5.0 out of 5 stars Empowering Book!
Published on May 20 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Great concept, but some poor advice
I bought this book because I was moved by the concept of 'birthing from within', which I interpreted as: getting past one's fears abound birth, and using creative ways of expressing feelings.
Published on March 17 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Empowering Book!, May 20 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Birthing from Within: An Extra-Ordinary Guide to Childbirth Preparation (Paperback)
This book gently guides women to examine their own fears and assumptions about birth so that they can choose the place where they will feel most comfortable and supported giving birth. For me, this happens to be at home with a midwife, my husband, my mother and 2 trusted and fearless female friends (I also live 3 blocks from a hospital with an NICU). What I like about this book is its emphasis on discovering what makes YOU comfortable, not some ideal birth situation that the author has in mind. I had just assumed that I wanted a hospital birth, since I work with children with disabilities and wanted the "safest" place in which to give birth. As I read the chapter on home birth (which the author almost did not put into the book), I was amazed to read what the actual research said about home births and hospital births and safety issues. It took me a couple of weeks of working my way through the book, but I realized in a flash that I did not want to give birth in a hospital! Again, this is the right choice for ME, not the ONLY right choice. Luckily, my husband was very interested from the start in a home birth as well.
There are also some very helpful techniques in the book for coping with the intense sensations surrounding labor and delivery, and wonderful right-brain practices for uncovering and facing fears you may have regarding your images of childbirth pain, past birth experiences you may have had, inadequacy as a mother, etc.
This book is empowering and illuminating. It helped me move from feeling and behaving like a passenger in the vehicle of pregnancy-birth to being in the driver's seat. It is a great antidote to what books like "What to Expect" tell you about birth options and strategies for coping with sensations and fears.
I also was relieved and so pleased that an author finally had the courage to write about an aspect of birth that is usually ignored in almost ALL childbirth books: the spiritual aspect. This book acknowledges that pregnancy and birth are not just about a physical process, but about the birth of a new being, a mother, and a family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous and Very Informative, March 1 2006
Dianne Ford (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
I have read several pregnancy books from the popular "What to Expect When Expecting" to the fluffy "Girlfriend's Guide." This has been the best book to prepare me emotionally and intellectually for the process of labour, delivery and becoming a mother. It has helped me to start many conversations with friends who have children, my own mother, grandmother and my husband to discuss the birthing process in a meaningful way.
The book's layout is extremely easy to read, and the author gives a lot of stories and quite a bit of medical research summaries to inform and open the reader's eyes and heart. While she does lean towards a "natural birth," she gives a lot of information and discussion towards the medically assisted births as well with the intent of assisting mothers becoming an active agent in the birth process and to not fear or regret whatever may occur.
There are two books I've insisted my husband read: "Your Pregnancy: Week by Week" by Curtis & Schuler and this book. The week by week book is the best for the physical aspects of the baby's development and my physical health, and this book for awareness of the emotional and cultural aspects, as well as the mechanics of labour and delivery!
It also has some very good pieces of advice for the birthing partner, which are easy to remember and empower him/her through the process as well. (My husband is already practicing offering me three fingers instead of four for griping onto, as apparently four can lead to a husband with a broken finger. Who knew?!?)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not into the art stuff AT ALL- but very empowering, April 30 2004
Lindsey Hamilton "bluerewbie" (Sacramento, CA) - See all my reviews
In natural birth - PAIN IS A REALITY! Pain is my biggest fear, and this book offers fabulous coping techniques and methods to pratice them before labor using ice cubes as the pain for you to manage. Women I mentioned this to said that was a very ingenious method they wish they could've used.
The art stuff I just skipped over.. I don't know how one reviewer thinks this focuses on New Mexico and Indians, the author refers to women all over the world who birth naturally and how us Westernized women can empower ourselves with these other women's natural strengths and resources to get through labor. I mean, c'mon, we wimp out at a headache and have Advil at our fingertips.. we Americans don't deal with pain very well. This book DOES NOT BEAT DOWN HOSPITALS NOR DOES IT GIVE NOTHING BUT HORROR STORIES! Even though homebirth is ideal, the book offers many ways to make the hospitals more comforting, and relaxing (and stories of how it worked for others). Howling like a coyote is not what she recommends! Any form of vocalization is encouraged, even chanting the f-word if that's what suits you. Vocalization is natural and helps cope with pain. The howling happened in one of the classes only to get women comfortable with making noise. Most of us are embarrassed to, and are shushed by the hospital staff in labor.
I am certainly not going to use all the techniques here, but the imagery and pain techniques and ways to progress labor effectively are INSPIRING! I can't wait to try them out when I give birth this summer.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST one out there..., June 27 2004
I am 32 weeks pregnant with my second child and I just got done reading this book. I wanted to see what other people thought of it and read some of the reveiws. After reading a few negative ones I wanted to warn people that the book is very open to every option not just homebirth. This book takes evey birthing situation (even c-section) and tells you how to make it a positive and beautiful experence. I have to admit though some people might think the book way out there, but keep your mind open and give it a try. I've read a LOT of pregnancy/childbirth books and this one is by far the BEST one.
***and if you read the book you will notice that never does it say to "howl like a wolf" when in labor, so don't worry when you read those reveiws that say that, those people misunderstood it.***

3.0 out of 5 stars Great concept, but some poor advice, March 17 2003
By A Customer
It was a surprise to find in this book suggestions like having peroxide to put on the cord after a homebirth. When I saw that, I flipped to the front cover to see the publication date, and was amazed to see this is a recent publication (1998)- it's been known for years now that the cord heals best if left alone.
More shocking to me was the advice (p.273-5)to introduce a bottle to the baby at 3-4 weeks of age (Contrary to the WHO code!) The authors say they do not recommend exclusively breastfeeding on demand.
If you purchase this book, be sure to rely on others for more current and accurate infant care advice. I hope a new edition will contain more appropriate advice. For the time being, I suggest you view this book with caution.

