5.0 out of 5 stars Superb guide book
Published 9 months ago by Leonard Baak

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to date enough for scuba diving
I purchased the book to get an idea of good Dive shops. The dive company I went with, Kona Diving Company was excellent but they weren't even mentioned. They've been around since 2010 and have a high rating with trip advisor.
Published 5 months ago by Ian Wilkinson

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb guide book, Sept. 27 2013
Leonard Baak (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hawaii the Big Island Revealed: The Ultimate Guidebook (Paperback)
I'd purchased the Fodor's and Frommer's guide books on Hawaii, which cover all islands. Andrew Doughty's books were recommended to me by a Hawaiian lady I rented a cottage from. I'd seen them while searching on Amazon, but I thought I could save money by buying the "all island" books instead. Mistake. These island specific books by Doughty are much better than the Fodor's and Frommer's "all island" books in my opinion (I bought Doughty's Big Island and Kauai books). Not that the Fodor's or Frommer's Hawaii books were bad, they were just not nearly as good. Doughty's recommendations helped make for an awesome family vacation on the Big Island and Kauai. His writing is readable and entertaining. We carried the books in the car wherever we went. Each book has an accompanying smart phone app (sold separately for iPhone or Android) that is a great complement to the book. It uses the phone GPS to tell you what is nearby and even shows your exact position when on a hiking trail out of cell phone coverage area! I will be buying his Maui book (and accompanying smart phone app) before I return to Hawaii to visit that island.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to date enough for scuba diving, Feb. 14 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Hawaii guidebook, Jan. 27 2014
Loved the book, came in handy on our trip. Good photos and descriptions of places. We also purchased on the app version to have handy on our iPhone. We used that a lot too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good guide book of the Big Island., Jan. 5 2014
Tim Westwood (Mississauga, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
I liked this and other of the Hawaiian "Revealed" series because it seems to give you information about things that most the locals only know about and are not usually found in most of the other guide books. My main complaint is that I was not crazy about the Kindle version of the book (hard to use the maps and keep track of book marks). The other guide book I thought was very good was the Lonely Planet "Discover Hawaii the Big Island" which I did get in paperback.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent descriptionof the island, Oct. 1 2013
This book provides all the details I was looking for. It will help a lot to experience a great vacation

5.0 out of 5 stars Great travel guide for the Big Island of Hawaii, April 13 2013
Terrific book. This is the second book we have purchased after giving away our first one that is now 4 years old. We bought 2 copies of this latest edition and are giving one to family members who are travelling to the Big Island next year. We will use this new one to search out all the places we missed on our previous 2 trips. There is lots of accurate and detailed info on where to go and what to see. It has become our bible while there and currently plan to spend 6 weeks there this coming winter so will be using the book to plan our next excursion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative, easy to read, interesting guide book, Jan. 11 2013
This guide book was both entertaining and accurate. I found it extremely useful for my trip to Hawaii. The maps are detailed and clear and the descriptions of hikes and other activities was relevant and useful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots to see and do, Jan. 6 2013
William Heath (Comox, British Columbia, CA) - See all my reviews
This book provides very useful information on sights and activities on the diverse island of Hawaii, including ratings of services and their price ranges.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect guidebook !, July 6 2012
perfect guidebook ! for the Perfect destination! everything we needed was in that guidebook, where to stay, what to do, what to eat, where to shop, ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly The ULTIMATE, April 9 2012
Andrew Doughty and the staff at Wizard Publications have done an amazing job with the detail and reserch in this book. Edition 4 was recommended to us at a B&B on the Big Island a couple years ago. When we were planning our trip this year, I simply HAD to buy the latest (6th) Edition a few months ahead of time. I used it to locate sites, accomodations and activities.

The detail and HONESTY of the writers is amazing. They tell you everything - and I mean EVERYTHING you need to know (including a few "true facts" that some {ie: Volcano Park Rangers} might NOT want you to know) and their information is 99% accurate. What isn't in the book is updated regularly on their web-site for changes and revisions. The additional information on the website for accomodations in INCREDIBLE! These folks have REALLY done their homework! I would not go to any other Hawiian Island without first getting their latest on that island.

My only complaint is that they DO NOT have an App on the Google Play Android Store ofr my Transformer TF101 Tablet - it is only on the iPad app store. I hope they do one for Android soon.

Hawaii the Big Island Revealed: The Ultimate Guidebook
Hawaii the Big Island Revealed: The Ultimate Guidebook by Andrew Doughty (Paperback - April 20 2011)
Used & New from: CDN$ 19.12