5.0 out of 5 stars Does not disappoint
Another great book from these two! And it is a beautiful book. Lots of pictures, lots of info and tips, and of course Los of scrumptious recipes, both new and old (from their other 3 books). It is a fantastic book, I find I have lots of cookbooks but I cook mostly from these books....healthy and quick and easy and my family approves!
Published on Jan. 2 2012 by J. S.

3.0 out of 5 stars Looney for Looneyspoons
Published 19 months ago by judyshome

5.0 out of 5 stars Does not disappoint, Jan. 2 2012
J. S. (Nanaimo, BC, CAN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Looneyspoons Collection: Janet & Greta's Greatest Recipe Hits plus a Whole Lot More (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE this cookbook!, May 11 2012
I am a huge fan of these authors and their cookbooks- I own them all and cook pretty much exclusively from them and have since I was in college. These cookbooks are best-sellers for a reason. This cookbook is cheerful, colourful and full of tons of recipes. I can't resist grabbing it off my shelf to browse it all the time. The must-try recipes are the Red, White and Yahoo Salad, the Lemon Ricotta pancakes, and the homemade granola. I highly recommend this book!

Here are the recipes that I have tried: (I will update this review as I try new ones, I try approx. 2 new ones every week.)
APPETIZERS
Strip T's (Sesame and coconut-crusted turkey strips with pineapple-plum sauce) These are very good!
SALADS
Where's Waldorf? (Apples , celery and toasted walnuts tossed with rotini pasta in a light, creamy dressing) AWESOME! I loved it!
The Chicken Coup (Chicken salad with pecans and cranberries in a creamy orange dressing) Fabulous! My fiance requests this often.
Moroccan and Rollin' Quinoa Salad (Colorful quinoa salad with chickpeas, veggies, lemon and mint) Didn't love it.
Rootie Toot Fruit Salad (Simple and simply delicious fruit salad with creamy orange-yogurt dressing.) Didn't love it.
Rice Capades- (Brown rice salad with cantaloupe, cucumber and cilantro in a zesty lime dressing)Not bad.
Red, White and Yahoo! (Grape tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and chickpeas tossed with fresh basil and balsamic vinegar.) WOW! This is my favourite recipe in the book! I think it is worth the price of the cookbook! We've made this again and again- LOVE IT!
Grainman- (Light-tasting, colourful bulgar salad with dried cranberries, walnuts and fresh mint)Good salad- my fiance loved it.
It's all Greek to Me (Traditional greek salad with fresh oregano, mint and a light vinaigrette dressing) Good greek salad.
VEGETARIAN
It's a Little Pizza Heaven- (Colourful vegetable pizza with pesto and feta) Not great, we don't really like pre-baked pizza crusts.
Lasagna with Mex Appeal (Layered Mexican tortilla casserole) Easy to make and yummy- fiance loved and had 3 helpings! :)
Chili Chili Bang Bang (Spicy, stew-like, loaded vegetarian chili) REALLY like this recipe- good, yummy, easy & lots of leftovers.
Beany Baby- (Spicy vegetarian chili with meatless ground burger and two kinds of beans) Quite good- makes lots- fiance loved.
Fromage a Trois (Three-cheese vegetable lasagna with chunky tomato sauce) Tasty lasagna! I learned how to make a homemade lasagna from these authors with much success. I don't think that this is their best lasagna recipe though. Don't get me wrong, this is very good, but I think that the one I made from the original Looneyspoons was better. Will report back after I try their other lasagna recipes which one is the best.
IT'S A MEAT MARKET
Ham-Me-Down Dinner (Baked ham and pineapple with orange-mustard sauce) Made this for company, turned out great, yum! (Company e-mailed me later for the recipe)
THE BRIGHT SIDES
All in the Yamily (Roasted sweet potatoes with a hint of apple and ginger) Turned out great, very good.
Viva Las Veggies (Roasted vegetable gratin with tomatoes, zucchini, mushrooms and onions)Wasn't amazing, wouldn't make it again.
MISCELLOONEYOUS
Welcome Back, 'Cotta! (Lemon-ricotta pancakes with fresh blueberry sauce) These are so, so fantastic! I love this recipe tons!!! Can't wait to make them again!
