5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Resource, April 25 2014
This review is from: Creative Interventions for Children of Divorce (Paperback)
Liana Lowenstein has done excellent work in compiling excellent interventions that will help a child throughout their therapeutic journey. It has everything from letter samples for the parents to a curriculum for group counseling as well. Each intervention also has an explanation on how this will help the kids from ages 7 to 12. I am excited to begin to use these interventions with my client and their families.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, May 25 2013
This review is from: Creative Interventions for Children of Divorce (Paperback)
There are so many helpful activities in this book. Sometimes I buy books like this and only find a couple of good exercises. I would say the vast majority in this book are excellent

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource!, Dec 11 2009
J. Kolari (Toronto ON) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Creative Interventions for Children of Divorce (Paperback)
This is the first book I have seen that contains truly creative and engaging therapeutic activities to use with children dealing with divorce. The activities can be used with children in many settings. There is a curriculum that can be used in therapy or support groups, and a chapter of activities to use in family therapy. In addition, there is a handout for parents to provide them with tips on how to support their children through the separation/divorce process. The theoretical overview covers important topics such as the impact of divorce on children at different ages and stages, and how to work with cases involving Parental Alienation. This book is among the best I have seen on this topic, and it will be an invaluable resource for therapists, counselors, support group facilitators, etc. Other books on this topic I recommend:

Dinosaurs Divorce (Krasny & Brown)
Was It The Chocolate Pudding? (Levins & Langdo)

Jennifer Kolari MSW.,RSW
Author of Connected Parenting

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Resource!, Sept. 26 2011
This review is from: Creative Interventions for Children of Divorce (Paperback)
"Creative Interventions for Children of Divorce" was one of the first books I bought when I started working with families of separation/divorce. Since then I have accumulated many others but I must say this book remains my favorite and mostly used. The interventions are incredibly relevant to any child going through a separation/divorce. They are easy to prepare and administer. I love the section, "Activities at a Glance," which includes activity, goal, ages and modality, as it allows you to choose the most appropriate technique without having to find each activity in the book. If you are working with children of divorce I HIGHLY recommend this book.

Other books on this topic that I recommend are:

Helping Your Kids Cope with Divorce the Sandcastles Way

Parenting After Divorce: A Guide to Resolving Conflicts and Meeting Your Children's Needs

Tug of War: A Judge's Verdict on Separation, Custody Battles, and the Bitter Realities of Family Court

Truth About Children And Divorce

Defusing the High-Conflict Divorce: A Treatment Guide for Working with Angry Couples

5.0 out of 5 stars I use this book every day!, Sept. 23 2011
Jill Zyla (Saskatchewan, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Creative Interventions for Children of Divorce (Paperback)
While I have a collection of Liana Lowenstein books in my office, this has been one of the most useful for me personally as a Mental Health Social Worker. Providing individual and group therapy for children who have been affected by divorce and separation, I found that much of the literature and resources were outdated, stale or impractical. Thankfully, I was introduced to this author and this book is now well-worn on my shelf.

Creative Interventions for Children of Divorce does not require you to follow a set 'program' (which is great for those of us who tailor our interventions to the children we work with). It's chock full of actual practical interventions that can be used again and again. Directions and explanations are clear cut, the visials are fantastic and the variety of activities is incredible. Among my favorites is Liana's "Feel Better Bag" - a fantastic intervention that children can take home and continue to learn from long after therapy has concluded. This is truly one of those books that it doesn't matter if you've been practicing for 6 months or 30 years - your skills and practice will benefit!

On this same topic, I have also made use of and would recommend:

"At Daddy's on Saturdays" (Linda Walvoord Girard)

"I don't want to Talk About It" (Jeanie Franz Ransom).

Both are great kid's fiction stories to accompany therapy or to recommend to parents.

If you Lowenstein's work, you'll also like:

Creative Interventions for Troubled Children and Youth Liana Lowenstein)

It follows the same format, but has even more great ideas and interventions that anyone can use for a variety of presenting problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on divorce, Dec 4 2009
This review is from: Creative Interventions for Children of Divorce (Paperback)
This is a tremendously helpful resource for practitioners who are working with children who have been impacted by divorce. The information included in the practitioner's guide and the theoretical overview is well researched, comprehensive and extremely useful. The activities are masterfully designed to address the core issues associated with divorce in a child-friendly way. Like Liana Lowenstein's other books, Creative Interventions for Troubled Children and Youth, More Creative Interventions for Troubled Children and Youth, and Creative Interventions for Children of Divorce, this book is easy-to-use and highly effective. I strongly recommend this book.

Other books I recommend:
1) Complete group counseling program for children of divorce
2) The divorce workbook for children
3) Helping kids cope with divorce the sandcastles way
4) Kids divorce workbook

Creative interventions for troubled children & youth

Creative Interventions for Children of Divorce
Creative Interventions for Children of Divorce by Liana Lowenstein (Paperback - July 2006)
CDN$ 31.95