5.0 out of 5 stars An easy entrypoint into ultimate health
Published on Oct. 4 2010 by Trent W Sehlstrom

3.0 out of 5 stars There are better books out there for this
I really wanted to like this book. I totally believe in the Paleo way of eating and living, but it feels as though Wolf pushed this to print before it was really ready. I will try to be fair and as balanced as I can be.

Published on Jan. 13 2011 by B. French

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An easy entrypoint into ultimate health, Oct. 4 2010
This review is from: The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet (Hardcover)
Robb Wolf's "The Paleo Solution" is a funny and informative read into the latest "fad" for dieting, although a fad thousands of years old. The paleo diet, or caveman eating, is gaining tremendous popularity with athletes, and new research is proving that the methods with this, the simplest "diet" imaginable, have shown results with decreasing auto-immune diseases (diabetes,cancer, etc.), as well as demonstrating unparalleled weight loss and body composition outcomes. Having attended Robb's seminar previously, it was great to find that he continues to discuss the science behind Paleo-nutrition with plenty of humor and with the ability for any reader to easily understand. The prevalance of grain-based products in our diets have seen a dramatic increase in health issues and Robb easily defines what grains, specifically gluten, is doing to our society. For anyone dealing with any sort of health issues or looking for a truly simple means of weight loss and increasing overall health, "The Paleo Solution" is a must to own.

3.0 out of 5 stars There are better books out there for this, Jan. 13 2011
B. French - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet (Hardcover)

I enjoyed the information on digestion and the science behind the metabolism of grains, fats, etc. Most of this I already knew, but Wolf had a good approach to the material that offered me some new information. I also found good information on exercise and why it was crucial. I enjoyed the science in these chapters; Wolf has obviously done his homework and was willing to share it, here.

However, several times I was frustrated because he refers to things he "covers later" and never talks about again. There is no index, either, so finding information afterwards is very difficult. After explaining why grains were a bad idea for the body, he mentions that dairy should be avoided, too, but he does not do the work to explain why, which I found sloppy on his part.

The tone of the book could be considered 'fun', I guess, if you don't mind being treated like a silly girl ("Buttercup") who doesn't know much and has no desire to learn anything more. I like to do research and use my brain, though, so I admit I was annoyed at times with his writing style.

The section on physical training could have been better organized; the material could be offered more clearly for those who have not worked out with weights before. It focuses quite well on those who have been sedentary, which I thought was good, but these people may have lots of questions afterwards.

In short, there was some good information here but I think there was more work to do on this book before it went to press. Hopefully a newer edition will be born from this effort. I would suggest Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint for a very thorough and informative take on the Paleo lifestyle.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Marriage of the theory of evolution to human nutrition, Sept. 22 2010
This review is from: The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet (Hardcover)
It may say DIET in bold type on the cover but this is no diet, this is our lost lifestyle summed up.

The connections made by Mr. Wolf in "The Paleo Solution" are staggering.
Diabetes, Heart Disease, Stroke, Cancer, MS, Rheumatoid Arthritis- to name only a few, are all hugely collative with elevated insulin levels and chronic systemic inflammation.
What are the root causes of these two conditions you ask?

Eating-
Grains
Legumes
Dairy

Most modern folks don't even know what it feels like to be healthy. It is shocking to think our governments have been directing us down a path of sickness and pain, wow.

Buy this book.

About Me:
I started eating strict Paleo 6 weeks ago.
I've lost 20 lbs. in this time (285 down to 265)
I have way more energy than before.
I have WAY more libido, which me AND my wife love.
I have a stable mood now.
I'm stronger.
I don't crave sugar like it was crack anymore(this is sooooo amazing, I had the biggest sweet tooth, ever.)
I don't have a constantly runny nose anymore.
I don't have "bumps" on my scalp anymore.
I don't have nearly as much acne as I used to.

As you can tell, I was in quite a bad state just 6 weeks ago, and now I feel amazing.
If you're suffering from low energy/ skin conditions/ obesity- you've got to try this book, it will literally change your life, for the better.
Cheers everyone, I wish you all the best on your journeys of self healing.

