5.0 out of 5 stars best cookbook ever! (seriously!!!)
i found out about this cookbook when i went to the actual rebar restaurant in victoria, bc (canada). i looked through the cookbook there, and with so many unique dishes, i had to buy it!

Published on Sept. 1 2006 by ashley

3.0 out of 5 stars Just Alright
This book is kind of annoying if you live in a small town as I find many of the ingredients difficult to find or very expensive, if I still lived in Victoria it would probably be better. So far I have tried the vegetable broth which was quite nice, the vegan brownies which I didn't care for I found them far to rich, the borch wasn't bad but nothing to write home about. I...
Published 21 months ago by laura

5.0 out of 5 stars best cookbook ever! (seriously!!!), Sept. 1 2006
ashley (vancouver, bc, canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook (Paperback)

this cookbook has NEVER disappointed me. i read the two really negative reviews on here and have to wonder what the people were doing wrong, or whether they just don't like all the flavours that are combined in the recipes. these recipes are usually very time consuming (but worth it and SO tasty), and call for a lot of ingredients (sometimes ones that are a bit more rare like szechuan peppercorns or thai basil), but for the most part i haven't had problems finding the ingredients. sometimes i've substituted things like spaghetti instead of soba noodles, if i didn't feel like going out to find soba noodles. some of the recipes may seem complicated, but if you take your time with them and read through, you should have no problems. i'm not an expert chef, but i'm comfortable in a kitchen.

this is the cookbook that i tell everybody about - including people that don't care about cookbooks. it is truly truly amazing and is not only the best vegetarian cookbook out there, but is by far the best cookbook out there. the recipes are so unique, and always bring many different flavours together (such as the roasted potato pizza with lemon-rosemary potatoes, artichoke hearts and feta cheese).

i cannot say enough good things about this cookbook. i plan to try every single recipe in it. i wish they would put out a second one. the cookbook also covers a wide range of things, and is broken up into: salads, basics (vegetable stock, tortilla shells, etc), starters, brunch, lunch, soup, sides, entrees, sweets, and drinks. my favourite recipes are, well, every recipe i've ever tried. ;) such as:

-szechuan noodle salad with soba, avocado and cashews

-rosemary garlic foccacia bread

-peanut sauce with ginger, lime and cilantro

-shiitake tofu potstickers with scallions, ginger, and cilantro

-white bean hummous with roasted garlic, sage and pine nuts

-vegan french toast with coconut milk and banana

-eggs kurosawa with tofu, brown riec and soy-chile sauce

-migas for two (tortilla-egg scramble with cilantro and cheddar)

-brie bagel melt with honey and almonds

-yam and pepita quesadilla with honey-chipotle sauce and jack cheese

-mushroom pecan burger with grilled onions

-creamy broccoli soup

-audrey's deluxe mac & cheese with crispy pine nut-herb crust

-pad thai with tofu, bean sprouts and roasted peanuts

-spring fettucine with asparagus and lemon-vodka cream

-roasted vegetable strudel with bocconcini cheese, olives and fresh thyme

-chocolate chip cookies with apricots and walnuts

-raspberry oat bars with walnuts and cinnamon

-lime sugar cookies with pumpkin seeds

4.0 out of 5 stars Creative cuisine at its best, Aug. 19 2002
This review is from: Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook (Paperback)
I'm a big fan of this book, having made over 140 of its recipes. The dishes are flavorful and creative, a nice change from your typical cookbooks. Enjoy food from all over the world - southwest/mexican food, asian, and italian with a twist. I have yet to make one recipe that I didn't like - they have all been great.
Although I agree with another review that states that some ingredients are hard to find, once you track them down you will be able to leverage them across many recipes.
I will also admit to finding a few errors in the book (e.g. items from ingredient list not listed in recipe directions), but nothing that will negatively impact on the results. Definitely no errors that are show-stoppers.

5.0 out of 5 stars MY favourite cookbook ever, Nov. 20 2006
A. Soares - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook (Paperback)
This is the best cookbook I have ever bought (and I own a lot of them).

While not heavy on pictures, recipes are easy to follow and guaranteed to taste amazing! I have not tried a recipe in it that I didn't like. Recipes are easy to adapt - so I can generally make them without needing an extra shopping trip (keep in mind I cook a lot so I have tons of ingredients in the house).

5.0 out of 5 stars Good news for the food loving person, Oct. 28 2002
This review is from: Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook (Paperback)
This book has revolutionized vegetarian cooking. It is full of fantastic recipes that range from the ultra simple to slightly advanced. While some of the ingredients are hard to find any major urban center or good health food store should have them or be able to order them. Many of the recipes have become a staple in our household as my husband loves everything I have made from the book, and he is a seasoned meat eater!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook, April 26 2006
This review is from: Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook (Paperback)
A must have cookbook for any health-minded kitchen. Each unique recipe I've tried has been delicious and received great reviews from family and friends. The book is easy to follow, contains helpful hints and integrates a wide array of ingredients to suit all taste-buds (including finicky kids). You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book for the serious cook, Sept. 4 2002
Regular Reader (Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook (Paperback)
This book is filled with recipes drawn from the restaurant (of the same name) menu. They appear to have been extensively tested - not one has failed me - and I'm not the greatest cook. The more exotic ingredients can easily be found in major centres - often in my local supermarket. I have eaten at the restaurant many times - it's a very popular one in Victoria, BC. The book captures the atmosphere of the place - unique, funky, and friendly. I have a 2nd edition, and have not found any errors; those noted by others must have been fixed. I highly recommend this book for those wanting to make sophisticated, healthy food.

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern food, great food..., Sept. 4 2002
A. Kay (Surrey, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook (Paperback)
Not being a vegetarian I wondered how much I would enjoy a cookbook that included no meat recipes, I had no reason to worry. Although meat is not included, I have found that I can work it in whenever I want. Recipes have ideas for varying ingredients and helpful hints that really are helpful. The Bayou Chocolate Torte is one of the most amazing chocolate desserts I've ever had, and only 6 ingredients!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite Cookbook!!!, July 26 2004
Angela (Saskatoon, SK Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook (Paperback)
This cookbook was recommended to me and I am so glad I bought it. There are lots of salad recipes (one of my fave things) as well as main courses and desserts.
The desserts I have tried are sensational (Carrot Cake and Bayou Chocolate Torte). Expect to be asked for the recipe if you make them for company.
It really is an interesting and modern cookbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Try the Rebar Appetizer - it's amazing!, April 7 2003
Pink Roses (White Rock, BC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook (Paperback)
I borrowed this book from the library and it is on the top of my "must own this book" list! I made the rebar appetizer which is a tomato chutney on crustini with cambazola cheese and roasted garlic - there are no words to describe how great this is - you must try it for yourself. I'm looking forward to trying many more of the recipes! If you enjoy sitting down with a cup of tea and browsing through cookbooks - your sure to like this one, especially if you are a vegetarian. One small critiscm is that some of the ingredients seem a little obscure, but perhaps this is just the thing to push me ever so gently out of my comfort zone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and Delicious!, April 8 2004
This review is from: Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook (Paperback)
The recipes in this book are unique and delicious. I have made close to 20 of the recipes with great success. We are not vegetarians but rather just healthy eaters and this book has served us well. Bright flavors and inventive cuisine. I've had great fun with this discovery. Favorites: Santa Fe Pasta Salad (WOW!!),Roasted Vegetable Pasticcio,Orange Yogurt Hotcakes. This is a fun way to jazz up your kitchen as you move into the lighter fare of summer.

Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook
Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook by Wanda Urbanowicz (Paperback - Nov. 1 2001)
Used & New from: CDN$ 10.60