5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, April 27 2004
H. Kim (Worcester, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Scientist & Engineer's Guide to Digital Signal Processing (Hardcover)
I have BS in computer science and 8 years of S/W development experience in telecommunication industry. But my primary skill is protocol development and systems programming.
But as a music lover, as a musician, I've been interested in DSP technology for a long time and tried several times to get acquainted to the technology with no avail.
I guess the reason I failed is I couldn't understand the exact meaning of mathematical languages in DSP area.
I'm still in the middle of this book but now I can understand what the mathematical languages mean. The author is very precise using math languages and translate the language into easy plain english without missing any clarity and bravity of mathematical language.
I'm gonna keep working on DSP with this book as my hobby and finally when the time comes, all I gotta do is use my programming skill to develop a useful DSP S/W.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great start into DSP, April 8 2004
Manfred (Eichwalde Deutschland) - See all my reviews
This book tells everything you have to know about the mathematics to realise any signal processing application.
With the help of the examples (written in BASIC, I have some adapted into C) you can realize filters and signal synthesis/processing with FFT. There is no theoretical overhead.
With the help of this book I have developed a modem software within four monthes, without any basic knowledge in DSP.

The Scientist & Engineer's Guide to Digital Signal Processing
The Scientist & Engineer's Guide to Digital Signal Processing by Steven W. Smith (Hardcover - March 1998)
Used & New from: CDN$ 97.99