014
This review is from: The Shack (Kindle Edition)
Still blown away by this novel, it has me thinking every day about it. Not sure where to go with my thinking

5.0 out of 5 stars cannot put this book down, Jan. 10 2014
This review is from: The Shack (Paperback)
excellent book, will probably finish it tonight. Very moving, goes deep and perfect for today's energy and most importantly hope. FAST delivery, I love it :):)

5.0 out of 5 stars A source of Challenge, Confusion and Hope all in one place, Dec 30 2013
This review is from: The Shack (Kindle Edition)
This book challenges the ideas that we hold close to us about God the Father,
Jesus, the son and the Holy Spirit while stirring up some
confusion as to what the truth might be and what it means but still offering a glimmer of hope for our broken civilization and earth.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read!, Dec 26 2013
This review is from: The Shack (Mass Market Paperback)
The most insightful book I have ever read when trying to make sense of tragedy in life and how God fits into the picture. It really helps deal with the bitterness and anger that accompanies us when something unjust happens to us.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Shack, Dec 19 2013
This review is from: The Shack (Paperback)
I read this book several months after it topped the charts and people stopped telling me that I just had to read it. I had seen a few interviews with W.P. Young and it was his character and his story that led me to read it. I am a Christian. The book is well-written, the narrative such that it the story telling style, and his interpretation of "spiritual" concepts are translated into life experiences, for example: The garden as a representation of Mack's soul. It surprisingly, for me, made me laugh, and cheer and cry... it clarified some questions I had, the emotional impact was unexpected and immediate, and there were 2-3 times when I wept. It was a freeing experience for me. In speaking with other Christians, there was no grey area, it was either, "Excellent! It changed me." or " Ridiculous... A waste of time." I believe this to be directly related to each individual's experience with the Christian message, and their personality. Each Christian believes "church" is to be conducted in a certain way, the result is a variety of ways to practise ones faith. This is religion, and much to my delight, it is the answer Mack receives, as he is confused about how to worship , how to pray, and God through Mr. Young clearly states that religion was not his plan or design. Just ask yourself is this supported in the Bible or man-made. God made it simple, we complicated it with rules, regulations, obligations and the result is a generation that can't relate and don't engage. I encourage everyone to give this book a shot and I am grateful to Amazon for their used books/$0.01 prices as I have ordered and given a number of them away. Thanks for the opportunity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and wonderfully written!, Dec 12 2013
This review is from: The Shack (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and look forward to re-reading it. The contents of this book have started me on a new journey of my own. One that I'm looking forward to.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 518 | Next ›

The Shack
The Shack by William P. Young (Paperback - July 1 2008)
CDN$ 17.00 CDN$ 12.27