5.0 out of 5 stars best cookbook ever! (seriously!!!)
i found out about this cookbook when i went to the actual rebar restaurant in victoria, bc (canada). i looked through the cookbook there, and with so many unique dishes, i had to buy it!

Published on Sept. 1 2006 by ashley

3.0 out of 5 stars Just Alright
This book is kind of annoying if you live in a small town as I find many of the ingredients difficult to find or very expensive, if I still lived in Victoria it would probably be better. So far I have tried the vegetable broth which was quite nice, the vegan brownies which I didn't care for I found them far to rich, the borch wasn't bad but nothing to write home about. I...
Published on Nov. 9 2012 by laura

5.0 out of 5 stars best cookbook ever! (seriously!!!), Sept. 1 2006
ashley (vancouver, bc, canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook (Paperback)

this cookbook has NEVER disappointed me. i read the two really negative reviews on here and have to wonder what the people were doing wrong, or whether they just don't like all the flavours that are combined in the recipes. these recipes are usually very time consuming (but worth it and SO tasty), and call for a lot of ingredients (sometimes ones that are a bit more rare like szechuan peppercorns or thai basil), but for the most part i haven't had problems finding the ingredients. sometimes i've substituted things like spaghetti instead of soba noodles, if i didn't feel like going out to find soba noodles. some of the recipes may seem complicated, but if you take your time with them and read through, you should have no problems. i'm not an expert chef, but i'm comfortable in a kitchen.

this is the cookbook that i tell everybody about - including people that don't care about cookbooks. it is truly truly amazing and is not only the best vegetarian cookbook out there, but is by far the best cookbook out there. the recipes are so unique, and always bring many different flavours together (such as the roasted potato pizza with lemon-rosemary potatoes, artichoke hearts and feta cheese).

i cannot say enough good things about this cookbook. i plan to try every single recipe in it. i wish they would put out a second one. the cookbook also covers a wide range of things, and is broken up into: salads, basics (vegetable stock, tortilla shells, etc), starters, brunch, lunch, soup, sides, entrees, sweets, and drinks. my favourite recipes are, well, every recipe i've ever tried. ;) such as:

-szechuan noodle salad with soba, avocado and cashews

-rosemary garlic foccacia bread

-peanut sauce with ginger, lime and cilantro

-shiitake tofu potstickers with scallions, ginger, and cilantro

-white bean hummous with roasted garlic, sage and pine nuts

-vegan french toast with coconut milk and banana

-eggs kurosawa with tofu, brown riec and soy-chile sauce

-migas for two (tortilla-egg scramble with cilantro and cheddar)

-brie bagel melt with honey and almonds

-yam and pepita quesadilla with honey-chipotle sauce and jack cheese

-mushroom pecan burger with grilled onions

-creamy broccoli soup

-audrey's deluxe mac & cheese with crispy pine nut-herb crust

-pad thai with tofu, bean sprouts and roasted peanuts

-spring fettucine with asparagus and lemon-vodka cream

-roasted vegetable strudel with bocconcini cheese, olives and fresh thyme

-chocolate chip cookies with apricots and walnuts

-raspberry oat bars with walnuts and cinnamon

-lime sugar cookies with pumpkin seeds

4.0 out of 5 stars Eating healthy can be delicious???, Feb. 12 2007
Michelle Li (Vancouver, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook (Paperback)
Yes, the other reviews are true. The Rebar cookbook is amazing. I had to own it because I am a big fan of the restaurant and wanted to re-create some dishes when I am not able to visit Victoria.

I was amazed at the diversity of the dishes in this cookbook. You will find recipes that take inspiration from Asian, Mexican, Italian, Indian, and Japanese cuisine with the occasional twist- like a perogy recipe thrown in!

Usually I would say this would be disastrous. Who can combine that many styles in one cookbook and do it well? Well, Alsterberg and Urbanowicz are set to prove they can- and will- shake things up with this cookbook. The results are amazing.

The recipes have nice, short introductions, which I tend to enjoy reading. The instructions themelves are clear and to the point. The print on the page is easy to read and I like how the ingredients are outlined on the side of the page, visually separating it from the procedure. Very user-friendly.

If you are not sure what to try first, I would suggest the Rustic Bread or Caesar Salad. Next, you should venture onto the Rosemary Garlic Foccaccia which makes a fantastic pizza crust as well. This Foccaccia is superior to the one I had a couple weeks ago from an Italian bakery. The Whole Wheat Hotcakes are fluffy and light just as pancakes should be. Also be sure to try the Tuscan White Bean soup and Roasted Vegetable Strudel. I haven't had any recipe mishaps yet from this book.

I wouldn't have expected that such a healthy recipe book would have such decadent desserts! I am an avid baker and several of these recipes are among the best that I've ever tasted! Try the Carrot-Coconut Cake, the Rebar Chocolate Cake, the Banana Bread and always-requested Peanut-butter Squares (sans icing- it takes it way over the top here!).

I was tired of cookbook authors who destroy dessert recipes by using apple sauce in place of butter and sugar to reduce fat, and ultimately, flavour. Here they have delicious, delectable treats sometimes made with butter, chocolate (no carob!) and even whipping cream!!! Yes, there are still healthy "alternative" type desserts such as Power Spheres to give variety for the vegan crowd.

