summer boutiques-francophones Learn more snsflyout Pets All-New Kindle sports Tools Registry

on September 27, 2013
I'd purchased the Fodor's and Frommer's guide books on Hawaii, which cover all islands. Andrew Doughty's books were recommended to me by a Hawaiian lady I rented a cottage from. I'd seen them while searching on Amazon, but I thought I could save money by buying the "all island" books instead. Mistake. These island specific books by Doughty are much better than the Fodor's and Frommer's "all island" books in my opinion (I bought Doughty's Big Island and Kauai books). Not that the Fodor's or Frommer's Hawaii books were bad, they were just not nearly as good. Doughty's recommendations helped make for an awesome family vacation on the Big Island and Kauai. His writing is readable and entertaining. We carried the books in the car wherever we went. Each book has an accompanying smart phone app (sold separately for iPhone or Android) that is a great complement to the book. It uses the phone GPS to tell you what is nearby and even shows your exact position when on a hiking trail out of cell phone coverage area! I will be buying his Maui book (and accompanying smart phone app) before I return to Hawaii to visit that island.
on April 9, 2012
Andrew Doughty and the staff at Wizard Publications have done an amazing job with the detail and reserch in this book. Edition 4 was recommended to us at a B&B on the Big Island a couple years ago. When we were planning our trip this year, I simply HAD to buy the latest (6th) Edition a few months ahead of time. I used it to locate sites, accomodations and activities.

The detail and HONESTY of the writers is amazing. They tell you everything - and I mean EVERYTHING you need to know (including a few "true facts" that some {ie: Volcano Park Rangers} might NOT want you to know) and their information is 99% accurate. What isn't in the book is updated regularly on their web-site for changes and revisions. The additional information on the website for accomodations in INCREDIBLE! These folks have REALLY done their homework! I would not go to any other Hawiian Island without first getting their latest on that island.

My only complaint is that they DO NOT have an App on the Google Play Android Store ofr my Transformer TF101 Tablet - it is only on the iPad app store. I hope they do one for Android soon.
on December 3, 2010
Great Information which was well presented. Would recommend this book to anybody who is planning to visit the Big Island for a vacation. This book edition was recommended to me by somebody who lives on the Big Island of Hawaii.
on April 13, 2013
Terrific book. This is the second book we have purchased after giving away our first one that is now 4 years old. We bought 2 copies of this latest edition and are giving one to family members who are travelling to the Big Island next year. We will use this new one to search out all the places we missed on our previous 2 trips. There is lots of accurate and detailed info on where to go and what to see. It has become our bible while there and currently plan to spend 6 weeks there this coming winter so will be using the book to plan our next excursion.
on May 19, 2012
This guidebook was exactly what we were looking for before we travel to the Big Island of Hawaii. The information given regarding beaches and interesting local sites will be very useful to us. The author tries very hard to be humorous in his re-capping of the Island, but sometimes this falls flat and it really wasn't needed as it's a guidebook, not a jokebook. However reading past the attempted humor a reader will be pleased to find a huge amount of fascinating information which I'm sure will make a trip to the Big Island far more enjoyable.
on January 5, 2014
I liked this and other of the Hawaiian "Revealed" series because it seems to give you information about things that most the locals only know about and are not usually found in most of the other guide books. My main complaint is that I was not crazy about the Kindle version of the book (hard to use the maps and keep track of book marks). The other guide book I thought was very good was the Lonely Planet "Discover Hawaii the Big Island" which I did get in paperback.
on November 8, 2011
I don't know if this is the "best" guidebook to the Big Island of Hawaii, but it's so darn well-written that it is the "only" guidebook we will be using. It's engaging and informative, well laid-out, and the authors have walked every trail, stayed in every hotel, and eaten in every restaurant they speak about. They even unselfishly test the island's best ice cream every time they pass by, just for our sakes. Talk about dedication!
on February 19, 2011
A friend, who has visited the Big Island many times, recommended this book and an excellent recommendation it was! I found the book useful both for getting a feel for an area on the island and for looking up a specific location or activity. The author writes in an easy and humorous style that makes the book enjoyable reading. If you only buy one book on the Big Island, you can't go wrong with this one.
on August 22, 2013
I am a big tour book fan......usually tell everyone to buy Frommer's books when they travel. However, when it comes to traveling to Hawaii, nothing beats the "Revealed" books and "Hawaii The Big Island Revealed" comes through. It covers everything you want to know and then some.....even those who have been there may find information they didn't know before.....For the best trip ever.
on January 18, 2010
If you are planning a trip to Hawaii order this book the information is current and well reserched by people who have used the hotels, resturants, plus activities and shopping. It takea couple of weeks to arrive so ordr early.