5.0 out of 5 stars WONDER TOOL FOR THE LSAT!
Are you smart? Were you shocked at how fundamentally simple you felt in the presence of the logic games section? Read on.
Published on April 17 2004 by stefanie l. semper

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this unless your LSAT is lower than 150
Ok, I can see how this book can help somebody who has very limited logical mind. If you are comfortable with logics, it would be far faster and easier to figure out the games in your own way. Try solving the old test problems and you will definitely find your own best diagrams to solve them efficiently. This book can even slow you down by making you follow the given steps...
Published on July 19 2004

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars WONDER TOOL FOR THE LSAT!, April 17 2004
This review is from: LSAT Logic Games Bible (Paperback)
Of 77-78 possible points on the other three LSAT sections, I typically score 70-72, not a slouch performance. On my first LSAT pre-assessment GAMES section I answered 12 (half of the possible) with only two correct answers. You want to talk about a reality check?! The sheer magnitude of the failure crushed me.
So I did what you've likely done - purchased "Master", "Princeton", "Kaplan", "Kaplan 180", blah, blah, blah, ad infinitum. Most give obtuse instruction for someone with my GAMES ability. I needed remedial help from step one with a "1-2-3 learn and apply" appoach. This is where the "Bible" shines.
By using accessible language for someone from a non-logic background, it guides you step by step into full comprehension of games principles (through the most complex and universally applicable) and, most importantly to me, to practical application of those principles by drilling in practice exericses. Included are full (read:complete) explanations of all answers for the times you say, "huh?".
Remember calculus? You kind of understood the fundamental principles, but the ceaseless practice (homework) made you proficient. Same thing. No need to have the esoteric comprehension of a logician when you can apply and win. After all, isn't law about practical application of principles? (Aspiring judges primed to write opinions and set precedents please do not respond.)
If you are already scoring 20 points in the GAMES section or possess a preternatural ability to manipulate these questions in mental space, forget this book. Pick up "Kaplan 180" and enjoy your Yale scholarship. For the rest of us, the "Bible" is REQUIRED reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good strategy although sometimes over the top..., July 25 2009
Wd Jay Matheson (Halifax, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PowerScore LSAT Logic Games Bible (Paperback)
Although this edition is a significant improvement from the 2003 edition it offers very little in the line of new strategy for attacking the games. It does, however, provide more practice questions that are actually former LSAT questions. These, in combination with the answer explanation pages, make the bulk of the advertised extended edition.

This book has been a great introduction to the games section for me, but sometimes the author's LSAT rhetoric is not only boring but virtually useless. The strategy is good, but the enforced suggestion to memorize all his cleverly trademarked names for different question types is over the top. Read this book but do not be too concerned with the trademarked names. Practice the questions and use the strategy suggested. The author does have an easily understandable and, in my opinion, powerful diagramming system which has made the foreign land of logic games more easily solved for me.

