5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for meals and yummy treats alike!
Published on Dec 20 2004

1.0 out of 5 stars Tasteless!
These recipes are so incredibly bland! I tried several, followed to the letter, and was shocked how bland they were - I've heard so much about this book.

I know several Ukranian babas who wouldn't touch the unrolled cabbage rolls - and not because the shape isn't authentic.

Lowfat should not mean tasteless. Spices don't add a lot of calories.
Published on Sept. 27 2009 by Pantsandthecity

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for meals and yummy treats alike!, Dec 20 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Looneyspoons: Low-fat food made fun! (Paperback)
I bought this book on a recommendation from a friend and I am glad I did! The meals in this book are delicious and I feel good eating them since I know they are so healthy. The baked goods are delicious, I'm a university student and my friends go crazy when I tell them I've made "Bananaberry Bombs"! I'm definetly going to purchase Crazy Plates to expand my receipe collection. However the only bad thing I can say about the book is that I found it not very conducive to a student budget since some recipes require a fair amount of ingredients. Overall though it is a fabulous book and I highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really is fun, but great recipes, too, Nov. 5 2001
"cathst" (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
I'm one of those cookbook collectors, who owns dozens of beautiful, pristine, read but unused cookbooks. But Looneyspoons (along with it's 'sequel' Crazy Plates and of course Joy of Cooking) is the book on my shelf with the most folded, spattered, tattered, scribbled-on pages, because it is truly one of the books I go back to again and again for reliable recipes that are great and reliable.
The fact that all the recipes are low-fat is just a wonderful bonus that I forget about most of the time. Look for brownies, stews, wonderful pastas, breads, salads, and a wide selection of meat dishes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looneyspoons, Sept. 23 2012
C. Korpics (Summerfield, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Looneyspoons: Low-fat food made fun! (Paperback)
enjoying all the wonderful healthy recipes in this book. Plan to use it often
and to be enjoyed in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crazy for LooneySpoons, June 6 2011
R. Carrey "Bird In The North" (Yukon, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Looneyspoons: Low-fat food made fun! (Paperback)
Even years and years after it came out, I still love this cookbook.

The reasons are simple:

* It's visually stimulating - while there are few pictures of finished dishes (fewer things to compare myself to with a groan of self defeat), there are amusing anecdotes, factoids, cartoons and tips.

* It's Canadian. FInally, a cook book that doesn't call for a bunch of ingredients never sold north of the 49th parallel.

* it's generally all simple and straightforward ingredients and preparation. While you may not wow the prospective business partner with your European-acquired skills in cookery by using LooneySpoons, you'll find solid recipes that are (a) accessible, (b) adaptable and (c) you can pronounce them with something approaching confidence.

It's not the cookbook to use when you want to take some culinary risk, or to embark on adventures in gourmand-y, but it's a good start for some healthy, easily prepared and tasty dishes. Note: this is a great starting cookbook for young adults about to strike out on their own. Heck, it not only has a recipe for homemade mac and cheese, it provides tips on making the boxed variety less.... well, prefabbed.

Two spoons up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best cookbooks ever!, Nov. 24 2010
R. Leskiw (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Looneyspoons: Low-fat food made fun! (Paperback)
All 3 of the Podleski books are great! Low fat food that tastes better than high fat food! Can't wait for their next book!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite Cookbook, April 25 2005
By A Customer
I bought this book when it first came out. I've made just about every single recipe in this book and its successor, Crazy Plates. I have a huge recipe book collection, but it's the book I go back to every time. Whenever I serve anything from this book to friends or co-workers, after they rave about the food they say "It's from the book with the crazy name, isn't it?" Simply the best cookbook ever!

5.0 out of 5 stars I have lost 73 pounds, and am still going!, April 15 2001
D. Scott "D. Scott" (Athens, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This book, and its companion Crazy Plates, are fantastic. Partly with the help of these two books, I have been able to lose 73 pounds since last Christmas (OK, I had a lot to lose! :)) The recipes are more delicious than I thought possible - even preferable to "regular" recipies!
My favorite from this book is the outstanding breakfast omelette recipe. It tastes great, and is extremely simple to make. I could not believe how much of this dish I could eat and still stay legal!
A nice feature of the book is that every recipe has the fat and calorie information listed clearly at the bottom by portion. Take it from a big eater, the portions are generous. We have even lowered the fat and calorie content of several of the dishes in the book ourselves, substituting things like fat free chicken broth instead of standard chicken broth, I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Free for butter, egg substitutes for eggs, and black tiger shrimp (less fat and calories) for regular pink shrimp.
Even though I have lost 73 pounds, I have a good bit more to go, with maintenance after that. This book will have a welcome place in our kitchen for years to come!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great receipes, Feb. 4 2014
This review is from: Looneyspoons: Low-fat food made fun! (Paperback)
Easy to follow. Popular ingredients. Use it often and am never disappointed with outcome. Glad I bought it. Would consider anything written by them.

4.0 out of 5 stars laughing with looneyspoons, Oct. 17 2013
This review is from: Looneyspoons: Low-fat food made fun! (Paperback)
chose this book for a gift as I have used it for many years and enjoy the practical recipes and the humour!

4.0 out of 5 stars Looneyspoons, Sept. 29 2013
This review is from: Looneyspoons: Low-fat food made fun! (Paperback)
I have enjoyed reading through the cookbook. I am beginning to try some of the recipes. I have had success with the ones that I've made. A good cookbook.

ARRAY(0xa9234c6c)

Looneyspoons: Low-fat food made fun!
Looneyspoons: Low-fat food made fun! by Janet & Greta Podleski (Paperback - Sept. 24 1996)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.71