5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful look into not only the good sides of the ...
Published 23 days ago by robin123

3.0 out of 5 stars so so
The first half of the book was very intriguing to me but I found the last half of the book not as interesting.
Published 19 days ago by Zealot

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful look into not only the good sides of the ..., July 27 2014
Unbelievable incite into Colony and segregated life from mainstream society and the emotions felt when a family leaves that lifestyle and works to make it on their own. Wonderful look into not only the good sides of the Colony lifestyle but also the bad. Wonderful, emotional story that made me want to reach out and hug the little girl the Author used to be. A book I couldn`t put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars A terrific read!, July 13 2014
I loved the in depth look at a culture that seems so 'off the grid', to me. Mary-Ann presented her story in such a way that she brought out the good, the not-so-good and the human side of the Hutterites. If you have ever been curious about the Hutterites and their Colony's this is the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 11 2014
I really enjoyed the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, July 7 2014
Was a good read, written to be an easy but kept interest . Always interesting to learn how others live and their believes.

4.0 out of 5 stars but then got better. Could not put it down, June 29 2014
Sarted off a little confusing with the characters, but then got better. Could not put it down.

3.0 out of 5 stars so so, July 31 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars love the story, Aug. 4 2014
Absolutely great story , loved it . Can relate a lot to it . Can't wait to read the next one

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book I've Read in a Long Time..., May 17 2010
This review is from: I Am Hutterite: The Fascinating True Story of One Woman's Journey to Reclaim Her Heritage (Paperback)
Mary-Ann Kirkby is a wonderful writer. Once I started reading this book, I could not put it down. Reading her memoir is like reminiscing with a close friend. Having grown up in Winnipeg, I often saw the Hutterites in the Sears and Woolco department stores, and wondered about these odd people who looked like they stepped out of the 18th century. My grandparents knew a lot about the Hutterites, given our family's German Baptist heritage. Looking back, it is amusing to think the the Hutterites would have thought of my very strict, religious grandparents as being "English". Mary-Ann's account gave me a pretty good idea of what life was probably like for my great great grandparents in the German farming communites in Poland and Russia. All in all, a wonderful book, probably the best I have ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly wonderful story, Dec 5 2013
We were talking about books one night and my neighbour handed me I Am Hutterite by Mary-Ann Kirkby and he said, "You must read this." So I did. What a wonderful read this was! Heartwarming, honest and beautifully told, this was a fascinating glimpse into a part of Canadian culture that is generally hidden and misunderstood by the rest of us "english." All of it was so vividly described that I found myself wanting to sit around the communal kitchen and share in those mouthwatering meals, or attend a wedding, or walk down those sandy paths. I Am Hutterite is pure joy and I would recommend it to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars I am Hutterite, by Mary-Ann Kirkby, May 20 2010
Did you know of a community of people called the Hutterites? Nearly five thousand strong, living in both the United States and Canada?

I didn't either, until I read this book. It was sent to me for review by Thomas Nelson. Kirkby tells the story of her family, lifelong Hutterites, who eventually left the shelter of their colony and struggled to make a life for themselves in the outside world.

The main principle governing Hutterite life is the sharing of food and property. Meals are cooked communally - "twenty-five dozen buns and fifteen loaves of bread" for one colony each week. Men meet regularly to discuss major purchases which will be used for everyone's good.

Like so many things in life, this has positives and negatives. No one goes hungry, but there's no much chance of a private life either. And one day, the needs of Mary-Ann's family conflict once too often with the wishes of the colony's minister.

But the book actually starts with Mary Maendel, the author's mother, and her marriage to Ronald Dornn. While this wasn't fast-paced or dramatic, it was fascinating to read because it described the Hutterite mindset, daily life and history in detail. It's like an adult, German-influenced version of "Little House on the Prairie".

One warning, though. If you're going to try this book, please have some food on hand. I got really peckish after reading about soft cheese sprinkled with caraway seeds and waffles soaked in whiskey.

Mary Dornn's marriage resulted in seven living children, the youngest of whom was only four when her husband cut his ties with a community where his family was fed and protected but where he had almost no autonomy. For instance, he was denied permission to take a trip to visit his sisters in Ontario.

In 1969 he decided to leave, even knowing that was the most shameful thing a Hutterite could do. He had no money or bank account. He took care of the cows for the colony, keeping records of the livestock, but when he asked for one cow that request was denied too.

His daughter, the book's author, was nine years old at the time.

Life went from the busy, bustling community to the loneliness of a single family in a dilapidated house, from fresh food to outdated groceries that were cheaper. The family adapted to their first phone, baseball and McDonalds. And Mary-Ann struggled to "transform from a Hutterite nobody to an English somebody" - all the while caught between two very different worlds.

Readers may have a little difficulty telling who's who and keeping track of all the people involved, and the story isn't as dramatic as, say, Carolyn Jessop's "Escape". At times it was a little slow-moving, but then I'd come across an anecdote like this:

"Hutterite dresses didn't have pockets, so most of the women used their bras to store small items such as hairpins, safety pins and Kleenex. Esther, Annie reported, carried tea bags and sugar lumps that way too. When an outsider dropped in to see Esther's husband, she sent one of her children for him and offered the stranger a cup of tea, nonchalantly pulling a tea bag and two sugar lumps from her bosom.

When she asked whether he took cream, the flabbergasted businessman jumped out of his chair and cried, "No thanks!" as he fled the scene."

Worth reading, I'd say.