‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Go to University!, April 22 2009
Ce commentaire est de: Jiu-Jitsu University (Paperback)
So, I just started BJJ and bought this book just recently and I must say that in terms of survival skills and breakdowns of what to expect per (belt level), this book is in a league of its own. Like many reviews, its not about just a bunch of random techniques, but Saulo goes into details about progression and show's the proper way and the incorrect way. A must have. My defense has gotten more solid and more advanced students also will get alot out of this great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Valuable Book for your BJJ Library, March 20 2012
RollanB (Vancouver, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Jiu-Jitsu University (Paperback)
I've been practicing bjj on and off for 2.5 years. I've really enjoyed this book. I find books are more helpful than videos as each technique is broken down frame by frame. The slower nature of reading also gives me time to internalize each concept. Many videos made by bjj champions usually have choppy English, so having a book co-written by a professional writer is a nice change.

I noticed some mistakes in references to images and limb orientation. For example, sentences reference to figures 1 and 2, when they are really 3 and 4. Also getting left and right limbs or directions of movement mixed up. It's a not a big deal, though.

I've been testing the survival and escapes sections of this book, and they have been working well for me. Some of the suggestions Saulo makes are unconventional. It's interesting to see how my training partners react to them.

I think this is a good book to get your fundamentals/high percentage techniques down. The first 100 pages alone have added several tools to my game. I'm sure I'll refer to it many times for the rest of my jj career.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best BJJ Book, Aug. 28 2011
Ce commentaire est de: Jiu-Jitsu University (Paperback)
Saulo's JJ University is THE best book for all levels of BJJ. The way he groups the books into chapters based on belt colour is very intelligent on Howell's part. Saulo focus' on the fundamental's throughout the entire book and ensures the reader uses the most simple movements to accomplish any task. There are too many techniques in the book to count, but I will specifically mention his section on guard passing. It helped my guard passing game tremendously because he shows sequences of passes you can do if your opponent does "this" or "that" to counter your first attempt.

The pictures are perfect in this book. A lot of people worry trying to learn techniques from a book but the pictures do it justice. There are an average of 10-15 photos for each technique alone and 2 pictures per step so you can see different angles. The descriptions for each step as very descriptive and use a language that helps you visualize what you are suppose to be doing with your body throughout the technique.

Saulo also talks about things such as using dead-angles, belt progression, survival, guard passing, sweeping, submissions, submission defense, escapes, using what your opponent gives you, and many more.

Everyone who practices BJJ should have this book. If you don't have it, get it. Almost every BJJ forum and review site recommends this book every time someone asks the "What book to get?" question and for good reason. It is worth every penny so pick it up if you don't have it; you will use it for the rest of your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really helped to tighten my defense, section on "Survival" is a must read for beginners., May 18 2009
G. SORRELL (antarctica) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Jiu-Jitsu University (Paperback)
I bought this book and skimmed thru a few pages, waiting to fully indulge after finishing Mastering the Rubber Guard. However, in Gi class I got sick and tired of getting side mounted and knee-on-belly without a means of consistent escape. I looked up Knee-on-belly escape, went back to side control escape, and just said, "meh, let's goto chapter 1, survival." The defense position for side control Saulo posits not only prevents the crossface, but also knee-on-belly. Perfect. Turning away from a knee-on-belly is a quick, easy, unexpected means of escape that works. The simple things like the scoop and turning to the side/pushing off hips while mounted help keep you alive longer and better situated to escape.

As a beginner, I am very happy I found this book sooner rather than later. It really is a systematic problem solving reference manual. Once you can survive, then learn to escape, how to work the guard afterwards, etc. From a white belt view, I recommend this book for helping tightening up your defense. It is amazing how many more submissions become available when you aren't busy fending them off.

Gotta keep reading...

5.0 out of 5 stars Jiu-Jitsu University, Feb. 10 2012
Ce commentaire est de: Jiu-Jitsu University (Paperback)
As a novice in the art of Jiu Jitsu I found this book to be very instructionale, which was what I was looking for. It exceeded my expectations. Some of the keys are: 1)book is structured in the format of the grading system;
2)sections are successfully preambled and reationalized which supports the learner's purpose and objectives;
3)very nicely illustrated and written in a manner that is easy to follow.
I accept that this book cannot include every conceivable move, defence or submission but I feel it is quite comprehensive. I have been using it in the course of my training and found it very helpful. It's great to have something to refer back to review after a training session.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saulo done good!, June 19 2014
Ce commentaire est de: Jiu-Jitsu University (Paperback)
Admittedly, I bought this book as a novice bjj practitioner and found myself a tad overwhelmed by the level of detail. What I came to appreciate several months later after gaining more experience, was just how informative and helpful this book is in complementing lessons taught on the mat. Saulo's reputation on the mat has transferred itself nicely to the pages of the book. He focuses on basic techniques in a step-by-step fashion with photos taken from two angles for each movement described. I rate this book 5/5 . . . I'd give it a 6 if I could!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Jiu-Jitsu Bible, June 25 2015
Ce commentaire est de: Jiu-Jitsu University (Paperback)
I just started in Jiu-Jitsu, but everyone around me recommended this book and I can clearly see why. It's host to most of the moves that Saulo Ribeiro's actually uses in competition. They're described in well enough detail (sometimes even with solo drills) that I can take what I've learned from the demos and apply it when rolling the next day. If you're new or old to Jiu-Jitsu, I can't see this ever being a book that you regret buying. Buy with confidence.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, March 23 2011
Ce commentaire est de: Jiu-Jitsu University (Paperback)
this book is different from other Brazilian Jiu Jitsu books as it demonstrates both correct and incorrect techniques. love it

5.0 out of 5 stars So clear, Oct. 24 2013
Ce commentaire est de: Jiu-Jitsu University (Paperback)
I really appreciate this book now that I have some years of BJJ experience, since it clearly conveys the most common BJJ concepts. The pictures are matched extremely well with descriptions of what's going on, and are all prefaced with a written context. It really makes learning BJJ easier, like giving you the basic framework plus the common quirks and nuances for each position/concept.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best BJJ Books out there, April 2 2013
Ce commentaire est de: Jiu-Jitsu University (Paperback)
Jiu-Jitsu university covers the fundamentals of BJJ with fundamental movements, escapes, the basic sweeps and counters and a few submissions.

With DVD's making most books obsolete, Jiu-Jitsu University remains a sure bet and I constantly find myself going back to this book looking at techniques I should integrate into my game.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Jiu-Jitsu University
Jiu-Jitsu University by Kevin Howell (Paperback - Nov. 17 2008)
CDN$ 46.95 CDN$ 30.02