Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

Showing 1-8 of 8 reviews(3 star).Show all reviews
TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 14, 2009
My husband and I both read this book with different reactions.

The book claims that you won't need willpower to quit, but what he really means is that willpower alone won't do it: you also need to change your attitude about smoking and adopt the mentality of a non-smoker, i.e. someone who never got hooked and finds smoking appalling.

I was already 150% committed to quitting, had already come up with most of Allen's arguments on my own, and reading the book was a great confirmation of my decision. All the previous times I tried quitting, it was because I "should" and not because I "wanted to." That's what truly made this time different: I truly wanted to be free.

My quitting gave my husband motivation to quit too, so he read the book after me.

He has been a smoker much longer than me and was much more "brainwashed" (as Allen puts it) into believing he enjoys smoking. But I'm pretty sure that when it's -40 outside and he's shivering through a cigarette, he would much rather be a non-smoker. But the satisfaction he gets from relieving his morning nicotine fix is enough to give him the illusion that he really enjoys smoking, at least sometimes.

Bottom line: If you've made up your mind and you're determined to quit, this book can definitely help get you on track, and help change your thought pattern into seeing quitting as a positive thing. But if you feel like you "should" quit or someone's forcing you to read the book, then Allen will feel like just another nag.

The book is deliberately repetitive: the author starts out by telling us that he quit because of a hypnotist, and I believe the repetition is his attempt to "hypnotize" the reader. He uses the same phrases over and over so that they stick in your head and pop up when you're thinking about cheating on your commitment.

I'm giving it 3 stars because it does have excellent advice for someone who has already decided to quit, but it definitely won't motivate you if you haven't motivated yourself. And it will only be "easy" if you already know that you hate smoking and you just need that extra boost.
on May 13, 2011
Didn't work for me but it worked for my mother. I can tell you that its worth it though, I intend to stop this years and I will certainly succeed and partly because of this book, because the theories in it are still in my head, I just wasn't ready for it. Overall, pretty interesting and fun book to read, new perspective on tobacco, one I've never seen anywhere before!
on January 7, 2014
I bought this for my brother but he lost it before he was done reading it. He still smokes but did say the book was excellent and he cut back a lot while reading it. Does it really work? Wondering if I should buy another copy???
on February 12, 2013
This book would work better for myself if I could continue reading it, and not just in short spurts. I will continue to try to read it over again, but I have heard that it does work amazingly.
on April 18, 2011
bought this for a friend. she still smokes !!!! probably she really didn't want to quit badly enough.
on February 20, 2013
the person who received this book as a gift said that it made him want to smoke more. he actually read it twice.
on July 9, 2014
This book did not help me quit. Not for everybody I guess. I found another way to quit.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Is "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" just another how-to book to help smokers quit? Yes. Can it help? Yes. Will it be easy? Probably not. If it were easy, the world would have fewer smokers. Don't let the illusion of a promising title fool you otherwise.

Question: Which book is best? Answer: The one which gets you to quit. Will "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" be the book? Maybe.

If you have read a dozen books on quitting, and are still looking for "the answer," the odds are not as strong than if Carr's book is the first you have seen.

Carr presents his opinions why people continue to smoke even though they are aware of the financial cost, the physical toil, the manipulation by tobacco companies and the culture of smoking. There is nothing new here, but interesting just the same.

Method-wise, Carr does not offer anything unusual. Quitting is not unusual. You quit. He does try to provide motivation and reason for this, but, like any good smoking book, quickly acknowledges it is the determination that ultimately makes it happen.

What is the best way to quit? My mom had heard all the horrors and continued to smoke. My dad had read a few books, and continued to smoke.

Having watched my own mother die of lung cancer at age 56, I saw the ugly and bitter results of smoking, as she started as a teen. Her addiction to cigarettes did not wane in her final 14 months, even as her body crumbled. Fortunately, to this my father (pack and half daily) responded and quit cold turkey after 43 years. He has remained smoke-free for many years.

Need to quit? Like New Year's Resolutions, real efforts start immediately, not on an assigned date with an assigned process. If another book on quitting smoking, or your first book, will influence you to quit immediately, then "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr might do the job.

Anthony Trendl