5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful look into not only the good sides of the ...
Published 1 month ago by robin123

3.0 out of 5 stars so so
The first half of the book was very intriguing to me but I found the last half of the book not as interesting.
Published 1 month ago by Zealot

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful look into not only the good sides of the ..., July 27 2014
Unbelievable incite into Colony and segregated life from mainstream society and the emotions felt when a family leaves that lifestyle and works to make it on their own. Wonderful look into not only the good sides of the Colony lifestyle but also the bad. Wonderful, emotional story that made me want to reach out and hug the little girl the Author used to be. A book I couldn`t put down.

4.0 out of 5 stars I love reading true stories, Sept. 17 2014
This review is from: I Am Hutterite (Hardcover)
I love reading true stories, and I Am Hutterite is proving to be very enjoyable and giving me a glimpse of a simpler life and a perhaps more fulfilling life, compared to the life that many of live in our technological society.

5.0 out of 5 stars A terrific read!, July 13 2014
I loved the in depth look at a culture that seems so 'off the grid', to me. Mary-Ann presented her story in such a way that she brought out the good, the not-so-good and the human side of the Hutterites. If you have ever been curious about the Hutterites and their Colony's this is the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 11 2014
I really enjoyed the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, July 7 2014
Was a good read, written to be an easy but kept interest . Always interesting to learn how others live and their believes.

4.0 out of 5 stars but then got better. Could not put it down, June 29 2014
Sarted off a little confusing with the characters, but then got better. Could not put it down.

3.0 out of 5 stars so so, July 31 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars love the story, Aug. 4 2014
Absolutely great story , loved it . Can relate a lot to it . Can't wait to read the next one

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book I've Read in a Long Time..., May 17 2010
This review is from: I Am Hutterite: The Fascinating True Story of One Woman's Journey to Reclaim Her Heritage (Paperback)
Mary-Ann Kirkby is a wonderful writer. Once I started reading this book, I could not put it down. Reading her memoir is like reminiscing with a close friend. Having grown up in Winnipeg, I often saw the Hutterites in the Sears and Woolco department stores, and wondered about these odd people who looked like they stepped out of the 18th century. My grandparents knew a lot about the Hutterites, given our family's German Baptist heritage. Looking back, it is amusing to think the the Hutterites would have thought of my very strict, religious grandparents as being "English". Mary-Ann's account gave me a pretty good idea of what life was probably like for my great great grandparents in the German farming communites in Poland and Russia. All in all, a wonderful book, probably the best I have ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly wonderful story, Dec 5 2013
We were talking about books one night and my neighbour handed me I Am Hutterite by Mary-Ann Kirkby and he said, "You must read this." So I did. What a wonderful read this was! Heartwarming, honest and beautifully told, this was a fascinating glimpse into a part of Canadian culture that is generally hidden and misunderstood by the rest of us "english." All of it was so vividly described that I found myself wanting to sit around the communal kitchen and share in those mouthwatering meals, or attend a wedding, or walk down those sandy paths. I Am Hutterite is pure joy and I would recommend it to anyone.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›