Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Countdown to Black Friday in Lawn & Garden

on March 8, 2010
God only knows why is that some people have to face ordeals like the one Theresa L. Flores came upon when she was only 15 years old. Some years ago, I left my young daughters (10 and 12 y/o) at a Vegas' mall for 5, 10 minutes (big mistake!) seating in the middle of the hall, in front of the Macy's entrance, among all the high class, suburban families shopping there (what could go wrong? right?) while I was going to pick up some purchases; when I came back, they told me about a couple of very strange young men looking at them and who after murmuring for a while just left; even though I didn't like it at all and knew it was very wrong, I didn't understand the real threat such an event can represent until I read Theresa's events.

Hers is a very touching story of suffering no doubt, but at the same time of strength, endurance and commitment to life. An eye opener for those who believe that "these things happen to other people" or "in other countries than the USA".

Not only the book is masterfully organized, it is also very friendly to read; I read it in less than 48 hours... I couldn't stop reading actually!

Five stars (and hats off!) for Theresa, hoping that she keeps up enlightening the world for many years to come.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon February 6, 2015
This is not a book to read to enjoy. It is rather a book to read to educate oneself. I started reading it at night and confess that I had trouble sleeping at all. The book is part memoir and part almost a text to train people as to what to look out for and how to help those in need. It is horrible that the author had to live through this at any age let alone when she was fifteen. Some reviewers have questioned her story, but to me it was completely believable and although it happened over 25 years ago I believe it could and probably is still happening today.The writing is not perfect. There are the occasional incorrect choice of words (eg. stocking instead of stalking)but this book has such a powerful voice that it took little away from it for me. For the author, this book was part of her healing and I give her 5 stars for that. This book should have a strong trigger warning for those who have suffered from sexual abuse but if you want to educate yourself, it is a reasonable and fairly speedy read.
on April 21, 2015
I feel like parts of this story are a bit embellished. Sorry. Clearly I have no proof of that but the whole book seemed a bit questionable. Not that I don't sympathize or believe a normal teen from a well off family could become a sex slave.. but (for one thing) why would she not try to help the other girls that fell into these people's trap by naming them to the police...even years later. And getting into cars with dangerous people just because they have "photos" seems ridiculous to me. Especially if her parent were as "loving" as she says they were. Id take a disappointed father over a gang rape any day. Sorry if this sounds harsh and I obviously wasnt there and do have empathy for a person in this situation, but its just the things I thought while reading that kept me from "liking" the book.

Also the last half was just too preachy and repetitive and sounded like she was trying to convince her readers it REALLY happened.
on November 2, 2015
While I am enjoying the story and my heart goes out to her because of the predicament in which she is trapped by circumstance, I do find the writing doesn't draw me in as emotionally as it could. It is seems as though the author has stepped back and removed herself emotionally from the content of what she is writing, creating a disconnect from it. Perhaps she had to do this to even be able to put this experience on paper. Unfortunately that keeps the reader disconnected from it as well. I think this is a valuable story that needs to be told so people become more aware of the dangers and of the signs, but it would be more impactful if it drew the reader into the reality a little more.
on May 28, 2015
Thank you Theresa for sharing your story!
I do know that human trafficking is alive in
North America, but never heard or read a
Personal story!
on September 18, 2013
It was good. Sad to see what some people go through in life. Puts things in perspective! It is a good read if you like true crimes.