Downsides? Not all the recipes are accessible unless you are an adventurous eater- or plan to become one. Galangal, lemongrass, tomatillos, masa harina, miso paste, thai basil, and pea shoots are some of the ingredients you will be seeking out.

Not enough photos of the food! Basically these are few and far between. I really enjoy colour photos of the dishes to give me an idea of what I am aiming for with my recipe choices. This book has plenty of pictures of staff and customers which is fun but I would rather have food photos.

Just a few recipes don't strike me as worthy of testing- such as Bonnie's Spring tonic with stinging nettle tops- but perhaps this is personal prejudice that might someday be overcome.

On the whole, this recipe book is worthy of adding to any collection- if only for the salads and baked goods! Enjoy healthy eating that is delicious!

Note: Although this is a vegetarian cookbook with vegan options, it also includes some recipes with salmon and shrimp.

4.0 out of 5 stars Creative cuisine at its best, Aug. 19 2002
This review is from: Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook (Paperback)
I'm a big fan of this book, having made over 140 of its recipes. The dishes are flavorful and creative, a nice change from your typical cookbooks. Enjoy food from all over the world - southwest/mexican food, asian, and italian with a twist. I have yet to make one recipe that I didn't like - they have all been great.
Although I agree with another review that states that some ingredients are hard to find, once you track them down you will be able to leverage them across many recipes.
I will also admit to finding a few errors in the book (e.g. items from ingredient list not listed in recipe directions), but nothing that will negatively impact on the results. Definitely no errors that are show-stoppers.

5.0 out of 5 stars MY favourite cookbook ever, Nov. 20 2006
A. Soares - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook (Paperback)
This is the best cookbook I have ever bought (and I own a lot of them).

While not heavy on pictures, recipes are easy to follow and guaranteed to taste amazing! I have not tried a recipe in it that I didn't like. Recipes are easy to adapt - so I can generally make them without needing an extra shopping trip (keep in mind I cook a lot so I have tons of ingredients in the house).

5.0 out of 5 stars Good news for the food loving person, Oct. 28 2002
This review is from: Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook (Paperback)
This book has revolutionized vegetarian cooking. It is full of fantastic recipes that range from the ultra simple to slightly advanced. While some of the ingredients are hard to find any major urban center or good health food store should have them or be able to order them. Many of the recipes have become a staple in our household as my husband loves everything I have made from the book, and he is a seasoned meat eater!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook, April 26 2006
This review is from: Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook (Paperback)
A must have cookbook for any health-minded kitchen. Each unique recipe I've tried has been delicious and received great reviews from family and friends. The book is easy to follow, contains helpful hints and integrates a wide array of ingredients to suit all taste-buds (including finicky kids). You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book for the serious cook, Sept. 4 2002
Regular Reader (Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook (Paperback)
This book is filled with recipes drawn from the restaurant (of the same name) menu. They appear to have been extensively tested - not one has failed me - and I'm not the greatest cook. The more exotic ingredients can easily be found in major centres - often in my local supermarket. I have eaten at the restaurant many times - it's a very popular one in Victoria, BC. The book captures the atmosphere of the place - unique, funky, and friendly. I have a 2nd edition, and have not found any errors; those noted by others must have been fixed. I highly recommend this book for those wanting to make sophisticated, healthy food.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious Recipies, Jan. 11 2011
This review is from: Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook (Paperback)
I recently purchased the Rebar cookbook and it has become my vegetarian bible. The recipes are easy to follow and are great for those who do still eat meat. I am the only vegetarian in my family and for the longest time I was trying to get my family to follow in my footsteps through meat substitutes. The great thing about this cookbook is that it doesn't try to replace meat, it forgets about it all together. It uses vegetables as an asset, as though to say, "Why would you miss meat if you have us?". Cooking is exciting with this book and it definitely has changed the outlook on vegetarianism in my family.

One negative is that there aren't many pictures of the food. I don't see it as a huge problem because each page is with a recipe (I find my dishes never look like the professionally staged images in cookbooks anyways). In reading a previous review, the writer said that the recipes took a long time to prepare. I'm not sure if I agree entirely. It has taken me about an hour to complete each of the recipes that I've tried. It just depends on what you call "a long time to prepare". It's definitely worth the time and if you double the recipe you'll have lots of left overs for future meals.

This is a must have for any vegetarian.

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern food, great food..., Sept. 4 2002
A. Kay (Surrey, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook (Paperback)
Not being a vegetarian I wondered how much I would enjoy a cookbook that included no meat recipes, I had no reason to worry. Although meat is not included, I have found that I can work it in whenever I want. Recipes have ideas for varying ingredients and helpful hints that really are helpful. The Bayou Chocolate Torte is one of the most amazing chocolate desserts I've ever had, and only 6 ingredients!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite Cookbook!!!, July 26 2004
Angela (Saskatoon, SK Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook (Paperback)
This cookbook was recommended to me and I am so glad I bought it. There are lots of salad recipes (one of my fave things) as well as main courses and desserts.
The desserts I have tried are sensational (Carrot Cake and Bayou Chocolate Torte). Expect to be asked for the recipe if you make them for company.
It really is an interesting and modern cookbook.

Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook
Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook by Wanda Urbanowicz (Paperback - Nov. 1 2001)
Used & New from: CDN$ 27.17