‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Go to University!, April 22 2009
This review is from: Jiu-Jitsu University (Paperback)
So, I just started BJJ and bought this book just recently and I must say that in terms of survival skills and breakdowns of what to expect per (belt level), this book is in a league of its own. Like many reviews, its not about just a bunch of random techniques, but Saulo goes into details about progression and show's the proper way and the incorrect way. A must have. My defense has gotten more solid and more advanced students also will get alot out of this great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really helped to tighten my defense, section on "Survival" is a must read for beginners., May 18 2009
G. SORRELL (antarctica) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jiu-Jitsu University (Paperback)
I bought this book and skimmed thru a few pages, waiting to fully indulge after finishing Mastering the Rubber Guard. However, in Gi class I got sick and tired of getting side mounted and knee-on-belly without a means of consistent escape. I looked up Knee-on-belly escape, went back to side control escape, and just said, "meh, let's goto chapter 1, survival." The defense position for side control Saulo posits not only prevents the crossface, but also knee-on-belly. Perfect. Turning away from a knee-on-belly is a quick, easy, unexpected means of escape that works. The simple things like the scoop and turning to the side/pushing off hips while mounted help keep you alive longer and better situated to escape.

As a beginner, I am very happy I found this book sooner rather than later. It really is a systematic problem solving reference manual. Once you can survive, then learn to escape, how to work the guard afterwards, etc. From a white belt view, I recommend this book for helping tightening up your defense. It is amazing how many more submissions become available when you aren't busy fending them off.

Gotta keep reading...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for fundamentals for beginners, June 24 2014
This review is from: Jiu-Jitsu University (Paperback)
I got this book when I started, and found that it helped make a lot of sense about what was going on when on the mats. A good supplement to classes, provides some nice concepts, and once a person is more comfortable on the mats, has some good detail on execution of technique.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saulo done good!, June 19 2014
This review is from: Jiu-Jitsu University (Paperback)
Admittedly, I bought this book as a novice bjj practitioner and found myself a tad overwhelmed by the level of detail. What I came to appreciate several months later after gaining more experience, was just how informative and helpful this book is in complementing lessons taught on the mat. Saulo's reputation on the mat has transferred itself nicely to the pages of the book. He focuses on basic techniques in a step-by-step fashion with photos taken from two angles for each movement described. I rate this book 5/5 . . . I'd give it a 6 if I could!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent BOok, May 16 2014
This review is from: Jiu-Jitsu University (Paperback)
This really good book every detail and common mistake people do outline pretty clearly and they give you the solo drill as well. and step by step from white belt through black belt

Recommended One

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Insrtuctional, Oct. 25 2013
This review is from: Jiu-Jitsu University (Paperback)
Excellent book for studing moves which provides pictures in detail sometimes with multiple angles. Excellent white and blue belt stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars So clear, Oct. 24 2013
This review is from: Jiu-Jitsu University (Paperback)
I really appreciate this book now that I have some years of BJJ experience, since it clearly conveys the most common BJJ concepts. The pictures are matched extremely well with descriptions of what's going on, and are all prefaced with a written context. It really makes learning BJJ easier, like giving you the basic framework plus the common quirks and nuances for each position/concept.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, Sept. 19 2013
Julie Adams (Montreal, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jiu-Jitsu University (Paperback)
Incredibly helpful with technique in jiujitsu. Just as good for beginners or veterans. This book will follow me through my training for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best BJJ Books out there, April 2 2013
This review is from: Jiu-Jitsu University (Paperback)
Jiu-Jitsu university covers the fundamentals of BJJ with fundamental movements, escapes, the basic sweeps and counters and a few submissions.

With DVD's making most books obsolete, Jiu-Jitsu University remains a sure bet and I constantly find myself going back to this book looking at techniques I should integrate into my game.

5.0 out of 5 stars great jiu jitsu book., March 14 2013
This review is from: Jiu-Jitsu University (Paperback)
Saulo Ribeiro is one of the top Jiu Jitsu masters of our day. Anyone can learn from reading through this book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Jiu-Jitsu University
Jiu-Jitsu University by Kevin Howell (Paperback - Nov. 17 2008)
CDN$ 46.95 CDN$ 29.43