5.0 out of 5 stars Corner fast, smile and say Damn! I did that well.
Keith Code and Ken Hough ("Proficient Motorcycling") have helped to demystify motorcycle behavior in turns. The concept of countersteering seems strange till you watch a bike coming directly at you and the wheel suddenly, (but temporarily) turns in the opposite direction of the subsequent turn. I've been a street rider (always having a fast/modified bike) since...
Published on Sept. 28 2002 by Norm Birndorf

3.0 out of 5 stars Those damned stars .....
Many reviewers recommend reading this book over and over. This is partly needed because it's not particularly well written, as others have noted. Poor writing shouldn't impact the quality of the content, which is good - but the book has me nearly at screaming point with the incessant stars that highlight words that are defined at the end of each chapter. Each and every...
Published on Feb. 6 2007 by Mawgirl

5.0 out of 5 stars Ride a bike? Get this book. You'll learn something., Aug. 31 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Twist of the Wrist Vol. II: The Basics of High Performance Motorcycle Riding (Paperback)
If this book simply teaches you to analyze and improve your riding, it will have done it's job. So maybe the writing style isn't perfect - I'd rather read a handbook by a "writing rider" than a "riding writer". I personally got more out of "Volume II" (this one) than "Volume I", but since getting both costs less than a few tanks of gas, it's worth buying the pair. I had been riding daily fo 10 years when I picked up this book, but was new to sportbikes - it changed my world, for the better. As a side note, if you're a recovering addict you'll be inspired by Mr. Code.

1.0 out of 5 stars Maybe good information, very poorly written book, Aug. 22 1999
By A Customer
This book maybe good for racers, but is of zero value to daily riders and is written very poorly. What these people need is not an independent publishing firm, they need a good editor. They preach a single rule throughout the first half od the book, and repeat it in so many boring ways, with so many boring examples that you do not want to read any more. The side notes that are scattered through the book have no connection to the text, the illustrations are irrelevant, and the stupidest of all are the asterisks, scattered randomly through the text explaining words such as 'Identical', 'Determine', 'Exception', 'Respect'....
Conclusion: Go to the MSF training, Mr Code and Mr Chandler need to go to basic writing training.

5.0 out of 5 stars Without knowing, a bike reacts the opposite way !, May 13 1999
By A Customer
When you read "A Twist of the wrist I and II" you will drive better! The two main things I learned were : 1) When an uncofortable situations occurs, you (= the driver) will react wrong. 2) If you try to steer or to correct the bike, it will react the opposite way.// I wanted to do faster corners and tried to hang off the bike to get my knee down. I took my time and I gradually added speed. At the time (before reading the book) everything I did seemed logic and safe to me. After reading the book I knew that I had been riding very dangerously and it was a mirracle I didn't crash !! These books are full of tips and knowledge you really should know. Example 1 : What happens when you steer right ? Try it and don't be surprised when the bike goes left. What if this happens when you are trying to avoid a lorry ? Read it and find out more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading for all, not just racers, March 28 1999
By A Customer
He's not a proffesional writer, but it's obvious he understands bikes and how to help you understand them, too. This book will help your abilities grow closer to the motorcycle's abilities which will make you smoother and safer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good resource for new/returning roadracers., March 24 1999
By A Customer
This book is a big improvement, over the original Volume I version from years ago; which seemed to contain more brain teasers, than actual riding mechanics. The key topics that a new racer would likely need to think about, appear to be highlighted in this version. For me, I found the book's riding references to be mainly looking at the racetrack, and not all aspects are things I'm willing to attempt to experiment with while riding with cars around me on public roads. I recently came across another book on AMAZON ("Sportbiking The Real World"), which seems to be a better fit for me as a street going only sportbike rider, but I'm keeping this book around too. The glossary of terms that Keith's included at the rear of this book, seemed a bit misguided; defining common English language words that a 6th grader would know? Overall, a good resource for new racers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book on the finer points of motorcycle riding., March 15 1999
By A Customer
This book deals mainly with steering by use of lean (counter steering) and throttle control. It also discusses rider fears (survival reactions) and how to overcome them. Even though the book is geared toward racing, everybody can learn basic do's and don'ts that may save your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars NOW I FEEL SAFER ON THE STREET, Nov. 28 1998
By A Customer
THIS WAS AN ENORMOUS BOOST TO MY RIDING SKILL. I HAD BEEN RACING FOR ONLY A YEAR WHEN I READ THIS BOOK. THE THING THAT IS SO AMAZING ABOUT THIS BOOK IS THAT YOU WILL BE INFORMED WHETHER YOU JUST STARTED RIDING OR IF YOU WERE BORN ON TWO WHEELS.

4.0 out of 5 stars great tips, strange structure, Nov. 22 1998
Code's book is easy to read and very helpful.
What I can't quite figure is the way words like 'force', 'emotional' and 'area' are included in the glossary, while there are some more technical terms that are omitted.
Otherwise, quality stuff. Humorous, informative and well put together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Review of Sport Riding Techniques, March 8 1998
Richard M. Swier (Sarasota, Florida) - See all my reviews
Keith Code's book provided me with an understanding of the how's and why's a motorcycle performs in high speed cornering maneuvers. The book provides detailed descriptions of why the motorcycle reacts as it does to rider, road and speed inputs. He clearly explains what to do and not to do to maintain proper driver and motorcycle conditions. He emphasises how survival responses (SRs) can cause problems when riding at high speeds and cornering at high speeds. A very well done book that I scan prior to each ride.

Twist of the Wrist Vol. II: The Basics of High Performance Motorcycle Riding