‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Testimonial, July 16 2003
CACraig (St. Louis, MO) - See all my reviews
I wanted to tell everyone that this book is the genuine article! I have witnessed the author's illness and recovery. I met Barbara when she came to our lab as a graduate student to work on her PhD. I saw all the misery she went through when she was hit so hard with the pain of arthritis. I didn't know what to tell her when her doctor told her that her pain was all in her head and that she needed to get over it. I saw her getting so bad that she had to use a wheelchair. I was there when she had to leave graduate school short of her PhD because she couldn't even hold a pipet in her hand anymore. And then I saw her start to get better and better. I was totally amazed the day I saw her running in Tower Grove Park. It has been a hard but wonderous journey for her. I wish her all success with her book and hope that she can help others as well as she has helped herself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impeccably well-researched, May 18 2003
By A Customer
This is a highly inspirational, impeccably well-researched and informational book that is chock-full of great advice, insight and perspective. The author's commitment to creating a thorough and easy-to-understand resource is apparent on every page. The text does get pretty dry in places, but the payoff is that there is just so much "meat" here for the readers.
This book definitely delivers what it promises.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Guide!, March 17 2013
Excellent information, well worth the read. Would be even more
helpful if there was a formal elimination diet to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a blessing!!!, Dec 7 2003
seattlereviewer "lybbertyonline" (Atascadero, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I cannot express what a blessing this book is in our lives. My husband's arthritis began at only 22 years of age and it was progressing fast. No one in my family has this disease and I did not know where to turn except a specialist. We saw a specialist for a few years, and I always asked was there nothing more we could do to cure the arthritis? I could not believe that he would have to be on medication for the rest of his life. Since he was in his early twenties, this would mean years and years of constant, daily medication. Of course this would eventually mean problems with other parts of his body due to medication intake. I still did not know where to go to find a cure rather than just an immune supressant. Then, he came home one day after an appointment with his doctor involving a new set of x-rays. He was now being told that his bones were starting to be eaten away and bones in his left hand had most likely fused together. He was still only 27 at this point! I could not imagine what permanent consequences would come over the next years and I could see him not being able to play with our little boy or do anything with his hands in the future. This pushed me to stop at nothing to find the cure. I knew it had to be out there, but where? After tons of research and reading, I found the cure!!! I cannot begin to express my thanks to the author and her research and her sharing with the world. I just can't understand why the medical community does not know, or if they know, why they don't share the knowledge. My husband is in college and this very night was studying Rheumatoid Arthritis in his anatomy class. They have NO information on how diet and food sensitivities can cause RA and they state they know of no cure or really good medications. It just blows me away that millions of people suffer when the cure is out there, available, and really not difficult. If you or someone you know has RA, please get a hold of this book! I was unsure about the cost, but boy am I glad I tried it out anyhow! We found that corn is his sensitivity, which makes cooking a little more tricky at first, but once we figured out what he can and cannot eat, we are doing great! It took a little effort in the beginning to find the ingredients that will work, and we had to adjust recipes, but he eats totally normal. In fact, we all eat more healthy now. And I don't mean bran and tasteless food. We eat everything we ate before, but now it is fresh and from scratch. He has been off ALL medication for almost 6 months now and we are on our way to complete recovery. His right hand is totally normal now, and we are soon going to try the recommended trigger point method to fix his "fusion". The info here WORKS!!!!!! It takes dedication and a short lifestyle adjustment, but what a blessing everything in this book has been. An answer to many prayers! THANK YOU!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great information but, April 6 2013
This review is from: Conquering Arthritis: What Doctors Don't Tell You Because They Don't Know (Perfect Paperback)
I purchased this book based on the many positive reviews I read here. I agree, it's a great book, especially for someone who has never read anything regarding nutrition and its effects on health, and most especially for those who are highly allergic to various foods (although I'm hardly an expert, I am wondering if an all alcaline diet would accomplish the same thing). For me personally, I wish it was ...well...more organized? differently organized? - way too many references to find this here and that there, and the same reference again and again and again elsewhere, something which you could probably find in the index. A cover page per chapter with subtitles might help. That being said, I do, of course, find much of it useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is wonderful!, July 15 2003
Linda Small (St. Louis, MO United States) - See all my reviews
I love this book! The 'before and after rheumatoid arthritis' pictures are inspiring. The book is easy to read, has solid information, and details the effort involved and payoffs for each section. It effectively combines the author's personal story of success using the methods she covers and her extensive study of relevant scientific research. Her gift to us is her ability to distill all this into a form that is accessible. While this is not about an easy cure, it is about methods that will give huge rewards for the effort involved.
This book covers a group of methods that help eliminate symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis and other medical conditions linked to food-related problems. These conditions include diabetes, overweight, depression, hay fever, irritable bowel syndrome, learning disorders, eczema and premenstrual syndrome.
Friends and relatives reading this book may find the chapter on exercise provides them with new incentives to begin or keep moving. Another of the things I love about this book is the broad range of topics. For instance, medical research about how foods are absorbed into the bloodstream sits next to information about how to use meditation to reduce pain. There's even a whole section about making foods that are safe, tasty and similar in texture to favorites by using modifications and substitutions for ingredients that are problematic.
As the friend of several people who have rheumatoid arthritis and other food-related problems, I appreciate and highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best yet, July 22 2003
By A Customer
After reading Conquering Arthritis What Doctors Won't Tell You Because They Don't Know, I was so impressed by the amount of research, knowledge and the manner it was presented that for the first time in my life I decided to go on a fast. The steps are easy to follow and the background data that explains the rational is a nice touch.
That is only one of the reasons I recommend this book. It answers many questions, not only for the arthritis patient, but the patient's family as well. GREAT BOOK!

5.0 out of 5 stars What happened to the other 34 reviews you used to have?, June 25 2004
What happened to the other 34 reviews of this book you used to have posted?

5.0 out of 5 stars A "must-read" book for arthritis sufferers, Nov. 13 2003
Judith H. Smith (Huntsville, Alabama United States) - See all my reviews
Barbara Allan's story of how she regained her health is truly inspiring. Every time I read it, I find another bit of information that I can try or pass on to my mother who has severe osteoarthritis. We found the chapters on exercise and diet particularly helpful to us both. Ms. Allan has provided a well-researched and clearly written book that should be read by all those suffering from severe arthritis as well as those who are experiencing some of the early symptoms. Thank you, Barbara!

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive book, Sept. 2 2003
S. Chrenshaw (University City, MO) - See all my reviews
I have been on an arthritis diet from the book, Prescription for Nutritional Healing by Balsh and Balsh since 1992 when every doctor I went to told me I was crazy-that food had nothing to do with arthritis. I have been completely pain free since I started the diet. I met Barbara about a year after I had been on the diet and she was the first person in St. Louis who I had met who was also sucessful in conquering her arthritis through diet. She has been working so diligently on researching and writing this book since I have known her. I find her book to be very impressive--she deserves congratulation for all her hard work and a job well done.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Conquering Arthritis: What Doctors Don't Tell You Because They Don't Know
Conquering Arthritis: What Doctors Don't Tell You Because They Don't Know by Barbara D. Allan (Perfect Paperback - Jan. 1 2009)
CDN$ 34.73
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available