5.0 out of 5 stars A Testimonial
Published on July 16 2003 by CACraig

3.0 out of 5 stars there is some excellent advice to be gleaned from the book
This book is mainly intended for those suffering for autoimmune forms of arthritis, so I did not find it specifically helpful for my OA. Some of the advice is helpful for dealing with pain in general though, so if you are struggling with pain management it is worth a read. However, be prepared for a healthy dose of new-age-ish spirituality. If you can overlook that aspect...
Published 28 days ago by Amber Dooley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Testimonial, July 16 2003
CACraig (St. Louis, MO) - See all my reviews
I wanted to tell everyone that this book is the genuine article! I have witnessed the author's illness and recovery. I met Barbara when she came to our lab as a graduate student to work on her PhD. I saw all the misery she went through when she was hit so hard with the pain of arthritis. I didn't know what to tell her when her doctor told her that her pain was all in her head and that she needed to get over it. I saw her getting so bad that she had to use a wheelchair. I was there when she had to leave graduate school short of her PhD because she couldn't even hold a pipet in her hand anymore. And then I saw her start to get better and better. I was totally amazed the day I saw her running in Tower Grove Park. It has been a hard but wonderous journey for her. I wish her all success with her book and hope that she can help others as well as she has helped herself.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best yet, July 22 2003
By A Customer
After reading Conquering Arthritis What Doctors Won't Tell You Because They Don't Know, I was so impressed by the amount of research, knowledge and the manner it was presented that for the first time in my life I decided to go on a fast. The steps are easy to follow and the background data that explains the rational is a nice touch.
That is only one of the reasons I recommend this book. It answers many questions, not only for the arthritis patient, but the patient's family as well. GREAT BOOK!

5.0 out of 5 stars Impeccably well-researched, May 18 2003
By A Customer
This is a highly inspirational, impeccably well-researched and informational book that is chock-full of great advice, insight and perspective. The author's commitment to creating a thorough and easy-to-understand resource is apparent on every page. The text does get pretty dry in places, but the payoff is that there is just so much "meat" here for the readers.
This book definitely delivers what it promises.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive book, Sept. 2 2003
S. Chrenshaw (University City, MO) - See all my reviews
I have been on an arthritis diet from the book, Prescription for Nutritional Healing by Balsh and Balsh since 1992 when every doctor I went to told me I was crazy-that food had nothing to do with arthritis. I have been completely pain free since I started the diet. I met Barbara about a year after I had been on the diet and she was the first person in St. Louis who I had met who was also sucessful in conquering her arthritis through diet. She has been working so diligently on researching and writing this book since I have known her. I find her book to be very impressive--she deserves congratulation for all her hard work and a job well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars A "must-read" book for arthritis sufferers, Nov. 13 2003
Judith H. Smith (Huntsville, Alabama United States) - See all my reviews
Barbara Allan's story of how she regained her health is truly inspiring. Every time I read it, I find another bit of information that I can try or pass on to my mother who has severe osteoarthritis. We found the chapters on exercise and diet particularly helpful to us both. Ms. Allan has provided a well-researched and clearly written book that should be read by all those suffering from severe arthritis as well as those who are experiencing some of the early symptoms. Thank you, Barbara!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is wonderful!, July 15 2003
Linda Small (St. Louis, MO United States) - See all my reviews
I love this book! The 'before and after rheumatoid arthritis' pictures are inspiring. The book is easy to read, has solid information, and details the effort involved and payoffs for each section. It effectively combines the author's personal story of success using the methods she covers and her extensive study of relevant scientific research. Her gift to us is her ability to distill all this into a form that is accessible. While this is not about an easy cure, it is about methods that will give huge rewards for the effort involved.
This book covers a group of methods that help eliminate symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis and other medical conditions linked to food-related problems. These conditions include diabetes, overweight, depression, hay fever, irritable bowel syndrome, learning disorders, eczema and premenstrual syndrome.
Friends and relatives reading this book may find the chapter on exercise provides them with new incentives to begin or keep moving. Another of the things I love about this book is the broad range of topics. For instance, medical research about how foods are absorbed into the bloodstream sits next to information about how to use meditation to reduce pain. There's even a whole section about making foods that are safe, tasty and similar in texture to favorites by using modifications and substitutions for ingredients that are problematic.
As the friend of several people who have rheumatoid arthritis and other food-related problems, I appreciate and highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Conquering Arthritis by Barbara Allan, June 4 2003
Janis C. Bell (Gambier, OH United States) - See all my reviews
I'd like to give a copy of this book to everyone I know with arthritis and all of my clients with chronic diseases. Food sensitivities are rampant, and most people ignore them, thinking that they have to feel really awful immediately after eating something or it couldn't be connected to their health problems. Allan's writing about this issue is very convincing as she narrates her own long ordeal with crippling arthritis and the detective work that it took to unravel the foods that continued to provoke disabling joint pain. She writes with an awareness and sensitivity to the average person who is attached to 'favorite foods,' letting the reader know just how difficult the process of uncovering sensitivites can be. She spells out in great detail, and with constant reminders of the benefits, how to embark upon this process of discovering without falling into the quagmire of confusion resulting from delayed reactions. Her recommendations include introducing one food at a time for 2-3 days, and after a reaction, waiting until one is asymptomatic before resuming the process of trying foods. She addresses all the challenges of maintaining some kind of social life in a culture filled with processed and fake foods, such as how to eat at restaurants, enjoy pot lucks and other gatherings with friends, and how to adjust recipes to avoid problem foods.
In addition, Allan discusses the benefits of meditation for pain relief, how to exercise with severe limitations, and gives a brief overview of various therapies that have been used successfully to reduce pain and reduce or eliminate allergies.
This book gets five stars as an inspiration to everyone to take charge of their own healing by looking at what they put into their bodies!

