5.0 out of 5 stars The Right Book at the Right Time
I'm a personal finance author ("The Friendly Banker"). I've never met Dave and I know him only as most other Canadians do, as the author of an iconic masterpiece.

Published on Nov. 27 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and basic
This is a fantastic book for the basics and person who is not good at handling their money. If you are an expert or even understand some basic's of finance, this book may bore you.

Published 17 months ago by Tailgater

5.0 out of 5 stars The Right Book at the Right Time, Nov. 27 2011
This review is from: The Wealthy Barber Returns (Paperback)

While I love to write, to sit down and actually read a book is a chore for me. Few books do a good enough job at capturing my interest to get me past the first few pages, let alone the first chapter. I`m a lousy reader. Yet, I read this book, cover to cover, in three nights with the television on and the sound muted, a miracle for me. I even missed a good portion of Monday Night Football. Need I say more? Well, I`m going to anyway.

The "The Wealthy Barber Returns" is written in a relaxed, humorous, conversational style that I found very appealing. It begins with some sage advice on the pitfalls of over-borrowing, describing the forces that draw us into debt traps and the basic human weaknesses that drive us to keep up with others in the quest to accumulate things that, in the end, are of little enduring value. I agree that the false sense of security provided by an abundance of available credit forms a dangerous mindset that can lead to disaster, especially when that credit line is represented by a mortgage on the home. For most people the concept of a Home Equity Line of Credit is too much of a temptation, leading to the illusion of short term gain followed by the reality of long term pain. Dave even takes a couple of refreshing swings at the banks for their tendency to want to lend us up to our rooftops. He recounts one story where a woman he sent to the bank to get a very modest secured line of credit was immediately up sold to the max despite her history of debt accumulation. I'm sorry to report that this is not uncommon. I was a consumer lender for 25 years and it was my job to maximize profit within a consumer loan portfolio. I was paid to lend as much as possible at the highest possible rate without causing losses and not to share that philosophy with my customers. My paycheque depended on it.

Once the notion that we must curtail spending in order to have any hope of saving is successfully driven home, Dave very effectively shows us how we can best turn that 10-15% of gross income (or more if we've started late) into a comfortable lifestyle in retirement. He delivers investment advice in a manner that is easy for most anyone to understand and his command of the subject truly inspires confidence.

Throughout this book I was struck by its honesty. Time and time again I was stopped in my tracks by things such as Dave`s description of his own lifestyle as well as his many insights into The Wealthy Barber and some of the experiences that came his way as a result of it. It takes an honest author to take a look at his own work years later and admit to a change of heart about certain things, especially when that work impacted so positively and so significantly on more than two million Canadians.

We live in difficult times. In my view, Dave has always expressed a deep and abiding concern about the financial well being of Canadians and the consequences that could follow if we do not change our habits. Thus, he`s given us another book, just at the right time, that will help us all reflect on the changes we need to make to secure a decent financial future.

Jim Rohn once said that we must all suffer one of two pains; the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. I prefer the former. It's a choice. What's your choice? Whatever it is it should be a conscious one and I`m confident that "The Wealthy Barber Returns" will help you make it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Wealthy Barber Still Rocks!, Jan. 3 2012
This review is from: The Wealthy Barber Returns (Paperback)
I read the original Wealth Barber just prior to getting into the financial advisory business back in '92 and couldn't help wondering how much value I could offer to clients if they just bought the book and followed Roy's advice on their own. Turns out even people who read it still need someone to save them from themselves! Chilton's new book, in sync with our over spending, under saving times, provides a reminder to all of us that maybe our grandparents were right - the best things in life...aren't things! Loved the section on index investing - it mirrors my own belief (backed by experience and research) that most investors would be better off tossing out their high priced mutual funds and just buy the whole market. My sister admitted that she finally understands what indexing is after reading this. Once again Chilton hits a home run with his easy-to-read style broken up into many entertaining chapters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Response to Jeffrey Brooks Review, Dec 28 2011
This review is from: The Wealthy Barber Returns (Paperback)
I've read The Wealthy Barber Returns and I can honestly say it is fantastic. My main concern however is with Jeffrey Brooks' two-star review. The reviewer makes assumptions on the author's motive for writing a second book which are based on nothing more than speculation at best. It's a very poor review. Furthermore the reviewer provides a terrible financial tip that should not be followed by anyone. Using a line of credit to pay off a credit card!? Are you kidding me? You're still paying interest. You are just transferring debt to another vehicle. Notice how the reviewer stated paying off the LOC as soon as possible. I'm sure he pays it off right on time, considering he has to pay off his credit card with the LOC. For most Canadians a LOC is a dangerous financial too. How about this? Pay off your credit card with money from your bank account. Better yet, pay for your purchases with cash/debit whenever possible. This is exactly why The Wealthy Barber Returns is a vital read for anyone looking to manage their money more effectively. It's to avoid financial advice from individuals who obviously have no concept of personal financial management.