Yumola Granola- (Scrumptious homemade granola with oats, nuts, seeds, dried cranberries, peanut butter and honey) This is delish granola! I've never made granola at home before. This was easy and turned out great! I love it and will definitely make it again!! WAY better than buying storebought. It has that homebaked goodness that makes it taste so good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best healthy eating ideas I've ever found!, Dec 28 2011
I LOVE all their books and this is NO exception. A nice compilation and update of old recipes plus many great new ideas too. All with lovely colour pictures this time. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome cookbook, Jan. 31 2012
Awesome cookbook. The recipes are simple and easy to prepare. The pictures are gorgeous. Another great cook book from the Looneyspoons collection. I have them all and love them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book, Feb. 21 2012
This book is FANTASTIC! I expected nothing less! Healthy and delicious twists on meals that everyone will love! You won't be disappointed. I also love that the nutritional information was added, which makes it easy to calculate WW points!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Useful Recipe Book Ever, Feb. 2 2012
Two months ago I had never heard of the Podleski sisters. Now I think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread. What a wonderful book! I can't praise it enough. The food tastes great, the recipes are easy to follow, and there are so many nuggets of information included, it is much more than a recipe book. We've tried about 10 recipes so far, my family likes the food, and we are losing weight! It doesn't feel like diet food, and you don't feel like you're suffering eating it. On the contrary. I am able to enjoy the food, know that it's healthy for me, and happily lose weight. My diet is more balanced now. I've still got cookies and chocolate in the house, but I don't touch them because I don't crave them anymore!
We have switched to brown rice, we munch on nuts throughout the day, have lots of fruit, and really enjoy it! My 7-year old is starting to lose his belly fat, and he doesn't even know he's following a special diet.
I am simply thrilled with this book. It's become my companion. I sit and flip through it at odd moments of the day.
I just love it!
Thank you to the two dedicated sisters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wowzer, these gals should be knighted!!, Nov. 27 2011
I had purchased their original Looneyspoons cookbook years ago and really enjoyed it, but got caught up in another series of cookbooks UNTIL NOW! Not sure how I got on the hype train, but I'm on for the entire run. I love the anecdotes and humor and for you complainers, anyone can print a recipe on a page, it takes thinking outside the box to come up with this winner that includes helpful tips, nutritional contents and more. Marla's Maple Port was recommended to me by Greta on her facebook page and I took it from there. In one weekend I made the roasted beets, Britney Spears [Asparagus], Crab & Corn Chowder, Tuna Salad & Cococabanana cake. My family just polished off the Roast Feast (pot roast extraordinaire] in which the addition of cabbage was genius. Now I'm a celebrity [got my copy signed by Greta & Janet this weekend] in my house too!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow, Nov. 28 2013
Sabrina Mousseau (Southampton, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
I love this cookbook. I am not a fan of cooking/baking, but these sisters make being in the kitchen enjoyable. I might even confess that I am starting to enjoy planning and cooking my family's meals. The recipes call for ingredients that are easy to find in our local grocery store. The recipes are tasty- whether they are old classic recipes with a zip or a new ingenious one. I highly recommend this cookbook!

3.0 out of 5 stars Looney for Looneyspoons, Jan. 13 2013
judyshome - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I have mixed thoughts about this book, I think it comes with the whole “being holistic” thing. On the one hand, I analyzed the Looneyspoons Collection from a nutritionist point of view - which I’m allowed to do because one of the authors has the same designation I have - Janet is an RHN from the same school I went to! On the other hand, I was also able to see this book from a “hungry-hungry-hippo” point of view, because I’m also very much the foodie at heart.

