Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

Format: PaperbackChange

Showing 1-1 of 1 reviews(2 star).Show all reviews
on February 1, 2004
I like the idea of this book, but the reality of it just didn't work for me. This book is VERY judgemental about the choice to have a hospital birth. It pounds into your head seveeral times about how awful hospital birth is. This might have been true for my mother's or even grandmother's generation, but now, a hospital is a consumer oriented environment. The hospital I've chosen (I'm 31 weeks) has you check into the same room that you deliver in. It looks like a hotel (except for the flooring). The baby sleeps and stays in your room, and only goes to the nursery if you or your husband accompany him/her. I've known and trusted my doctor for 4 years, why on earth would I trust my baby's life with some stranger/midwife? What if something bad happens? Midwifes just don't have the training for that. I just couldn't be comfortable with that. If this book even mentioned that there are cases where you can have a great birthing experience (ie "birthing from within") in a hospital, then I wouldn't be so turned off by it. I live in California and consider myself spiritual, which is why I got this book. I like to read about my options, and this book didn't even mention the remote possiblity that hospitals have changed since the author was a nurse 25 years ago. She never said one single nice thing about hospitals. All stories given were negative.
So that's my opinion on this book. However, IF you are planning on having a home birth and have no desire for an epidural, then this book gives some really good advice on pain management techniques. The bottom line is whatever decision you make, it's the best one for you, and nobody has the right to decide that for you or judge you.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse