5.0 out of 5 stars Freedom is so sweet...thank you Allen Carr
Thank you Allen Carr for writing this wonderful book. I was given this book last Christmas by my sister, who quit with it (along with her husband and their son) in 2000. Now I feel stupid for having wasted all that time. If I'd known how easy it was going to be I'd have done it a long time ago.
The last year has been the best of my life. I never thought I'd be happy...
Published on Dec 28 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Only easy if you're already committed
My husband and I both read this book with different reactions.

The book claims that you won't need willpower to quit, but what he really means is that willpower alone won't do it: you also need to change your attitude about smoking and adopt the mentality of a non-smoker, i.e. someone who never got hooked and finds smoking appalling.

I was already...
Published on Nov. 14 2009 by Mercedes

5.0 out of 5 stars Freedom is so sweet...thank you Allen Carr, Dec 28 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking (Paperback)
The last year has been the best of my life. I never thought I'd be happy without smokes in my life, but the truth is that that I have never been happier. The day I got butts out of my life was the day I really started living.
If you are a smoker or know a smoker, please get this amazing book.
It is a clear and simple instruction manual. If you want to stop smoking, follow Allen's instructions and you will find it easy and enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quitting made very, very easy, Dec 19 2004
This review is from: Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking (Paperback)
If I had known that it was this easy to quit I would have read this book years ago. I really can't believe that I struggled with patches, gum etc for so many years when this simple, effective cure was available the whole time. Health Canada should distribute this title free of charge to every smoker in Canada.
Every smoker I know who has read this book is now a happy non-smoker. It really is that powerful and that easy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Only easy if you're already committed, Nov. 14 2009
Mercedes (SK, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking (Paperback)
My husband and I both read this book with different reactions.

I was already 150% committed to quitting, had already come up with most of Allen's arguments on my own, and reading the book was a great confirmation of my decision. All the previous times I tried quitting, it was because I "should" and not because I "wanted to." That's what truly made this time different: I truly wanted to be free.

My quitting gave my husband motivation to quit too, so he read the book after me.

He has been a smoker much longer than me and was much more "brainwashed" (as Allen puts it) into believing he enjoys smoking. But I'm pretty sure that when it's -40 outside and he's shivering through a cigarette, he would much rather be a non-smoker. But the satisfaction he gets from relieving his morning nicotine fix is enough to give him the illusion that he really enjoys smoking, at least sometimes.

Bottom line: If you've made up your mind and you're determined to quit, this book can definitely help get you on track, and help change your thought pattern into seeing quitting as a positive thing. But if you feel like you "should" quit or someone's forcing you to read the book, then Allen will feel like just another nag.

The book is deliberately repetitive: the author starts out by telling us that he quit because of a hypnotist, and I believe the repetition is his attempt to "hypnotize" the reader. He uses the same phrases over and over so that they stick in your head and pop up when you're thinking about cheating on your commitment.

I'm giving it 3 stars because it does have excellent advice for someone who has already decided to quit, but it definitely won't motivate you if you haven't motivated yourself. And it will only be "easy" if you already know that you hate smoking and you just need that extra boost.

5.0 out of 5 stars HOLY %$*^& I DID IT TOO!, Sept. 29 2008
Sue (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking (Paperback)
I will be forever greatful to my best friend for recommending this book and to Allen Carr for writing it. Simply put- I read it and I quit. I have tried countless of times to quit smoking. I have been on zyban twice and Champix once. I had just started another round of Zyban when I started reading this book. By the end of the book I quit smoking and quit the Zyban too. The next week I went out drinking with friends and didn't smoke! I even stood outside while they smoked and I didn't smoke. It really is truly amazing. If you smoke and want to quit- READ THIS BOOK. If I can do it, you can do it! Don't be afraid! You must keep smoking through the whole book. You can't quit first and you can't cut down. Just buy it, read it and discover the freedom! Woohoooo!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars EVERY SMOKER SHOULD READ THIS BOOK! It's your best chance at quitting!, Nov. 15 2006
This review is from: Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking (Paperback)
Thank you to my sister who referred me to this book. Thank you Allen Carr for I am officially a non-smoker & a happy one at that! No one had ever made it so clear the way Allen has. When I smoked my final cigarette, I didn't realize that I was already a non-smoker. I MADE myself smoke it--I didn't look forward to inhaling the filth deep into my lungs (I actually heaved throughout the process & threw up at the end of it) but I looked forward to never smoking again! If you've tried it all & you have failed, READ THIS BOOK! I have two sisters who I thought would never quit, me being the one who has always wanted to & tried several times to quit. To my surprise, they both quit--and so have I. For the small amount of people that feel this book failed them--they obviously didn't get it & I feel sorry for them.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, Jan. 2 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking (Paperback)
The book's a bit silly, and some of the arguments are dodgy, but that doesn't seem to matter. It works, and it's surprisingly easy (it takes a _little_ will power, but not much). I know a couple of people who've read it--one quit, the other didn't. But it's not much of an investment, so you might as well try it. One bit of advice. Some people are more than ready to quit before they've finished the book, and have no doubt they'll succeed. But if, like me, you finish the book and still feel a little worried, don't be discouraged, it still seems to work even if you're not _completely_ confident of success.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy, Easy, Easy!, Jan. 5 2007
This review is from: Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking (Paperback)
Thanks to Allen's book, I went from two packs a day for the last 22 years to zero. This manual explains why you smoke, as opposed to why you should'nt (smokers already know the risks.) The book eliminates the desire to smoke without scare tactics. No desire = No CRAVINGS. There is nothing to loose by reading this book. You keep smoking as you normally would. Because Allen believes that the mega-profit making tabacco industry and governments are the problem there is no need to fear smoker bashing in this book. Allen is very kind and sympathetic to the smoker who gets caught in the man made "Trap" of nicotine addiction.

I have to date given 20 copies of this book to friends. 17 out of 20 are happy non-smokers! I'm sure the 3 folks still smoking have not read the book. When they really want to quit they will read this book.

Give yourself a special gift and give this book a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Year Later...., Feb. 23 2006
Gord B. (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking (Paperback)
I posted a review last year regarding this book entitled, "Absolutely Amazing"! and I want to tell you a year to the day later, that this book's information has worked for me and I feel great!
I am still smoke free and haven't missed it one bit! If you really want to stop smoking, you have to read this book! Period.
It is the easiest, healthiest and most inexpensive way for you to stop and honestly, you won't miss smoking at all. Thank you Allen Carr.

5.0 out of 5 stars I know I'll never smoke again, Sept. 10 2005
This review is from: Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking (Paperback)
I quit one month ago today after reading Allen Carr's book. It took about 2 hours to read, and I really had no intention of not smoking when I was done. But when I closed the book I thought to myself, "what are you going to do?" and I have not wanted a cigarette, so I have not smoked a cigarette. It's the strangest feeling to not WANT a cigarette. And that's what has made this TIME I quit different than all the others over my 22 year love/hate relationship with cigarettes. This has not been a white knuckle ride, it's been ridiculously easy. Don't be afraid of a book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved my life, Sept. 7 2013
This review is from: Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking (Paperback)
Incredible book. Not the most eloquently written or engaging, but speaks the truth about smoking in such a way that by the end of the book, you'll be ready (and excited) to stop. I quit three weeks ago (after ten years of smoking) with no withdrawals or unmanageable urges, have not gained a pound, and couldn't be happier. It actually is easy. Best of luck, and if I can do it, so can you.

ARRAY(0xad3f36d8)

Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr (Paperback - Aug. 1 2004)
Used & New from: CDN$ 4.99