5.0 out of 5 stars Edly's not pretty, but I love his book just the same, Dec 5 2002
"cleverjoe" (CleverJoe.com Canadian musician's resource) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Edly's Music Theory for Practical People (Paperback)
I want you to imagine your favorite school teacher ever. You know - the one who always managed to put a smile on your face, and somehow make learning fun. My personal favorite was my grade three teacher Ms. O'neil, who was not only a nice teacher but also a very pretty woman. Yes, I was hot for teacher. I digress. Edly may not be pretty, but his book gives me the same smile and gentle encouragement that Ms O'Neil offered way back when.
This book is for people who have always wanted to learn music theory, but hate the idea of actually sitting down to try. Edly allows you relax into the learning process, and helps you to think outside the conventional learning box. With lots of great pictures and hand drawn helpfuls, learning becomes fun, interesting and at the risk of sounding redundant or repeating myself, not boring.
Edly's Music Theory is a practical book for practical people. An immensely fun way to learn, CleverJoe recommends this book to practical people everywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars You need this book, Jan. 16 2004
DioMio "dio104" (Grandview, MO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Edly's Music Theory for Practical People (Paperback)
This book gives you exactly what you need to make sense of music. I can now easily work up major and minor scales. I understand what modes are. I can harmonize major scales (important). I know how to substitute chords and why the substitutions work. My playing has already improved. I'm only on page 41.
Supposedly, this book has sold 22,000 copies. I recommend making it 22,001 and getting yourself a copy. I can't believe how complete it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on music theory ever, March 25 2002
wysewomon "wysewomon" (Paonia, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Edly's Music Theory for Practical People (Paperback)
I was one of those professional musicians -- and there are a lot of us out there! -- who didn't know very much about music theory. Music theory's for college cats, dig? Then I started giving lessons, and I figured I'd better know what I was talking about. So I bought this book. Edly makes music theory charming, funny, and interesting with a combination of explanation, practical example, and humour. Believe it or not, this book is hard to put down once you get going. For me, much of the book was a revelation of "Oh, so that's what I've been doing!" than any new information, but it's great to be able to understand and talk about music on a deeper level. The book is geared towards jazz and blues players, but the information is easily adapted to any genre. A must for anyone, from beginner to professional, who wants to deepen his understanding of western music!

5.0 out of 5 stars A music theory book that's hard to put down (imagine that!), July 7 2000
A. Triolo (Manalapan, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Edly's Music Theory for Practical People (Paperback)
This is by far the most entertaining book on music theory I have ever read. It is one of the most understandable and easy to read books on theory, too. The book covers all of the fundamental areas of theory from diatonic intervals to chord construction to tritone substitutions. Ear training is also covered as is the philosophy of improvisation (including tips for better improv.) I would wholeheartedly recommend that anyone new to music theory read the book cover to cover. Experienced musicians will find it useful as a reference.

ARRAY(0xab36bfc0)

Edly's Music Theory for Practical People
Edly's Music Theory for Practical People by Edly (Paperback - Dec 1999)
Used & New from: CDN$ 22.09