5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible book!, July 7 2004
P. Ritchie (Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Were Gonna Have a Baby, But We Had an Angel Instead (Paperback)
When I lost my severely premature son earlier this summer, I was frustrated trying to find a book for my four year old that would help him understand what had happened -- and then I found this book. It is gentle and simple and so utterly perfect, whether your baby died in utero or shortly after birth. It takes such a difficult topic and puts it in words (and beautiful illustrations) that children can understand. I hope you never need this book, but if you do, you'll be so glad to have it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, April 22 2015
An excellent book to explain to little ones about the loss of a sibling at or before birth.
Bought one for myself which I later gave to a friend when our nurse gave us one as a gift after the death of our daughter at 38w gestation. The wording is straight forward for little ones. It may seem a bit harsh when it says "the baby died" but that is the truth and I simply say , "the baby couldn't stay" or something along those lines when it comes to that page. The book isn't religious , but the baby is depicted as an angel. This is how we explain to our son why other people have their babies and we do not. "We had an angel instead."
I think it is such a great book to have for those little inquiring minds and parents alike to help make sense of a senseless, raw and devastating situation.

5.0 out of 5 stars great for children, Sept. 1 2011
D. Harper (Manitoba, CANADA) - See all my reviews
We got this book for our daughter when our son died. Our daughter is 2 & 1/2 and she now seems to understand quite a bit about her brother and what happened to him. We read her this book then she wants to look at her brother's pictures. It likely helps us as much, if not more, than it helps her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Endearing!!!!!!!!!, March 10 2004
By A Customer
This book is simply written and perfect for the preschool child to understand the death of a baby before birth. The illustrations are magnificant and capture the preciousness of life. I thought this book was beautiful and donated it to the school.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, though not what I expected, Dec 6 2012
The book was not as comforting as I expected in our time of grieving, although it was still something we may be able to use to help tell our future children about our first. Definitely a tool to help children understand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for grieving preschoolers, Oct. 26 2013
This book helps during a difficult loss - the book explains things in simple terms. It is well illustrate and simple.

We Were Gonna Have a Baby, But We Had an Angel Instead
We Were Gonna Have a Baby, But We Had an Angel Instead by Pat Schwiebert (Paperback - Jan. 1 2003)
CDN$ 11.29 CDN$ 10.37