5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful read, Sept. 7 2013
This review is from: My Life and Other Lies: Tales from the Writer's List (Paperback)
I literally laughed out loud when reading those 21 humorous stories of My Life and Other Lies: Tales from the Writer's List by Steve Pitt. The book reminds me of the books of the humourist, Stephen Leecock. These are well-developed real life stories written in a rich and colourful language with vivid images. The reader can visualize different characters, young or old, male or female, and charming dogs. I enjoy many cute and funny details.

My favorites are "Jambon," "Gentle Men, the Queen," "Confessions of a Cherry Tree Ogre," and "A Day in a Chinese Kitchen." Weeks after finishing the read, I can still picture those who winkled their noses or dabbed their eyes with their napkins because of undigested garlic buttered snails working in the dog's belly; the waving claw of a lobster in the feather bonnet of the marching officer due to a daredevil's practical joke; the kids on the cherry trees who enjoyed the free fruit while unexpected thieves as old as their grandparents break in a house in the neighbourhood; and the precious drinking glass for the VIP, which was finally discovered over a daddy-long-legs spider under the dish sink in a Chinese kitchen where one could easily spot a thousand porcelain cups.

On some cloudy day, I'd like to read the book again, laugh off stress and anxiety, and gain some energy from these lovely stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!!!!!!!!, Dec 16 2009
This book is super funny and a must read for everyone. I alternated between reading it aloud to my partner and trying to put it down so I wouldn't read it too quickly and then gave in and read it, and laughed, and read it, and laughed. Best not to try to read this while engaging in eating or drinking as you will laugh so hard you might choke. Even my 11 year old nephew was laughing as I read him bits.

Pitt's humour is at times subtle, and at others glaringly obviously. His ability to shape words and expressions is masterful. The stories will stick you with but you'll want to read them again, and share with friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Life and Other Lies, Dec 21 2009
It's often said that comedians are Canada's greatest export. For some reason, humorous Canucks prefer half-naked surfing at Big Sur to the existential joys of licking steel flagpoles in The Yukon. But the funny brain drain stops with Steve Pitt. He's determined to remain north of the 49th parallel if only because he's wanted for crimes against humanity. The world's loss is our gain as Pitt is clearly the finest humourist in Canada. Stephen Leacock would be proud.

Fred Desjardins
Professional Writers Association of Canada

5.0 out of 5 stars Humour in the Leacock style, Dec 16 2009
Lisa Maccoll "divawrites" (Canada) - See all my reviews
This book is laugh until you snort, guffaw and hoot out loud funny. Do not start it unless you have time to read it cover to cover, and make sure that all hot beverages are resting safely on a hard surface.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding humour writer, Dec 16 2009
Kathleen Hamilton "The crossword lady" (Montreal Canada) - See all my reviews
Steve Pitt is a truly gifted humour writer, the kind who comes along only once in a generation, perhaps once in a century.

This book is a must-have for anyone!

KH

5.0 out of 5 stars side splitting funny, March 26 2010
Heather Pearson "Heather" (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This guy is funny. Very funny. My family would be laughing to read what I am writing, as they think I don't have a sense of humour, but I was practically falling off my sofa with laughter while reading this book.

Author Steve Pitt writes about what he knows, and he seems to know a lot. He has worked as a chef, armoured truck guard, movie extra, martial arts instructor, bartender, stay at home dad.... and so much more. Everywhere he goes, he experiences life and turns it into humour. An event that I would relate in a sentence or two, he parlays into a richly detailed encounter that will leave you breathless. He sees the humour in taking your dog to do it's business, in getting a parking ticket, and even in getting caught in a rainstorm.

His view on life is a little off centre from most people I know, and that makes it so much more enjoyable. This is one book that I will be keeping on hand and re-reading whenever I need a pick me up or when I need to kick start my funny bone.

ARRAY(0xaf105d98)

My Life and Other Lies: Tales from the Writer's List
My Life and Other Lies: Tales from the Writer's List by Pitt Steve (Paperback - Nov. 20 2009)
CDN$ 20.17 CDN$ 13.68