5.0 out of 5 stars best cookbook ever! (seriously!!!)
i found out about this cookbook when i went to the actual rebar restaurant in victoria, bc (canada). i looked through the cookbook there, and with so many unique dishes, i had to buy it!

Published on Sept. 1 2006 by ashley

3.0 out of 5 stars Just Alright
Published 20 months ago by laura

5.0 out of 5 stars best cookbook ever! (seriously!!!), Sept. 1 2006
ashley (vancouver, bc, canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook (Paperback)

this cookbook has NEVER disappointed me. i read the two really negative reviews on here and have to wonder what the people were doing wrong, or whether they just don't like all the flavours that are combined in the recipes. these recipes are usually very time consuming (but worth it and SO tasty), and call for a lot of ingredients (sometimes ones that are a bit more rare like szechuan peppercorns or thai basil), but for the most part i haven't had problems finding the ingredients. sometimes i've substituted things like spaghetti instead of soba noodles, if i didn't feel like going out to find soba noodles. some of the recipes may seem complicated, but if you take your time with them and read through, you should have no problems. i'm not an expert chef, but i'm comfortable in a kitchen.

this is the cookbook that i tell everybody about - including people that don't care about cookbooks. it is truly truly amazing and is not only the best vegetarian cookbook out there, but is by far the best cookbook out there. the recipes are so unique, and always bring many different flavours together (such as the roasted potato pizza with lemon-rosemary potatoes, artichoke hearts and feta cheese).

i cannot say enough good things about this cookbook. i plan to try every single recipe in it. i wish they would put out a second one. the cookbook also covers a wide range of things, and is broken up into: salads, basics (vegetable stock, tortilla shells, etc), starters, brunch, lunch, soup, sides, entrees, sweets, and drinks. my favourite recipes are, well, every recipe i've ever tried. ;) such as:

-szechuan noodle salad with soba, avocado and cashews

-rosemary garlic foccacia bread

-peanut sauce with ginger, lime and cilantro

-shiitake tofu potstickers with scallions, ginger, and cilantro

-white bean hummous with roasted garlic, sage and pine nuts

-vegan french toast with coconut milk and banana

-eggs kurosawa with tofu, brown riec and soy-chile sauce

-migas for two (tortilla-egg scramble with cilantro and cheddar)

-brie bagel melt with honey and almonds

-yam and pepita quesadilla with honey-chipotle sauce and jack cheese

-mushroom pecan burger with grilled onions

-creamy broccoli soup

-audrey's deluxe mac & cheese with crispy pine nut-herb crust

-pad thai with tofu, bean sprouts and roasted peanuts

-spring fettucine with asparagus and lemon-vodka cream

-roasted vegetable strudel with bocconcini cheese, olives and fresh thyme

-chocolate chip cookies with apricots and walnuts

-raspberry oat bars with walnuts and cinnamon

-lime sugar cookies with pumpkin seeds

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious Recipies, Jan. 11 2011
This review is from: Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook (Paperback)
I recently purchased the Rebar cookbook and it has become my vegetarian bible. The recipes are easy to follow and are great for those who do still eat meat. I am the only vegetarian in my family and for the longest time I was trying to get my family to follow in my footsteps through meat substitutes. The great thing about this cookbook is that it doesn't try to replace meat, it forgets about it all together. It uses vegetables as an asset, as though to say, "Why would you miss meat if you have us?". Cooking is exciting with this book and it definitely has changed the outlook on vegetarianism in my family.

One negative is that there aren't many pictures of the food. I don't see it as a huge problem because each page is with a recipe (I find my dishes never look like the professionally staged images in cookbooks anyways). In reading a previous review, the writer said that the recipes took a long time to prepare. I'm not sure if I agree entirely. It has taken me about an hour to complete each of the recipes that I've tried. It just depends on what you call "a long time to prepare". It's definitely worth the time and if you double the recipe you'll have lots of left overs for future meals.

This is a must have for any vegetarian.

5.0 out of 5 stars Diverse and Delicious, Dec 16 2013
Aara Macauley "LadyPoe" (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook (Paperback)
I have had this cookbook for about a year now and it has become one of my all time favourites. The variety of recipes is excellent, there's a great mix of vegan, vegetarian and fish recipes and the results are outstanding. I like that there is a mix of Thai, Greek, Indian, Mexican and other cuisines represented, and that the recipes are not dumbed down for North American pallettes. The mesa red sauce is fantastic, the Thai Dragon Bowl soup and Monk's Curry are ridiculously good, and the Saigon Salad is our new summer favourite. Buy it, love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Yummm, Oct. 27 2013
This review is from: Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook (Paperback)
Never thought a big guy like me would be eating vegan. Great part is you would never know. Great book lots of great recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook, Aug. 30 2013
This review is from: Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook (Paperback)
Arrived in great condition-- even got here before the expected date! On the book: it's amazing. Hands down my favourite cookbook. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars great tastes but not for beginner, July 3 2013
This review is from: Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook (Paperback)
I love this cookbook. I agree with other low-star reviews in that many of the ingredients are hard to come by if you live in a small town. However, I don't, so I love the spice combinations and creativity. Certain tastes are paired together that I would never have thought to work. They end up being divine. I would warn the beginner cook not to buy this book just yet. There are many recipes that ask you to turn back to another recipe which can throw the beginner cook right off.
Of all the cook books on my shelf, I've used this one more than any other (it officially beats my Moosewood collection). The soups are divine, the southwestern spin on many recipes and even the home-made salad dressings are so original. In my opinion the Carrot-Lemongrass soup is the best soup recipe I've ever come across and it's fairly easy for such a rich tasting soup. A little tip: if you can't find lemongrass in your area, use a few drops of lemongrass essential oil (food grade, not incense-type).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great selection, March 20 2013
This review is from: Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook (Paperback)
So far very pleased with the selection of recipes. Made their vegetable broth and found it to be both easy and delicious. Will rate again later as I use more recipes... xx

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book- new inspiration for healthy meals, Jan. 19 2013
This review is from: Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook (Paperback)
Great book! One of the best cookbooks I own. Creative. Wholesome. Inspiring. A few of the recipes I have made so far have become favorites. I haven't liked a book so much since my first Moosewood cookbook.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just Alright, Nov. 9 2012
This review is from: Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook (Paperback)
This book is kind of annoying if you live in a small town as I find many of the ingredients difficult to find or very expensive, if I still lived in Victoria it would probably be better. So far I have tried the vegetable broth which was quite nice, the vegan brownies which I didn't care for I found them far to rich, the borch wasn't bad but nothing to write home about. I also tried the foccacai bread which was just a basic bread recipe nothing special about it. So so far I'm not all that impressed with this book it's alright but books are awfully expensive and shelf space is an awfully hot commodity in my apartment fore a cookbook with recipes that are just alright.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded Expectations, June 5 2012
This review is from: Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook (Paperback)
Rebars was recommended as "the" vegetarian place to eat in Victoria by a top chef in eastern Canada. So, when I visited and found the food as good as recommended (excellent), it wasn't a stretch to purchase the cookbook. Vegetarian cuisine can be as varied and flavourful as other options. These recipes and the results exceeded my expectations. Excellent gourmet vegetarian meals every time, from a once a week chef (me). It has now become a gift item for others. Enjoy.

Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook
Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook by Wanda Urbanowicz (Paperback - Nov. 1 2001)
Used & New from: CDN$ 6.30