5.0 out of 5 stars Empowering Book!
Published on May 20 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Great concept, but some poor advice
I bought this book because I was moved by the concept of 'birthing from within', which I interpreted as: getting past one's fears abound birth, and using creative ways of expressing feelings.
Published on March 17 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Empowering Book!, May 20 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Birthing from Within: An Extra-Ordinary Guide to Childbirth Preparation (Paperback)
This book gently guides women to examine their own fears and assumptions about birth so that they can choose the place where they will feel most comfortable and supported giving birth. For me, this happens to be at home with a midwife, my husband, my mother and 2 trusted and fearless female friends (I also live 3 blocks from a hospital with an NICU). What I like about this book is its emphasis on discovering what makes YOU comfortable, not some ideal birth situation that the author has in mind. I had just assumed that I wanted a hospital birth, since I work with children with disabilities and wanted the "safest" place in which to give birth. As I read the chapter on home birth (which the author almost did not put into the book), I was amazed to read what the actual research said about home births and hospital births and safety issues. It took me a couple of weeks of working my way through the book, but I realized in a flash that I did not want to give birth in a hospital! Again, this is the right choice for ME, not the ONLY right choice. Luckily, my husband was very interested from the start in a home birth as well.
There are also some very helpful techniques in the book for coping with the intense sensations surrounding labor and delivery, and wonderful right-brain practices for uncovering and facing fears you may have regarding your images of childbirth pain, past birth experiences you may have had, inadequacy as a mother, etc.
This book is empowering and illuminating. It helped me move from feeling and behaving like a passenger in the vehicle of pregnancy-birth to being in the driver's seat. It is a great antidote to what books like "What to Expect" tell you about birth options and strategies for coping with sensations and fears.
I also was relieved and so pleased that an author finally had the courage to write about an aspect of birth that is usually ignored in almost ALL childbirth books: the spiritual aspect. This book acknowledges that pregnancy and birth are not just about a physical process, but about the birth of a new being, a mother, and a family.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great concept, but some poor advice, March 17 2003
By A Customer
It was a surprise to find in this book suggestions like having peroxide to put on the cord after a homebirth. When I saw that, I flipped to the front cover to see the publication date, and was amazed to see this is a recent publication (1998)- it's been known for years now that the cord heals best if left alone.
More shocking to me was the advice (p.273-5)to introduce a bottle to the baby at 3-4 weeks of age (Contrary to the WHO code!) The authors say they do not recommend exclusively breastfeeding on demand.
If you purchase this book, be sure to rely on others for more current and accurate infant care advice. I hope a new edition will contain more appropriate advice. For the time being, I suggest you view this book with caution.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST one out there..., June 27 2004
I am 32 weeks pregnant with my second child and I just got done reading this book. I wanted to see what other people thought of it and read some of the reveiws. After reading a few negative ones I wanted to warn people that the book is very open to every option not just homebirth. This book takes evey birthing situation (even c-section) and tells you how to make it a positive and beautiful experence. I have to admit though some people might think the book way out there, but keep your mind open and give it a try. I've read a LOT of pregnancy/childbirth books and this one is by far the BEST one.
***and if you read the book you will notice that never does it say to "howl like a wolf" when in labor, so don't worry when you read those reveiws that say that, those people misunderstood it.***

4.0 out of 5 stars Not into the art stuff AT ALL- but very empowering, April 30 2004
Lindsey Hamilton "bluerewbie" (Sacramento, CA) - See all my reviews
In natural birth - PAIN IS A REALITY! Pain is my biggest fear, and this book offers fabulous coping techniques and methods to pratice them before labor using ice cubes as the pain for you to manage. Women I mentioned this to said that was a very ingenious method they wish they could've used.
The art stuff I just skipped over.. I don't know how one reviewer thinks this focuses on New Mexico and Indians, the author refers to women all over the world who birth naturally and how us Westernized women can empower ourselves with these other women's natural strengths and resources to get through labor. I mean, c'mon, we wimp out at a headache and have Advil at our fingertips.. we Americans don't deal with pain very well. This book DOES NOT BEAT DOWN HOSPITALS NOR DOES IT GIVE NOTHING BUT HORROR STORIES! Even though homebirth is ideal, the book offers many ways to make the hospitals more comforting, and relaxing (and stories of how it worked for others). Howling like a coyote is not what she recommends! Any form of vocalization is encouraged, even chanting the f-word if that's what suits you. Vocalization is natural and helps cope with pain. The howling happened in one of the classes only to get women comfortable with making noise. Most of us are embarrassed to, and are shushed by the hospital staff in labor.
I am certainly not going to use all the techniques here, but the imagery and pain techniques and ways to progress labor effectively are INSPIRING! I can't wait to try them out when I give birth this summer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for those who believe in mind over matter., July 25 2009
Interesting perspectives on the power of a woman to control labour and delivery. Has lots of activites to do. Not for those out of touch with their visionary side.

4.0 out of 5 stars The best book for your second birth, Nov. 25 2001
Christine Pillado "cavsig" (Northern VA) - See all my reviews
After a long and harrowing first birth, I was looking for something more than the vanilla What To Expect When You're Expecting and with more information than you get from your doctor on ways to prevent a C-section and avoid drugs.
This is that book. There is a lot of "get in touch with yourself" art projects and such but there is also a lot of medical information and advice.
This book, more than any other, prepared me for the birth of my second child. And, I am happy to say, that despite no mid-wife and a husband who thought I was crazy not to take an epidural, I delivered au naturale after seven hours of labor. The rice socks were a life saver!
Know your options and understand them. Read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars many ideas, April 16 2014
We are blessed this book has come into our journey into pregnancy. It has provided many encouraging tips to help me prep for baby.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well rounded and insightful!, Aug. 21 2013
I picked up this book because my midwife recommended it. Birth is such a personal and individual experience and I felt that this book solidified this notion. It encourages midwifery as an alternative to "conventional hospital births" for low risk pregnancies in a way that does not condemn woman who make other choices for their births. In current society modern medicine has changed the way woman give birth and the options available. I felt this book helped to debunk the myths and fears associated with these changes. Most importantly, the book helps prepare woman for motherhood and seeing birth as a part of life and something to cherish. I have read other birthing books (Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin), and I felt that Birthing From Within was the most unbiased in terms of "information sharing" on several topics from interventions, VBAC, and pain management. For me personally, what I wanted out of a birthing book was encouragement, facts about birthing, and information that would be relate-able. This book accomplishes that and I feel mentally prepared for whatever situations may arise during my birth. I strongly encourage this book because it doesn't matter where you give birth, what is important is that parents and birthing companions have access to information that will provide enlightenment, support, and education.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not sure how this book would actually help you while IN labour, Nov. 29 2012
This book was mis-printed. Started at page 36 and the first 3 chapters were included twice.

I couldn't even finish the book. I was looking for help to prepare for labour and the book was asking me to draw pictures. I tried to go along with it but quickly lost patience with the authour and the tangents.

Needless to say nothing I read in this book actually HELPED me while I was in labour. A much better book would be "Mind over Labour" by Carl Jones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed, June 8 2012
I was very happy with this book, I purchased it for a birthing class. This book is good for people who want to try to give birth without the use of pain medication and need coping techniques to get through the pain. It is good whether you plan to birth at home or in the hospital.

I found the pricing on Amazon to be much cheaper than Chapters/Indigo and the delivery was way faster than they told me it would be.

Birthing from Within: An Extra-Ordinary Guide to Childbirth Preparation