5.0 out of 5 stars Scrumptious Photos Make Vegetarian Cooking Easy
I love this vegetarian cookbook! It is our absolute favorite.

Published on Nov. 14 2010 by Franke James

3.0 out of 5 stars Review
Overall, I think this cookbook is quite good. The pictures are very helpful and the recipes are well detailed. I tried two recipes - one was quite bland but the other recipe, the cover recipe, Black Bean Quesadillas, was excellent. I look forward to trying more recipes.
Published on Feb. 3 2011 by Serious Shopper

5.0 out of 5 stars Scrumptious Photos Make Vegetarian Cooking Easy, Nov. 14 2010
Franke James (Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Canadian Living: The Vegetarian Collection: Creative Meat-Free Dishes That Nourish and Inspire (Paperback)
I love this vegetarian cookbook! It is our absolute favorite.

Why is this cookbook so much better than the other veggie cookbooks I already have? The photography! I love being able to see what the dishes are supposed to look like. Vegetarian cooking was "foreign" to us, so having a visual to guide us, makes everything so much simpler. The meals come out looking like the photos. As creative artists we appreciate the look (and art direction) as much as the taste.

We've been trying to transition to a vegetarian (and more organic) diet for about six months now. But the trick is -- you have to know how to cook delicious vegetarian meals. "Canadian Living: The Vegetarian Collection" is helping us do that. (My husband and I also signed up for a cooking class but the recipes were so time-consuming we have not cooked any that we saw there...)

I also appreciate that Canadian Living provides the nutritional analysis on each meal: everything from calorie counts, to fiber and protein. Essential information if you want to have a healthy diet. Most of the recipes are simple and the directions are easy to follow (time estimates on food prep are also very helpful).

All in all: This is a fabulous vegetarian cookbook! Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Vegetarian Cookbook, Nov. 3 2010
Barbara F "Baba" (Victoria, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
I have always completely trusted recipes by Canadian Living and have never been disappointed. Having recently introduced vegetarian meals to our diet, I am pleased with everything I have tried so far. The meals are tasty, nutrious, and easy to prepare. I recommend this volume very highly!

5.0 out of 5 stars Vegetarian Inspired Dishes, Jan. 16 2011
For all you Vegetarians who are looking for new and inspired dishes to create this is the book for you. Easy to make....ingredients you already have in your kitchen...then just enjoy the dish. I am also experiencing just plain old fun creating, tasting and sharing. If you are getting tired of the old Vegetarian Dishes you have been creating...this is the Book for You. A must have in your Cooking Library. If you want more flavour in any of the dishes they are condusive to just stepping it up or improvising. HAVE FUN...I KNOW I AM.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creative and delicous vegetarian recipes for anyone, Jan. 27 2011
I was so excited to look through this cookbook when I received it, and it didn't disappoint! I found myself bookmarking many of the recipes that I wanted to try, and of the ones I have made so far, all of them have turned out great!

The book is not organized the same way as a typical cookbook, so you won't find sections on appetizers or desserts, for example. Instead, the chapters are organized by main ingredient (such as grains, pasta or eggs & cheese). There are also many tips and information boxes throughout that are helpful for anyone interested in becoming vegetarian. Overall, I think the recipes would appeal to anyone (vegetarian or not) and the beautiful photos also increase their appeal!

I would definitely recommend this cookbook, as I know it will become one of my most-used cookbooks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Will Not disappoint!, July 1 2011
After my husband's recent heart health concerns, I decided it was time to transition into some "meatless meals" for our family. My husband a "meat & potatoes" kind of guy "refuses" to eat "vegetarian". However, my carnivore husband really loves my new chilli recipe on pg 137 "Veggie "Chicken" Chilli" you can't tell it's made with soy protein! I've also tried the Tomato Peanut Soup pg 152, Wild Rice Mushroom Soup pg 52-53, "Black Bean Quesadillas" pg 38, "Double Mushroom Hot & Sour Soup" pg 115 was as good as my favorite restaurant's version of "Hot Sour Soup". Everything I've tried has been a success. I find myself making the recipes over and over again.

I do find this cookbook's table of content's section very unusual in that, it's section are listed as Pulses & Beans, Grains, Pasta, Tofu, Tempeh & Soy, Seeds & Nuts, etc. not easy when looking for a soup to prepare for lunch or a main for supper.

But I really enjoy the many pictures that accompany the recipe's in this book (and there are quite a few pages with pictures) Many of the pictures made me want to try recipes that I would not have tried otherwise. I have many recipes have been ear-marked that I look forwarded to making in the future.

The other thing that I really appreciate is that many of the ingredients can be easily found in major grocery/bulk food stores. There are many foot notes accompanying the recipes which I find especially helpful and informative. Very helpful when using ingredients for the first time, or unfamiliar cooking with these ingredients if new to vegetarian cooking.

Definately would recommend for anyone who wants delicious meatless meal ideas!

September 29, 2013 update: It's been over 2 years since I wrote this review and our family is still using this cookbook on a weekly basis, it is our favorite go to "Vegetarian" cookbook! We have so many favorite recipes from this cookbook! (The Vegetable Lentil Gardener's Pie pg 35...is a must try!!)Our two teenage daughters also find the recipes "delish" easy to follow/prepare.
P.S. My husband occasionally continues to eat meat but 3 of us have become completely vegetarian! This cookbook helps us stay this way without missing the meat!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cookbook.., Feb. 12 2011
I originally bought this cookbook for my Granddaughter for a gift. After looking it over I decided to buy one for myself.. I have also bought one for a friend.
The recipes are easy to follow and very good.. I am not a Vegetarian, but found I could make a meal using this book and enjoy not having meat. The pictures
of the dishes make you want to try them all..

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, Oct. 14 2012
Lots of great recipes in this cookbook! I've tried quite a few at this point - and they have ALL tasted delicious. Some err on the bland side; don't be afraid to put your touch on them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent vegetarian cookbook, Aug. 26 2012
Mungobrick (New Brunswick, Canada) - See all my reviews
We've tried numerous recipes from this book, and our son, who is a vegetarian, has tried even more. We're very impressed by the recipes we've had - the explanations are clear and the results are excellent. If you want just one vegetarian cookbook - or if you're not a vegetarian but are interested in eating less meat - this is a great choice.

3.0 out of 5 stars Review, Feb. 3 2011