5.0 out of 5 stars A convenient truth, Feb. 5 2012
This review is from: The Wealthy Barber Returns (Paperback)
A gift for yourself and those important to you (trust me I have bought 11 so far). This is likely the most relevant and practical assembly of Canadian financial concepts available today. In my experience, the material has resonated with a diverse age & financial competence range (see 11 gifts). This is a fun read, presented in an entertaining and logical format that fosters understanding, while avoiding needless complexity. In my opinion, Dave does a fantastic job of identifying the significant drivers of financial health and takes clear positions on the issues; supported by facts, opinions and real examples. This book is written with the audience in mind, distilled down to digestible concepts without taking the "teeth" from the issues. I particularly appreciate the humility of the vantage point, you are made to feel that Dave is a wise older brother or friend, sharing valuable advice and coaching - you trust him. Let's face it, we are not "hunter gatherers" - and for most of us, the ability to effectively manage our financial resources is simply a necessary life skill; money pressure can be decimating and it affects all classes of Canadians. If you put some of these concepts in place, I trust you will witness how seemingly small changes in course - can have an incredible impact over time. There is a peace that comes with the awareness that you have a level of control over your future, competence leads to confidence - and ultimately, well considered decisions. I encourage you to experience this book and share with others; it may be the most impactful gift you ever bestow.

4.0 out of 5 stars the wealthy Barber, July 6 2013
OK
To bad the average person does not read this book. He has a lot of down to earth stratagies on investing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Save, Save, Save, April 26 2013
This review is from: The Wealthy Barber Returns (Paperback)
your book was so amazing and practical, a little bit like myself:) I had to write and thank you.

As a single woman, no kids, and entrepreneur I take pride in being able to take care of myself, and thought I was doing a great job until I read your book and learned how to trim and save even more.

Well written and very practical, no charts and graphs, just the facts, I am looking forward to putting your advice to work.

Harpist, Tracy Sweet
[...]

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and basic, Nov. 19 2012
This review is from: The Wealthy Barber Returns (Paperback)

If you have a family member or friend that isn't good with money or just needs a good lesson about money management. This is a book I highly recommend. I agree with most of what the author mentions but again, it is dumbed down so it is for a certain target market.

If you are a beginner of finance or fresh out of University/College, definetly take a look at this one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile, March 18 2012
This review is from: The Wealthy Barber Returns (Paperback)
I had bought the first version when I younger, happily married, investing and buying a house. It helped me then. I bought it now again, because my situation has changed: husband gone, kids in university, now 54 years old. I had one question, was I doing the right thing with my money?. I read this book in one afternoon, and I smiled, because yes, I was doing the right thing with my money. It reassured me.This book is easy to read, and the author is friendly. It was worth buying and reading it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Common sense way to manage your money, March 17 2012
Rodge (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Wealthy Barber Returns (Paperback)
For the most part there is nothing earth shattering here, but this is a solid, very readable collection of common sense ways for saving your money. Principles such as pay yourself first, credit cards are worse than you think (no matter how bad you think they are), beware lines of credit, debt is bad so have no more than necessary etc etc. all presented in a more entertaining manner than this review. Some of the jokes are even funny.

No magic, no big promises, just hard work. My main objection is that it's a little materialistic but after all, it does have "wealthy" in the title.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book despite not much new information, Feb. 13 2012
This review is from: The Wealthy Barber Returns (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book more than the original despite it not offering much beyond what virtually every other financial book I've read has already said (save more, pay yourself first, etc). That said, it's a good, easy read that is extremely entertaining and hard to put down (which says a lot for a finance book).

I'd give it 4 1/2 stars if I could.

ARRAY(0xb1670c90)

The Wealthy Barber Returns
The Wealthy Barber Returns by David Chilton (Paperback - Aug. 15 2011)
CDN$ 19.95 CDN$ 14.40