5.0 out of 5 stars The last "diet" book you will EVER need, Sept. 21 2010
This review is from: The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet (Hardcover)
"The Paleo Solution" by Robb Wolf is the last "diet" book you will ever need to buy. I say that because this book will truly change your eating habits and ultimately your life. Robb teaches you why certain foods are bad for you and he breaks down some very technical information and makes it easy to digest. (no pun intended) This information arms you with the knowledge you need to make good, informed decisions about your food. We have been misguided by the nutrition powers that be in the media and the government and almost everything we thought to be true about nutrition has been wrong. This book rights that wrong. This book empowers you to make food choices that ultimately prevent disease, help you age gracefully, and promote a healthier, better quality of life. He gives you the information and leaves the ball in your court. Do you want to "look, feel and perform" better? If so, try eating Paleo for 30 days. You will not want to go back! This book will be required reading for our gym members looking to improve their nutrition. It has the ability to change lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, May 31 2014
This review is from: The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet (Hardcover)
Lots of good information with an easy to read format, rob has made it light hearted yet gets his message across and holds your attention. The book is very informative especially for a newbie wanting to change their eating lifestyle. I also bought paleo code, which I found a heavier read comparatively. This would be the book to buy whether you are thinking of changing your diet lifestyle or you are already following the paleo way of life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Paleo is definitely a different lifestyle!, Jan. 4 2011
This review is from: The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet (Hardcover)
This book was an interesting read. Definitely like a biology lesson in the beginning but he does interject humor into it making the read a bit lighter. Have to read it more than once too as there is a ton of information to absorb. One thing I did notice, there were some contradictions with Loren Cordain's cookbook. Robb has a recipe for roasted green beans, for example, and Mr. Cordain says it should not be on the "do eat" list. Also, earlier in Robb's book it mentions getting rid of all the non-Paleo foods in your house (to which he includes applesauce and mustard I believe) but in his recipes, he uses unsweetened applesauce (I am assuming he means from scratch?) and Dijon mustard (?). ANYWAY, it's a good read. Definitely points out a lot of facts that many of us are unaware of but all with a comical twist. I couldn't put the book down!

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, coherent, enlightening, Oct. 10 2010
Stan Marsh (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet (Hardcover)
This is by far the most accessible book written about paleolithic nutrition. It is humurous, fun to read, and breaks things down for the non-scientist making the technical aspects easy to understand. For the more technically minded it also includes a list of references in the back for further research and learning. It is also highly based on scientific research, unlike nearly all other diet books, which lends some weight to the claims and recommendations. Overall it is by far the best book on paleolithic nutrition for the layman and those who simply just want to know how to avoid/reverse disease.

For those looking for a highly technical book with over 2000 studies referenced, I also recommend Staffan Lindeberg's "Food and Western Disease"

5.0 out of 5 stars A must own., June 4 2012
This review is from: The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet (Hardcover)
Robb has an amazing writing style and will not let you put this book down...even when he gets into the "sciency" stuff. I am a total convert to Paleo living and have been for roughly 3 years now. I highly recommend Robb's book to anyone. It is perfect for beginners.

Very entertaining and very informative with some well drawn out practical applications of eating how we were meant to eat.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Paleo Solution: A Miracle of Uncommon Sense!, March 25 2011
This review is from: The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet (Hardcover)
Robb Wolf has written a handbook for living as we are designed to live. He is a superb writer; every page is at once both humorous and informative, and the book is as clear and well-organised as his thinking. To call this a "page turner" is an understatement; it's more of a handbook of health which you will constantly consult and re-read.

Following the diet allows you to eat until you are full -- of the foods which we were designed to eat -- while losing fat steadily. I lost 14 pounds from my waist in as many weeks. Following the advice about rest and exercise, et cetera, will give you renewed youthful strength and energy, too!

I bought copies for my friends and you will likely do the same. This is the best thing ever written about the paleolithic diet and lifestyle. I recommend it to all, regardless of age or (starting) health condition. It will prolong and enrich your life if you follow its rational, logical advice. I am 62 years old and have benefitted from this greatly; I only wish this information and very un-common sense had been around when I was young.

5.0 out of 5 stars Robb Wolf, Paleo Solution, Oct. 31 2010
This review is from: The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet (Hardcover)
I have read many books on this subject and this is the best and most clear cut I have read to date. I recommend it as a starting point for anyone who wants to make a change in their lifestyle and become more healthy along the way. Wolf is very knowledgable and relays the information in a humourous way which keeps the reader interested in the subject at hand. Not everyone I know likes the science behind the method and Wolf gives the reader a choice to cut right to the chase or get more indepth and "sciency" This book is a must and is a gift of knowledge for those who get the chance to read it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet
The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet by Robb Wolf (Hardcover - Sept. 14 2010)
CDN$ 29.50 CDN$ 18.50