5.0 out of 5 stars weLEAD Book Review by the Editor of leadingtoday.org, June 10 2002
Greg L. Thomas (Litchfield, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
The first thing that strikes you about "Growing the Distance" is its unique format and layout. Unlike many books written strictly for business, this publication is alive with style, relevant quotations, humorous quips and interesting fonts. Whereas beauty is only skin deep, this book has helpful and attractive information from cover to cover. Author Jim Clemmer is the founder and president of The CLEMMER Group, a strategic consulting firm. Jim is a best selling author, workshop/retreat leader, and keynote speaker on organization improvement, leadership development, and personal effectiveness. Clemmer presents the values and philosophy he models to others in this fine book.
One of the main messages that clearly jumps out at the reader is this powerful theme...leadership and change is a living philosophy that must permeate every aspect of life including family, career, personal responsibility and self-fulfillment. Many business books on leadership put the various life roles of a leader in separate boxes. Business is one box, family life is another box, personal goals and self-actualization in yet another box. It is often assumed that these various roles have little to do with each other and for this reason family life and spirituality are typically ignored. "Growing the Distance" is not afraid to challenge this misconception by boldly discussing a leader's various interconnected roles!
"Growing the Distance" is a book about creating positive change within yourself rather than being the victim of change. Its powerful premise is that we can begin from where we are today, and choose where we want to be tomorrow. By making these choices we can grow the distance. Clemmer believes that each of us can develop the qualities of leadership that reside inside us no matter what our position in life. This publication discusses what leadership is, why change is essential, and the importance of vision, values and purpose. Clemmer encourages personal accountability for our choices and writes how we can learn and grow from disappointments. He encourages us to find commitment and passion in our workplace, as well as in spirit, and meaning within our lives. He proceeds to discuss growth and personal development while reminding us that great leaders are able to energize others to motivate themselves.
If you want to read a book and be enthusiastic about your leadership potential, "Growing the Distance" is a must. It will inspire you and help to mesh together the various roles and activities of your life. This book is truly different and will find a happy home on your bookshelf!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, Aug. 28 2006
Kelley Robertson (Burlington, ON) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Growing the Distance: Timeless Principles for Personal, Career, and Family Success (Paperback)
This is one of the best books I have read on personal leadership. Rather than focusing on pie-in-the-sky theory, Clemmer helps the reader see how he/she can improve his/her life by adjusting their perspective.

I particularly enjoyed the analogies, real-life examples and stories that were provided. In fact, I have re-read the book several times, and focused on strictly on these stories because they were so insightful.

A must read for anyone who wants to improve their life (both personal and business).

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring..., Sept. 6 2006
I was fortunate enough to hear Jim speak at a conference last year and bought this book because I was so inspired by him. It was more than I could have hoped for. It's written for everyone with great quotes and examples of life experience. With each chapter that I read I came away with something new and interesting to try, either at work or at home. It is a wonderful read...

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Short of Inspiring, Jan. 20 2006
Dallas D Gislason (Regina, Saskatchewan Canada) - See all my reviews
If I was a millionaire, I would buy a copy of this for everyone in my city. This is a must read! Absolutely inspiring and useful for gathering quotes and inspirational stories for any talks or meetings. Any audience would enjoy this; from teenagers to elderly.

5.0 out of 5 stars I absoultely loved it!, Nov. 10 1999
By A Customer
I can truely say this is my favourite book!I have read it at least 3 times already and I'll probably read again and again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, Sept. 23 2009
This is the book that got me into the world of Clemmer and for that I am grateful! Quick and easy read - really good insights to leadership and our personal lives.