Worth the cash over the 2003 torrent pdf I read and will most likely be an easy resell since no book stores in my area carry it.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Resource for a Scary Test, May 28 2004
"darensong" (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LSAT Logic Games Bible (Paperback)
I decided to purchase this book after reading about it on several law school chat boards. I wasn't sure any book could help me with games, but after reading the comments, I took the chance. I feel quite fortunate that I did.
First, this is a serious book for a serious test. There is no joking around or making fun of the LSAT. The author immediately sets out to discuss the different types of games on the LSAT and spends quite a bit of time discussing how to set up and diagram the rules for the games. For me, this was critical because I needed significant improvement in even understanding how to approach the games, and this book delivered. The diagramming advice was sensible and intuitive, and I had no trouble adopting the approach advocated by the author. Literally, I felt like I was being given the mental tools to handle the test.
Second, although there are games discussed in the text and drill sets, the recurrent theme seems to be an emphasis on solving games through recognition of form. I found this to be a unique approach, and one the benefited me tremendously. As I continued through the book I began to see that certain elements appeared again and again, and by recognizing those elements I had a handle on how to approach the game as well as a way to attack new games.
Third, at the conclusion of each chapter there are game sets and each game is explained in detail. I found this to be very helpful since I could do the game on my own and then immediately review to see what errors I made. By doing this I made significant progress in correcting my errors.
Discovering this book was a positive turning point in my preparation. The $45 I spent gave me renewed confidence in my ability to solve games and was, in my opinion, the best investment I made in this whole law school process.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Incredible Resource, Feb. 9 2004
This review is from: LSAT Logic Games Bible (Paperback)
Before finding this book I was hoping to cut my losses to just 9 questions missed on the games section. It was very frustrating because I am extremely strong on the other LSAT sections and it seemed as though the games had the power to really sink my score.
Not so anymore. I now believe I am quite capable of hitting every game and missing less then 6 questions on the entire section. I am now aiming to consistently miss 3 or 4 questions max per games section, and believe this is a very reasonable goal. It also takes pressure off of my performance on the other sections.
I have spent about 3 weeks emersed in this book, and this past weekend I finished a couple games in under 6 minutes with every question right. Give yourself a chance. I was stinking up the first couple of shapters, and almost felt like I was a lost cause, but I went through the first 2 chapters 3 times and actually learned a lot from redoing games over and over again. By the time I reached the grouping games I realized I was getting better at them.
Generally, each game has a major constraint of some kind that can easily be overlooked, but if indentified can allow the game to be solved in sufficient time. The book gives you very solid strategies for breaking down the games that will better enable you to identify these constraints.
My advice for a successful games performance is to work through this book thoroughly, then practice on MANY real tests with the techniques learned in the book. If you bomb a game on a practice test, be sure to identify the strategy from this book that would have allowed you to complete it sucessfully. You should find that with time you naturally come up with the right strategy for any game you encounter.
You may find that following the book will slow you down at first, but I would not worry about time until you have the methods down. I am finding that I can put most games now in context to something I have done and I am becoming adept at using strategies I have learned from past mistakes.
As with any resource, you may find that some modifications will suit you. I find that as long as I have a strong initial diagram, I dont have to diagram for many of the questions as i can just do the work in my head. I also made some slight modifications to a few of the rule symbols. Do what works for you, but give this book a chance. If my games performance can get better then anyones can! You should also find that your short term memory improves with frequent games practice, this will allow you to keep better track of rules in your head. I thought that the years of excess had taken a toll on my short term memory, but it seeems to be waking up nicely.
best of luck. this along with practice tests and possibly the Nova book for some basics on reading comp/logic reasoning are probably the best way to spend your money. I have found the Kaplan and Princeton Review books to be pretty useless. I actually took a Kaplan course when I took the test about 6 years ago and it was a complete waste of time and money. Did nothing to improve my score.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beats the competition hands down, Dec 21 2003
J. J. Hughes (New Haven, CT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LSAT Logic Games Bible (Paperback)
I have currently completed studying logic games with this book, Master the LSAT (which was recommended in several Amazon.com reviews), Kaplan LSAT (for average students), and Kaplan LSAT 180 (for very strong students). The Logic Games Bible by PowerScore was definitely the most helpful of any of the books. Applying PowerScore's methods has reduced my time per game from 13 minutes to 8 - which gives me enought to complete every game in the section - and to boot, I'm hitting 100 percent accuracy on most of the practice tests I've taken from real LSATs and simulated tests from other companies. I didn't think that was possible.
PowerScore was helpful because it includes clear suggestions for the best way to diagram any of the game types and what to watch out for when diagramming. (As I mention below, Kaplan doesn't do this.) It is the only book of the four I've used that exclusively uses actual logic games administered since the LSAT was rewritten in 1991. The other books don't do that because they don't want to pay as much in licensing fees (which is reflected in this book's comparably high price), but their simulated questions have a much different feel. Simulated questions are often too easy, which can leave you underprepared, or too difficult, which can frustrate you needlessly. In addition, there are certain patterns in the way real questions are set up that other companies haven't been able to imitate.
I read the reviews that gave this book three or fewer stars, and I found all of them unconvincing. It's true that the book won't solve your timing issues automatically, but no book I've seen was very helpful on timing. PowerScore does have a fairly strong section discussing who should skip a game and who shouldn't, and it goes over some rules for picking the hardest game if you do decide to skip one. I haven't seen anything more than that about timing in any other book. Ultimately, practice makes perfect, and again, using real questions for practice will be a big help in terms of timing.
This book does have a few typos, which I was surprised to see in a book of such quality in terms of content. But this isn't a mass market publication, and the fact that PowerScore apparently doesn't have the financial resources to hire decent copy editors won't impact your LSAT score.
Kaplan's book wasn't nearly as helpful. It gives broad suggestions (e.g., use a concise system that you understand), but it's much more helpful to have someone suggest symbols that will capture the essence of most games. I'm still thinking about taking Kaplan's classroom course, since I presume that there is more information in it, but I wouldn't recommend their book to someone on a limited budget. It took me only a few hours to get through the lessons, and I think studying simulated practice tests is a waste of time when you can get real tests.
Master the LSAT is not a bad book. Unlike Kaplan, it does include a real LSAT logic game in each section. I think it will be a good tool for reading comprehension and the analysis section. But if you can afford to get the Logic Games Bible, I would study with that first and only go to Master the LSAT if you have extra time. Once you have studied the Logic Games Bible, most of the examples in Master the LSAT will be easy. (I completed some Master the LSAT logic games in under four minutes with 100 percent accuracy.)
Overall, an excellent resource and well worth the extra money.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, Dec 10 2003
Christina MorknerBrown (Columbia, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LSAT Logic Games Bible (Paperback)
Like many people who take the LSAT, I found the Logic Games section to be the most challenging. I splurged and purchased this book in addition to the 10 Official Prep Tests. I worked through this book from cover to cover and found it to be very thorough and clear. It clearly explains the different games types, how to set up the games with clear diagrams, and how to best approach each question. The book only uses actual LSAT questions as examples. This is a must! Some other prep books create their own, which may or maynot be like the ones you encounter on the LSAT. By the end of the book, my confidence in tackling this section was greatly improved. I was still challenged to finish all four games on my practice drills. With the help of this book, I came up with a strategy to deal with the time constraints. I just took the LSAT on Dec.6 and managed to get through the games section on time.

