4.0 out of 5 stars Canadian Talent Shines, Jan. 21 2010
J. Scully "withagoodbook" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Canadian Voices. Volume One.: An Anthology of Prose and Poetry by Emerging Canadian Writers (Paperback)
Canadian Voices: Volume One is a lovely collection of short stories and poems written by a variety of budding Canadian authors. When I started this book, I sat down with a pack of post-it tabs beside me so I could flag my favourite works in order to highlight them in my review. I quickly realized that this was going to be a waste of time since I was flagging almost every story! Granted there were a few pieces that didn't work for me, but for the most part this is a fantastic collection of writing that truly highlights the multiculturalism and diversity of Canadians.

I often shy away from short stories because I love to get lost in new worlds and adventures when I'm reading, and with short stories it sometimes feels like they end just as you're getting absorbed. But with so many great tales packed into this book, I found myself rushing through each story, eager to uncover the next little gem that waited just a few pages away. One of the stories (Spontaneous Adventure by Sally Dillon) brought me to tears with its emotional tale, while another story of family and illness (Joey and the Turtle by Alison E. Bruce) took me through an array of emotions. An excerpt from the novel Homecoming by Sherry Isaac was so intriguing that I've added the book to my wish-list!

Not having read much poetry since I was in school, I wasn't sure what to expect when I got to the poetry section of the book. But I was pleasantly surprised by the wonderful collection of prose. I found the poems by Elizabeth Barnes were wonderful, and enjoyed the offerings of Cassie McDaniel, R.G. Condie and John Ambury to name just a few.

With its vast collection of authors and stories, I believe Canadian Voices: Volume One has something for almost every reader to enjoy. I hope to see many people pick this one up (and pass it on!) in an effort to support and promote our country's remarkable talent.

5.0 out of 5 stars One People, Many Voices, Nov. 23 2009
Since I know one of the authors in Canadian Voices personally, I thought I should come and write a review.

This book is a wonderful compilation of many different writing styles, both poetry and prose. Kudos to BookLand Press for publishing such a well-put together anthology showcasing many Canadian authors, some of whom have never before had their work published (as is the case with the author I referred to earlier). I hope that this book will be read by those who might be of the opinion that only something read by Oprah is worthwhile buying (maybe I'll send my copy to her!)...or might think that Canada has not produced any good authors...

There are certainly enough stories and poems here to appeal to anyone's tastes. The works in here cross all cultural, racial, ethnic, religious and gender lines - I have read quite a number (there are 60 authors represented) and am not finished yet. Hope that this book will be high on your Christmas/Holiday giving list - if you know someone who enjoys a good book, and you are looking for something fresh and new - here it is. In fact, this anthology has been so successful, that submissions are already being requested for Volume 2.

Used & New from: CDN$ 8.27