As a nutritionist, I was shocked to find all purpose white flour, bacon, mayonnaise, white sugar and various cheeses just from flipping through the pages. Say what? In what world does a healthy cookbook contain bacon? As I delved deeper into the book, the authors mentioned that these items should be used in moderation *phew*, but it’s still good to indulge once on a while *double phew*. I’m assuming this cookbook was written for people who generally eat out or don’t usually cook and if that’s the case, it’s great! It contains common, easy-to find ingredients compared to cookbooks written solely by holistic nutritionists who include “weird” ingredients like Tempeh or Buckwheat flour. For the “regular person”, I can see how that can be a bit overwhelming compared to this cookbook that just gets you into the kitchen. So, it’s a good book for the transition from a bad diet to something better.

Recipes I tried:

* Satayday Night Fever (Chicken skewers with peanut dipping sauce)
* Mr. Bowjangles (Pasta with broccoli, chicken and sun-dried tomatoes)
I substituted the pasta with a whole grain, sorghum (told you nutritionists use weird ingredients!)
* Welcome Back, ‘Cotta (Lemon-ricotta pancakes)
I substituted the ricotta with plain yogurt. I replaced the white flour with a combination of spelt and teff flour.
* Kinda Nutty Pistachio-Crusted Fish (Baked salmon with a pistachio crust)
I substituted bread crumbs with cracker crumbs.

Pros:

* The recipes were all very simple to follow and some of the quickest ones I’ve come across (I prepped the pistachio fish crust during 2 commercial breaks - the 1st to gather my ingredients and the 2nd to measure and combine). The flavours and textures meshed really well together - even with my substitutions, so they’re fairly versatile.
* I especially liked the nutrition nuggets and nutrition breakdown of each recipe - breakdowns are something I have yet to learn how to do.
* Full-colour photography and colourful layout.
* Contains a bunch of weird, random facts about food.
* I loved how they included some of their favourite blog posts from the years. Confession: sometimes I like cookbooks for the stories they tell, not just for the meals.
* They included an “indulgence” section in their cookbook which they recommend having on the rare occasion. *Awesome* and realistic.

Cons:

* I couldn’t find a single reference to all the nutrition studies they pointed out. Having the references increases credibility for holistic nutritionists.
* Not enough variety. In terms of ingredient choices, so many of the recipes call for tomatoes, red/green peppers, and mushrooms. There’s also a bunch of recipes for different pizzas and different chilis. How much pizza should a person really eat?
* The list of recipes at the beginning of each chapter don’t have a direct page linked to it.

Things that can be pro or con, depending on how you look at it:
* Sometimes groan-worthy puns and/or (too?) cutesy recipe names. Example: “Itsy-Bitsy Teeny-Weeny Coloured Polka-Dot Rotini”…Okay, I kind of like that one :D
* A lot of animal-based recipes. Maybe I’ve just been taught by too many vegan/vegetarian teachers, but they’ve ingrained in my head that healthiest diets are primarily plant based. Since most people buy the conventionally grown meats (pumped full of antibiotics, growth hormones, etc), it might not be the best thing to be promoting so much meat. Also, nitrate meats such as ham and bacon show up in various parts of the book - nitrates have a reputation of binding to other chemicals in your body, producing carcinogenic substances. I admittedly like the taste of meat, so I liked seeing meat in a holistic nutritionist’s cookbook, but it may borderline on “too much” for me.

Overall, not a bad cookbook. I probably won’t be using it as one of my main cookbooks, but it’ll definitely come in handy when cooking for other people who eat more meat than I do.

FTC Disclosure: I received this book for free from Hay House Publishing for this review. The opinion in this review is unbiased and reflects my honest judgment of the product.

5.0 out of 5 stars An instant hit with my family!, May 31 2014
I read about the original Looneyspoons recipe book while reading The Wealthy Barber Returns by David Chilton. I never really cooked very much and but I decided to give this book a try.

My cooking was an instant hit with my family. Over the past two weeks, I've made over 10 recipes and it has really refreshed our way of eating. The family also gets a kick out of seeing me cook! The recipes are very tasty, simple to prepare and the ingredients easy to find.

The book is also very good reading! The jokes are corny but fun. The nutrition and health facts are very informative.

As David Chilton would say, the rate of return on this book is outstanding! I will be giving this book to my kids and to some of my friends.

Buy it and eat well!