5.0 out of 5 stars this one worked for me, May 3 2004
David Jennings (Atlanta, Georgia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LSAT Logic Games Bible (Paperback)
There are two things to know about the LSAT before studying for it: (1) at least for native English speakers, the analytic (or "logic games") section of the test is by far the most challenging; and (2) no one can do well on the analytic section without study and practice. Thus the choice of the correct study plan geared toward the analytic/logic games section of the test can make or break your LSAT performance, which in turn can go far toward determining where you go to law school (local vs. regional, regional vs. national, top 15 vs. top 5, etc.).
For some reason, I chose the PowerScore book, and now I'm sitting pretty. This guide has four huge advantages over other guides that I looked over:
(1) the suggested notation is concise, thus leading to less scribbling time and more answering time in the test. This is very important insofar as the logic games section of the LSAT is the most "intensely timed" section of any test that I've ever taken.
(2) the categorization of problem types is accurate and easy to understand. As any guide will tell you, the logic games featured in the LSAT fall into a small set of recognizable types. However, some guides that I've seen posit phalanx of potential problem types, including types of problems that make reference to non-essential attributes like time. This is BAD. A linear problem is a linear problem regardless of whether its linear in time or in space. Anything else is needless confusion.
(3) this guide does NOT propose shortcuts to problem solving. By contrast, other guides that I encountered suggested FROM THE BEGINNING that test takers plan to skip a problem completely in order to save time. This is a supposed shortcut that actually cripples your performance before you've even begun. In reality, there are methods for solving logic game problems, but there are no short cuts. Use the methods recommended, practice alot, and then and only then consider skipping anything. (In my LSAT, I answered every problem, scored well, and had a minute or two left over to sharpen my pencil.)