5.0 out of 5 stars An insightful guide to creating your unique, positive birth, March 15 2004
Liesl Calado (Mountain View, CA) - See all my reviews
Even though I am hoping for an unmedicated birth in a hospital, I thought this book would be "too alternative" for me. However, I am so thankful that I read this at the suggestion of my doula - who happens to be a Birthing from Within instructor. There are definitely some passages that don't mesh with my personal preferences and birth philosophy, but I was able to overlook those and find some truly wonderful morsels of wisdom that touched me. After all, every birth and every woman is different, so you don't have to follow the book to the letter or believe in every opinion presented.
For me, the most helpful aspect of this book was the assumption that the birth would take place in a hospital. What have become routine procedures for birth in most hospitals scare me very much, so I have chosen a doctor and birth attendants who support my decision for a natural, intervention-free birth. However, most books I have read that share my viewpoint are extremely anti-hospital and only serve to increase my anxiety level. (I did consider home birth - my first choice - but ultimately decided against it for various reasons.) Although "Birthing from Within" contains some horrible stories of hospital births, I appreciated that the book's focus is on making a hospital birth a rewarding experience, NOT trying to avoid a hospital birth. It provided me with techniques for working through my fears of the hospital and ways I can cope if events don't go exactly as I hope.
The section for fathers is perhaps my favorite part of the book because it is so well-written and contains some wonderful advice. I also was thrilled to read the chapter on "baby-proofing your marriage." Before reading "Birthing from Within", I had yet to come across a birth book that positively addressed the impact of a baby on marriage, if it addressed the issue at all. Not that this book looks at the issue from behind rose-tinted glasses! But it prompts discussion before the baby's arrival, so couples are prepared.
Overall, this book has not only positively encouraged me to work on my personal beliefs and fears about birth, but has also provided my husband and me with some valuable discussion points so we can both approach the impending birth of our first child with confidence. I encourage all mothers-to-be to read this book with an open mind. Some suggestions may work for you, others may not; use what speaks to you to create the birth experience that fits YOU.

4.0 out of 5 stars The best book for your second birth, Nov. 25 2001
Christine Pillado "cavsig" (Northern VA) - See all my reviews
After a long and harrowing first birth, I was looking for something more than the vanilla What To Expect When You're Expecting and with more information than you get from your doctor on ways to prevent a C-section and avoid drugs.
This is that book. There is a lot of "get in touch with yourself" art projects and such but there is also a lot of medical information and advice.
This book, more than any other, prepared me for the birth of my second child. And, I am happy to say, that despite no mid-wife and a husband who thought I was crazy not to take an epidural, I delivered au naturale after seven hours of labor. The rice socks were a life saver!
Know your options and understand them. Read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars From midwife to midwife, May 16 2004
Like Pam England, I am also a certified nurse-midwife. My midwifery journey has my train currently stationed at Birthing From Within. The framework this book provides is allowing me a context from which to help women that I never received in my midwifery education or my own pregnancy and mothering experience. The book highlights what happens in the BFW classroom, the real transformative journey. If there is any way that you can take a BFW series in your pregnancy, it will be a life changing event that will help you see your pregnancy, birth, and parenting from a very deep spiritual, emotional, and intimate way. BFW can create the connectedness to your soul, your partner, your baby, and your family that is your heart's desire. BFW answers those deep hidden questions that are part of your belief system that you most assuredly don't even know are there, driving your choices for your entire pregnancy journey. BFW also promotes midwifery as the model of choice and I hope it creates more midwifery converts, especially those that have done the required hard internal, personal work that it takes to be truly "with women".

5.0 out of 5 stars an empowering tool, Dec 2 2003
By A Customer
As the event of the birth became more real to me, this book was recommended to me. It helped turn my fear and aniexity about labor and birth into knowledge and confidence in my own abilities. I think there are two components to the birthing event; pain and fear. Pain can be managed either by your own body or by medical intervention but fear can turn the event into a scary chaos. This book helps to dispell fear and educate you about pain and coping. It is clearly written to encourage women who are thinking about natural childbirth but there is a lot of information that could be very helpful for those who choose differently. I felt very empowered by this book - I finished it feeling a confidence in my own body's ability to birth a child. Birthing a child is a rite of passage - this book puts the focus on you, your transition into motherhood and can help you be mentally present for the birth of your child - however it may happen!
And yes, I did manage to do it naturally - this book was very supportive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Childbirth: medical or spiritual?, Oct. 22 2003
Birthing from Within is extremely helpful to expecting women, their partner, and their support systems IF your inner core believes in a spiritual component to childbirth. For people who find strength in the medical model, may find some concepts difficult to understand and relate to. The author clearly prefers a natural birth if possible and encourages women to give birth naturally. Many practical pain relief techniques are provided to help with making this a possible reality.
I felt the author did well at presenting curent medical model childbirth options and presenting and exploring new ideas and 'new' ways of looking at the birthing process. New? Women have successfully given birth for thousands of years prior to the invention of modern medicine. The author also makes practical and helpful suggestions for partners and birthing companions (such as only offering 3 fingers to a woman while she is having a contraction to reduce the chances of her breaking one of your fingers). It is empowering if your core beliefs match that being presented.

Birthing from Within: An Extra-Ordinary Guide to Childbirth Preparation