Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen All-New Kindle Paperwhite Deal of the Day - The Beatles in Mono 14LP Vinyl Box Set SGG Tools

on May 24, 2010
JQuery Novice to Ninja is probably one of the best written and designed books out there for novice jQuery users. I had purchased other software and programming books and quickly became confused and frustrated. However, this book is well worth the money; it covers enough information for anyone wanting to use jQuery in their websites; the resources as well as the examples used are up-to-date which is often not the case with other programming/software books. I purchased this book after reading the reviews from others who had purchased it from the site; they were right. Anyone who would like to use jQuery in their websites should have this book on their bookshelf.
on September 17, 2011
Book starts off with simple ideas to get you going. What I don't like about the book is that it tends to gloss over some details leaving you to figure out what some of the syntax means. This doesn't happen often, but when it does it's annoying.

I rate this book average, I would still recommend you get a copy to get you going with JQuery. If you're a hacker you can pick-up other things once the basics are mastered.

I am a C++ developer with over 10 years experience, I've hacked with ruby on rails and have not worked much with CSS or javascript. If you do a lot of coding with CSS & Javascript, then I am sure you will pick up things really quickly with JQuery.
on May 22, 2012
My work is mostly on the server side and with the increasingly dynamic roll of pages I need to produce services but also show that they work. So I've been drawn into, what I've surprisingly found to be the fun world of JavaScript. I've read K&Rs ANSI C, Stroustrup's C++ book, Larry Wall's Perl, JavaScript the Good parts (An excellent book btw)... Now I was not expecting this book to be on par with those but nor was I prepared for what I found.

I did not expect the book to function well as a reference (it has no value as a reference, that I'm certain) but I wanted it as a tutorial but the shear bulk of nauseatingly useless text makes that a miserable experience. After only owning it for a few weeks I decided to give it to a web designer because the book does have a lot of pictures and does show a few interesting jQuery UI features. This awareness of the tools is important for aspiring designers... So as a picture book illustrating current web capabilities it had some redeeming value.

In conclusion if you are a professional programmer this is not the book for you. As a hobby programmer looking to increase your design awareness and give you a gentile introduction to the shallow end of the pool, maybe it's okay.