(3) the sample problems are mostly taken from actual LSATs, and the made up problems are true to the LSAT model. Particularly nice is the reference in the back of the book that characterizes EACH published LSAT analytic problem as regards problem type.
In sum, I studied for a month and a half for the LSAT, using the Logic Games Bible as my study guide and LSAC's 10 More Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests for my practice material. I practiced the tests (both in part and in full) under timed conditions. I disregarded the reading comp. and logic sections almost entirely. Result: I scored well enough to get me where I want to go, and suffice it to say I was aiming high from the beginning.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best, Jan. 5 2004
David Jennings (Atlanta, Georgia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LSAT Logic Games Bible (Paperback)
Based on my reading of reviews of various study guides, and of the "teaser" sections of many study guide websites, as well as on my personal experience with several guides, I must say that the Logic Games Bible is easily the best of its class. Stated briefly, the LGB helped me bring myself from a state of near panic to the 99th percentile among LSAT testers. The advantage of LGB over the competition is threefold:
- an emphasis upon a simple, analytic approach to understanding problem types.
- realistic and efficient diagramming strategies appropriate to each game type.
- lack of "tricks" and "shortcuts" for "beating" the LSAT. Taking the analytic section of the LSAT involves a good deal of logic, some art, and intensive practice. The LGB gives the student a start on the correct approach without proffering false promises of acing the test through non-existent "secret strategies."
If you are having no problem with the reading comp and logic sections of the test, but the analytic section is proving to be a bugbear, then I would suggest that you stick exclusively to the Logic Games Bible in conjunction with the LSAT preptests (for practice).

4.0 out of 5 stars If You are Scared by Logic Games Get This Book!, Nov. 18 2003
Arden Peters (Durango, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LSAT Logic Games Bible (Paperback)
For me, the worst part of the LSAT was the logic games section. I purchased several other books including Kaplan and Princeton Review before buying this book. This by far, was the best resource I could have invested in for the Logic Games Section of the LSAT. I can't imagine having taken the test without the aid of this book. It wasn't a page turner, but I worked my way through each chapter carefully and ended up doing much better on the Logic Games section of the LSAT than I ever imagined possible. If you are anything like me and are CONFUSED and frustrated by the logic games and about to give up, buy this book, work through it carefully, take notes, and you will notice a huge difference in your performance. Following the advice in this book was the single most important step I took in improving my score, and I recommend this book to anyone who wants to get a good LSAT score and is willing to invest some time and energy in methodically applying the techniques that are outlined in the book to their practice tests and studies.

4.0 out of 5 stars Analytical Reasoning is hard; this book helps., June 4 2004
Amazon Customer "ajwhite17" (University of Illinois-Urbana) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LSAT Logic Games Bible (Paperback)
I've spent a lot of time studying for the LSAT and reading reviews people have written for different books. Having a lot of experience in this field, I would say the the Logic Games Bible is very helpful for three reasons.
1) People need extra help on the games section, and this provides a lot of practice.
2) It helps identify game types, then reinforces it through practice, so you're able to know how to approach a problem.
3) It provides games practice without having to ruin an entire practice test (or 3 or 4) by just taking the games section and not the other three.
Anyway, I needed help with games, and while this book is not going to give you a 180, this book does provide a lot of help and practice where most LSAT takers desperately need it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

PowerScore LSAT Logic Games Bible
PowerScore LSAT Logic Games Bible by David M. Killoran (Paperback - Jan. 1 2008)
Used & New from: CDN$ 27.95