5.0 out of 5 stars Learning How to Heal, May 19 2003
Diana Kardia (Ann Arbor, MI United States) - See all my reviews
I have had ankylosing spondylitis (an auto-immune form of arthritis somewhat different than the author's) for 25 years and have spent the last 15 years exploring a variety of alternative healing modalities to deal with arthritis pain. Through my own exploration and dedication to healing, I have been able to manage my pain without prescription drugs for most of that time, yet the arthritis has continued to define much of the circumstances of my life. I read Allan's book 6 months ago at the suggestion of a friend and have been amazed to find how much I have learned despite my own extensive explorations in this arena. This book has helped me take my healing to a new level, assisting me with defining key triggers and inspiring me toward a new vision of health.
What impresses me most is that my own arthritis is different enough from Allan's that her techniques do not apply directly to my situation--and yet the example of her experience has provided me with crucial insights that have helped me discover my own answers. What Allan has discovered (and documented superbly) about food sensitivities is applicable to my own sensitivities to such factors as stress and relational dynamics. Furthermore, while the fasting process did not serve to identify food sensitivities in my case, it deepened my understanding of my body and the healing process in significant ways.
Chronic pain, by it's nature, becomes something we too often learn to adapt to and live with, something we begin to define as normal. After a bad bout with my arthritis, it is always amazing to me to rediscover the freedom of being pain free and the joy of moving my body with flexibility and grace. Allan's book provides the knowledge, approach, and vision to turn the tide so that such moments come ever more strongly into being. She takes the chronic out of pain, reminding us that it is the nature of life to change and it is the nature of humans to rise to the challenge.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book for Everyone, May 14 2003
Barbara Allan has taken a lot of time out of her busy shedule because she felt that this book "Conquering Arthritis" needed to be written so that other people would not have to suffer the way that she had. It took her years of research and trial and error to get well, but with all her knowledge and experience set down in the clear concise form she uses, it should not be difficult for anyone to follow her example and heal themselves from food allergies and arthritis. As her proud mother, I have shared this book with many friends. Quite a few
have come back to tell me, "hey, I don't have arthritis yet, but there is so much good information on healthy living in this book, I have been inspired to live and eat by it. I already feel better and hopefully I'll never get arthritis!"
Barbara has been very meticulous in putting this book together. She has shared her expertise in every aspect of the illness from how to diagnose the food allergies, how to deal with the pain to how to travel and eat in restaurants while suffering from food allergies. Her recipes are good too!
I hope this book helps a lot of people lead healthier lives!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars From chronic pain back to health, May 8 2003
I remember Barbara's intense pain, her grimacing, her cries of pain...her being carried up stairs...the big cushion donuts on her pens so she could hold them...the homemade port-a-potty on the first floor of the house...the electrical cart...taking apart the electrical cart and putting it in the trunk...putting together the electrical cart...the research papers she studied...quinoa grain.... Make no mistake but that Barbara was an invalid. She was in great pain. She was placed on what would have been a lifetime of pain management. But she didn't accept that. She didn't give up. She believed there was an answer, and she set out using her background as a scientist in molecular biology to investigate possible cures one by one. This did not happen overnight, but using her extreme strength of character and intelligence (simultaneously with her pain) Barbara persevered in her own healing.

The juice fast yielded dramatic results. IT WAS A MIRACLE. The pain was gone. Of course it reappeared as Barbara ate allergens (foods to which she was allergic, including corn and wheat products), but she gradually identified all of her food allergens and removed them from her diet. Then, in time, she discovered how to cure herself of the food allergies, and today she can eat anything. And she narrates the techniques on how she did all of this in her book.
But she did not stop there with her healing. When she was fully recovered and bicycling on those long trips with the St. Louis bike club, she thought of all the stuff she had learned. She could have just gone on with her life arthritis-free, but she thought of all the other people similarly suffering from arthritis, who were facing a lifetime filled with pain and pain management. If these techniques and knowledge helped her, they could help others. Others needed this same information and were not getting it. She wished she had had this information available to her when she needed it. Again, Barbara disciplined herself, and she put her research and experience down in book form so it could be accessible to help others.
For people with rheumatoid arthritis (and certain other autoimmune diseases), Barbara wrote this book for you. Barbara conquered her suffering and will not spend a lifetime "managing pain." You can do the same. Yes, it does take some effort to juice fast and follow her other techniques, but the results can be miraculous. The book is literally stuffed full of information, and Barbara uses easy-to-understand language in her book. It is a book of personal experience, and her care and concern for others comes through on the pages. Barbara dedicated the book to everyone suffering from arthritis. I repeat her words: "May it help others find their own way back to health."

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Conquering Arthritis: What Doctors Don't Tell You Because They Don't Know
Conquering Arthritis: What Doctors Don't Tell You Because They Don't Know by Barbara D. Allan (Perfect Paperback - Jan. 2 2009)
CDN$ 34.73