5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow, entertaining to read.
Published on Nov. 6 2002 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Sober second thought
Published on Nov. 2 2011 by John Shelley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Sober second thought, Nov. 2 2011
John Shelley (Stone Creek MB Canada) - See all my reviews
I agreed with all the other glowing reviews until I read the whole book. Towards the end, she advocates taking huge doses of just about every vitamin and mineral known to man, and claims she takes them herself, and tells us not to worry about the skin flush and rash that comes from huge doses of Niacin [it's actually fun, she tells us]. I got worried when she said we should take pep pills [illegal in some situations and dangerous in all situations] to help us lose weight, and I deleted the book from my Kindle when she said she takes 3 different anti-depressants at the same time. Given these opinions, I have to question her common sense and I have my doubts about her as a source of accurate information. Some other low or zero carb advocates say you only need vitamin supplements in a high carb situation, because it's the carbs that block absorption of the vitamins and you actually get all the vitamins you need from the meat etc. Atkins recommends minimal supplements. Nobody but Dana advocates taking pep pills under any circumstances.

1.0 out of 5 stars Look elsewhere, July 1 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: How I Gave Up My Low Fat Diet and Lost Forty Pounds!: Everybody's Guide to Low Carbohydrate Dieting (Paperback)
This book earned the dubious distinction of being the only one I ever returned to Amazon. As a nutrition writer, I was disturbed by some of the errors contained in this book. While written in a chatty, readable style, many health and nutrition claims are unsupported and some information is erroneous. For example, the author recommends a single supplement of 25,000 IU's of vitamin A, an amount five times the RDA for a fat-soluble vitamin which has toxic effects at high doses. I am a strong proponent of low-carb eating, but you can find more accurate information and advice in The Atkins Diet or The Formula (which contains a more moderate, lower fat approach -- highly recommended.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow, entertaining to read., Nov. 6 2002
Amazon Customer (Central Coast, CA) - See all my reviews
This diet may not be for everyone, but I feel like a million bucks on it. This food-o-phile has thoroughly researched many low carb diets and presents the pros and cons of many. She also presents in layman's terms simple principles of nutrition and anatomy. I found her book to be very inspirational and I can't wait to get her cookbook. Carb addicts - there is hope, and this book can help show you the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars non-scientifically speaking..., April 16 2004
By A Customer
I recommend ANYONE on ANY sort of low-carb diet read this book. Another like this one you should also have, the first being "The Secret To Low Carb Success", by Laura Richard. Both books cover low-carbing non-scientifically, and go over the many low carb plans, adding advice from the author (a real everyday person) along the way. I don't choose one over the other. They are both that good. I haven't enjoyed reading so much in years. One of the many reasons I am applauding Dana's book is because she goes into detail about the "low carb" products and foods available to us, for example, starch blockers and meal bars. Just a great book to have, newcomer or professional low-carber alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Low-Carb Common Sense, Jan. 2 2004
I loved this book. It made me laugh and it made me think. The book will give you all the information you need to make an informed decision about low-carb living. I tried to read other low-carb diet books and I usually couldn't make it passed the first chapter. This book will keep you interested! It renewed my interest in low-carb eating and it has given me the tools necessary to make it a life-long decision. Buy the book if you are thinking about eating low-carb or need to have your interest renewed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easier to Undersand than Atkins, Nov. 16 2003
I bought some books on low carb living and I found this book to be the most interesting and "layman" friendly. The author is funny and seems to have done alot of research. If you're thinking about a good low carb book, put this one in your shopping cart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh, So True!, Nov. 11 2003
I found your book exciting and refreshing, with the variety of Low Carb plans included and compared. Making the decision easier for me, to follow the Careful Carbs plan and loosing 35 pounds so far. Your sense of humor and excellent writing kept me in the book to the end. A good balance of information with out being totally bogged down by scientific facts. Also purchased the 500 Recipies Cookbook recently. Thanks Dana, your books have changed my life!

5.0 out of 5 stars Atkins with all the right tweaks. This is THE book to buy!, Nov. 9 2003
jeanne425 (REDMOND, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This book is the best summation I've seen on low-carb. It combines the contents of Atkins, Zone, and other low-carb diets with some tried and true wisdom. I first tried Atkins a few years ago on the advice of my doctor. After hitting 40 and being reasonably active, the pounds started to creep on. I lost about 25 pounds in 6 weeks and felt great, plus all my blood work results improved. Subsequently though, it seemed less effective. Cutting back on dairy and nuts and staying away from aspartame, as espoused in this book, led to better results. There are also other helpful suggestions for when you hit a plateau. Everyone's body chemistry is different, and the value of this book lies in the many 'tweaks' listed to make it work best for you. The author has done her homework and then some. You will also enjoy her breezy, witty conversational writing style as well. WELL worth the full...cover price.

5.0 out of 5 stars I did too!!, Oct. 28 2003
Before reading this book, I had already discovered low-carb, lost 35 pounds, and kept it off for 2 1/2 years. But I figured there's always something new to learn, and I learned a lot from Dana Carpender!
This is a very well researched, intelligently written book, put in interesting, fun text that we can all understand. Dana has put in the time to thoroughly research all of the current low carb plans and explains the basics of each one. I defy anyone (who's on a low fat diet that's not working) to read the FIRST CHAPTER of this book and not seriously rethink their weightloss plan!
I'll be honest, I actually got this book from my library, but I have just ordered it AND her '500 Low Carb Recipes'! I'm buying the recipe book sight unseen-I have no doubt it will be good! These are keepers! I hope to see more from Dana Carpender!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to understand., Oct. 13 2003
By A Customer
Having tired of all the promises most weight loss books have, I began to look for books that aren't hyped as much but do have loads of truth in them. I have found that the best weight loss books are those written by "normal" people. This book is such a book. Easy to understand, informative and just plain good, I would highly recommend it along with a few others. These types of books are the best because their authors have gone through what most of us go through. Great book with good advice!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›