5.0 out of 5 stars The Fundamentals Made Easy, July 7 2004
This review is from: Algebra Survival Guide: A Conversational Handbook for the Thoroughly Befuddled (Paperback)
Let me start by saying that in High School, I felt like a mathmatical retard. I failed math horribly. I never got the basics. It didn't help that I was a bit lazy, but nevermind that! At age 30, and a liberal arts degree later, I decided it was time to learn Algebra properly, once and for all. This book, and the workbook that goes with it was a balanced and enlightening start that truly was painless. I have just about finished the book and will be moving on to harder algebra. I would HIGHLY recommend this book to anyone looking to simply the fog that surrounds the word "ALGEBRA".

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank God for Algebra Survival Guide: a Conversational Guide, May 28 2004
It has been over 20 years since I took my college algebra course. I pulled out my old college algebra book and it was just as confusing to me now as it was then. I purchased the Algebra Survival Guide: a Conversational Guide for the Thoroughly Befuddled and the questions I had from studying my college algebra book were being answered as I studied the Algebra Survival Guide: a Conversational Guide for the Thoroughly Befuddled. This book is very informative and easy to understand and read. There are step by step instructions which I think is a blessing. It is as if Josh knew what was going through my mind as I studied my college algebra book and wrote the book for me. This book is so informative and well written that it makes learning algebra easy. Algebra is not the big bad wolf to me anymore. I am passing this book down to my 16-year-old and my 11-year-old. I wish I had had it for my 20-year-old when she took algebra in high school.

5.0 out of 5 stars This should be the standard for all math textbooks., March 27 2004
J. P. Cleaver "middle ages buff" (Cincinnati, OH USA) - See all my reviews
I returned to college recently after a long hiatus brought on largely by my poor math skills. I was determined to return to school and finish my degree, but that would mean learning algebra so I could complete the higher level courses that I would need to graduate. I purchased several other books, and while they were good in their own right, my algebra skills were below even what *those* books required.
Almost ready to give up again, I found this book and worked my way through it in about two weeks. All the complexity of algebra was completely taken away and I was able to work with concepts that I had never truly understood before then. Since returning to college, I've maintained a high A average in each math class I've taken and have encountered no difficulty in each course.
Math begins at the basics and this book explains those basics like nothing else I've seen. 5 stars all the way, no reservations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful resource for new or returning students, July 17 2003
"mmc1952" (Camarillo, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book because my eighth grader will be taking Algebra I this year and I knew that my rusty algebra skills would be of no help to her when it came time to slog through homework. The first thing I've got to say about this book is that I wish I had Josh Rappaport as a teacher all those years ago when I took Algebra I and II! With his book he takes you step-by-step through everything you'll need to know about basic algebra by using a very easy to read Q and A format. Best of all he does it with a delightful sense of humor and absolutely no suggestion that any question is too basic to cover. Everything is in here from basic number properties right through to quadratic equations and coordinate planes. For the cost of taking your kids out for a fast food lunch, you can purchase this great book that will save you (and your child) so much grief as you learn algebra.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Clouds of Confusion Have Parted! Algebra Is Clear!, May 23 2003
Robert A. Jacques (Bainbridge Island, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This delightful, easily understood explanation of algebra's basic concepts saved my hide in a standardized math test I had to take last week! I spent two days studying this book and suddenly felt like a mathematician, capable of explaining exponents, coefficients, radicals, factoring, square roots, quadratic trinomials and even the slick operation of the Pythagorian theorem to other novices-- who now thought I was a math expert! Boy, I wish I'd found this lovely little text when I was in school. A perfect supplement for your kids' standard algebra textbook... or, heck, a great textbook all by itself! Buy it, and watch your kids smile when they finally understand algebra!

ARRAY(0xb3467474)