5.0 out of 5 stars Best book to make you understand it's about your hormones
Published on Aug. 22 2002 by Fiona Fox

3.0 out of 5 stars The Menopause Diet
This book had a lot of good information, but didn't quite live up to my expectations. I found it to be too medically technical in most areas. A simple do and don't section would have been more beneficial to the average person who doesn't have a medical background. I found the menus to be quite cumbersome to prepare. In my schedule I don't have the time to prepare such...
Published on May 25 2001

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book to make you understand it's about your hormones, Aug. 22 2002
This review is from: The Menopause Diet (Paperback)
This book is still on target for being written in 1999. I lost 27 pounds and have not regained it since I followed Dr. Gillespie's very sound, documented advice. It's all about our hormones, and how they affect our health. The chapter on "Are Hormones Making You Fat?" is worth gold, as it explains why a little ERT ( not HRT..doesn't anyone at MassEDU read???)goes a long way towards protecting us from the diseases brought on by aging and lack of exercise. This plan gets women away from "counting" calories and instead relies upon using protein to start a meal in order to stimulate the release of glucagon, a hormone that helps to lower your insulin response. I learned that progesterone makes me feel bloated and slows down my stomach's emptying, which leads to MORE weight gain. Now I baste in low dose estradiol, exercise and eat fresh fruits, protein and good fats at will and never looked better! Anyone who says this book is pro HRT NEEDS some estrogen because they are going blind! This book was ahead of its time, presenting the dangers of progestins and premarin, yet explaining that nothing is risk free. Don't pass up this book if you want a healthy time during menopause.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly perfect plan for the rest of your life, May 9 2002
This review is from: The Menopause Diet (Paperback)
First off, if you're looking for a "quick fix" diet, the kind that "promises" you'll lose 10 pounds in 2 days, this is NOT the book for you. But if you want to understand why it can be so difficult to lose weight as you reach those menopause years and what sort of changes you need to make to keep the weight off for life, this may be the only book you need. Well-researched and written, it contained all the information I wanted- details about how the hormonal and physical changes of menopause affect weight gain, the reason why mini-meals are better than larger ones and the type of lifestyle changes I needed to make to take the weight off. And it WORKS- the proof being that I am already 6 pounds lighter in 2 weeks of eating this new way.
My only quibble (and it is a minor one) with this book is that the recipes are not necessarily family friendly (but I have to add that my family is very picky about what they'll eat) and they can take some time to make. However, I liked what I did make and the food was satisfying. Bu
Even with this minor criticism, the book is more than worth the money for the rest of the information and you can always adapt the food suggestions to your own tastes and that of your family. And for the first time in years, the weight is coming off and I feel great!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the ONLY diet book you will ever need!, March 8 2002
This review is from: The Menopause Diet (Paperback)
The Menopause Diet isn't a week-long Slim-Fast approach to losing that extra 5 lbs. to get into your bathing suit this spring. As those of us who have struggled with mid-life weight gain know, the quick-fix approach just doesn't work. As our bodies change, our eating has to change as well. The Menopause Diet book doesn't contain day-by-day or week-by-week eating plans, but rather it tells you what things to eat and what things to eliminate from your diet to get rid of your "Buddha Belly." Dr. Gillespie gives each of us the tools to make this new way of eating part of our lives; she doesn't dictate each and every mouthful of food. The recipes in The Menopause Diet are wonderful: fresh, healthy, without additives or conveniece products. For a more detailed "diet plan," I recommend The Menopause Diet Mini-Meal Cookbook, which actually gives some daily menu recommendations. The recipes in this book are really good as well. The same goes for The Gladiator Diet book, which is aimed at men. While Dr. Gillespie does use recipes that call for ingredients that might not be familiar to everyone, it is well worth the effort to find those ingredients and make the recipes. An added benefit is that the flavors and ingredients that might be new and different for some people, help to keep your mind off the fact that you aren't eating the high-carb, pot-belly-producing meals that got you to the point of buying a diet book in the first place. The Mini-Meal plan keeps you from being hungry, and the diet really, REALLY works to remove that menopausal pot belly. I can't recommend it enough. In addition to The Menopause Diet (which gives the whys and hows of the plan), and The Menopause Diet Mini-Meal Cookbook, which gives menu suggestions and many, many recipes, I recommend adding The Gladiator Diet book as well--if not for your spouse, or other male relative or friend--get it for the recipes! Try the Thai Waterfall Salad--it's really fantastic!

5.0 out of 5 stars If your looking for excuses don't read this book, Nov. 21 2001
This review is from: The Menopause Diet (Paperback)
After seeing Dr. Larrian Gillespie on tv, I bought the book and was amazed at the information. Not only did I get a new understanding of how my body was digesting food differently because of my hormones, but I understood for the first time why the marketing ploys of "natural" products, such as black cohosh etc do not support my falling estrogen levels. I learned how to be responsible for my own health and eating by using the simple recipes. I guess if you can't boil water, you might be intimidated by the recipes, which get you to use spices and other items you may have only stared at on the grocery store shelf. My husband loves the food I am now making and I don't spend more than 15 minutes putting things together. This book is not for women who are looking for excuses to remain fat and want to whine about having to shop for fresh food etc. No food or diet victims should buy this book because Dr. Larrian will put it to you truthfully. Weight doesn't magically disappear - you have to plan to lose it by exercise and choosing the right foods. This book gives you all those guidelines. It's a flexible diet, so you learn how to average your food intake and not rely upon frozen meals as the answer. My cholesterol dropped, my blood pressure came down and my hubby keeps putting his arms around my newly reappearing waistline. What more can a woman want?

5.0 out of 5 stars Get rid of that FAT, June 24 2000
This review is from: The Menopause Diet (Paperback)
DrGillispie's book is THE book to help rid yourself of that fat you thought you'd die with. I have heart disease and was unable to find any diet that fell within the confines of the way I needed to eat for life. At 52 I had become ROUND and very unhappy. I began to use this thoughtful and easily followed plan to better health, and less fat. Even with suggested frequent meals, I lost so much fat that I am now the proud owner of a trim and much healthier body. I have much more energy I have higher hemaglobin and haven't felt better in many years. Dr Gillespie's diet allows one to EAT which is an all important aspect of a feeling of wellbeing. The pounds and inches seem to just melt away. Because of the energy, exercise has easily become a daily desire rather than a chore. Every woman should be taught how to eat this way from her gynecologist and the whole of womanhood would not be fighting the "spiderbody" of after 40. With mininmal fuss anyone can use the Menopause Diet to a healthier physique and a better outlook on a longer life. Thanks Dr Gillespie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Baby Boomers are in denial!, April 30 2000
This review is from: The Menopause Diet (Paperback)
We, of the Baby Boom generation, have been in denial for quite some time. We refuse to believe that aging can actually happen to us! We still FEEL young, we think we still LOOK young, we even listen to rock and roll! But one day, (and it seems to happen overnight) we look down and our bodies have changed. In place of the slim, lithe body that could wear a bikini or a pair of hiphugger jeans, is what Dr. Gillespie called the "Buddha Belly." Either we continue with denial and wear loose tunics over elastic-waist pants and skirts for the rest of our lives, or we do something about it. The first thing to do is to buy "The Menopause Diet." The good news is: It isn't really our fault. The bad news is: Yes, we do have to change the way we eat. Dr. Gillespie explains in a clear, funny, self-deprecating, we're-all-in-this-together way, that our bodies metabolize carbohydrates differently once the hormonal balance has shifted to "menopause." Dr. Gillespie points clearly to the foods to avoid and the foods to enjoy. Changing our eating habits from three squares to smaller meals throughout the day is also one of her recommendations. But the most compelling reason to buy "The Menopause Diet" book, is that her recommendations work. And they work FAST. With a moderate amount of exercise to accompany the dietary changes, the weight just falls away, revealing the slim, if not quite as youthful, body we each remember.

5.0 out of 5 stars An exciting, well thought out plan to lose weight after 35, Dec 2 1999
This review is from: The Menopause Diet (Paperback)
Dr. Larrian Gillespie's book The Menopause Diet is a very illuminating and exciting guide for losing weight after 35. I had the terrific opportunity to interview Dr. Gillespie for my perimenopause/menopause web site and online support group HotFlash!. As the creator and editor of HotFlash! Dr. Gillespie has her book rooted in both science and common sense. She spends a great deal of time explaining how our body changes after 35 and how we must meet these changes in order to prevent weight gain and more importantly for many of us, lose weight safely. Dr. Gillespie also includes terrific cooking ideas and menu planning to make these changes easier. As I approached 35, and now at 39, I found I felt poorly after eating my favorite rolls and white rice. I couldn't eat as much as before. After reading Dr. Gillespie book, I not only understand why this happens, but now know what to do to feel well, be healthy, and lose weight! We need to pay attention to our bodies after 35 and Dr. Gillespie helps us to make these important accomodations!

5.0 out of 5 stars Vive la differance--how to be postmenopausal and feel great, Aug. 21 1999
This review is from: The Menopause Diet (Paperback)
The French expression vive la difference is a sexually flirtatious phrase about the attraction of difference. The Menopause Diet, written by Larrian Gillespie, describes la difference under the skin, how female physiology differs from the male and how it uniquely impacts a woman's daily life. Western medicine has been primarily male dominated and has done much to raise the quality of human life for Mankind. It has not focused on the physiological differences and needs of womankind. The author who has been a physician for many years has geared this book toward increasing the quality of life for women , especially around menopause and after, by using the most natural means--food and health suppplements. With humor, broad-based, comprehensive and thorough research and great appreciation for the pleasures of eating, Larrian Gillespie has offered a compendium of information , new ideas, and easy suggestions. This book is not about food punishment. Rather, it describes a flexible and satisfying way of eating that particularly suits the female metabolic and hormonal systems. The explanation of this diet makes great sense! Since I have been following this way of eating, I feel more energy, the weight is coming off slowly and I feel well-fed. Thank-you Larrain Gillespie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Menopause - Not the Worst Time in a Woman's Life!, Aug. 10 1999
This review is from: The Menopause Diet (Paperback)
I was so encouraged to know that I was not the only one who was suffering from that horrific "menopausal weight gain." I, like many others have tried all sort of diets and plans to get back my girlish figure. Dr. Gillespie has approached the subject of menopause, the dreaded time of life for women, and given us all hope and encouragment. She helps us to know that we are not helpless and can look forward to a lean and healthy body. The doctor's book is very informative, containing much scientific data, but more importantly, it is written with a sense of humor and applications to which each and every woman can apply. It is a fast read to glean out those pertinent facts that all women are seeking, but also a great source of reference when further questions arise regarding the menopause. Larrian has shared many personal experiences with the reader. This helps us all to understand why our bodies work so differently from those of the opposite sex. She is a brilliant writer -- charming, witty and encouraging to all. When my mother read "The Menopause Diet", she was impressed by all the unique and tasty recipes. I would recommend this book wholeheartedly for women of all ages. It truly is a must read for every female.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Menopause Diet
The Menopause Diet by Larrian Gillespie (Paperback - Jan. 1 2003)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.19