4.0 out of 5 stars Living With Less
Published on Dec 24 2011 by Ian Gordon Malcomson

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent little workbook.
I got more out of the philosophy than the room by room. There's a decided slant toward female readers, and a mildly annoying tendency to over-anthropomorphize 'stuff' (in the way it "creeps, hides, multiplies" etc), but otherwise, decent.
Published on May 3 2011 by Marty

4.0 out of 5 stars Living With Less, Dec 24 2011
Ian Gordon Malcomson (Victoria, BC) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Joy of Less, a Minimalist Living Guide: How to Declutter, Organize, and Simplify Your Life (Paperback)
I find Francine Jay's "The Joy of Less" to be an indispensable tool for anyone thinking of seriously downsizing the stuff in their lives. It provides articulate discussion of various definitions of what has traditionally become known as stuff, rationalizes reasons for getting rid of it, and offers plans for removing unwanted possessions. The process of acquiring a simpler lifestyle that is less encumbered is not an easy one. As Jay points out, it starts with developing a mindset that recognizes the need for significant change. Her acrostic `STREAMLINE' offers a number of practical criteria for making it happen. For example, one thing goes out for everything that comes in. Also, we must be ready to identify the real function of what we own. An inventory of this score will eliminate the articles that gather dust and have mere sentimental value. To really get down to the nitty-gritties of chucking out, Jay takes her readers through a room-by-room survey of what a workable plan might look like. In the end, the rewards for clearing the proverbial stable are immense: the freeing up of space, money and time. As one who has recently, with the help and direction of my wife, downsized in preparation for a move into a smaller living space, all of what Jay says here makes sense. There are numerous ways to get rid of things that threaten to choke off our very existences, and Jay's book is a good place to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars Living with Less, Feb. 7 2011
Anum (Waterloo, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
This is a great book if you've just tapped into what minimalism is. Francine does an amazing job explaining why this isn't a 'fad', but rather an ideology that is an important factor in achieving harmony and figuring out who we are and what we want to become. In her book, Francine covers all the basics: seeing stuff for what it is, the benefits of removing unnecessary clutter from our lives (both physical and emotional), and the steps to take in order to make it happen. As an author, Francine is incredibly accessible (at [...]) and makes the idea of minimalism appealing and beneficial to undertake.

5.0 out of 5 stars joy oh joy, Jan. 12 2011
Well I started to read this book just before Christmas and I could not put it down. The book spoke to me! I started using the philosophy before I even finished the book! My family thinks I am crazy, but I truly feel that the book makes sense. The book is very clear and well written and most of all motivating! I would recommend it to anyone. In fact, I have a wait list of friends who want to read it too....

5.0 out of 5 stars The Joy of Less - great motivator to get you moving!!!, Sept. 29 2012
The Joy of Less is an awesome read, great motivator to get you to not only get moving but also the motivation to re-think your stuff.
Decluttering is one thing, but when I read to make a list of every single item in your home, from the package of toothpicks, list of items in your junk drawer, etc., it really puts into prospective what does and doesn't matters, and get you to move it on out.
Well worth the read and an awesome Christmas gift for everyone on your shopping list.
Highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars insightful, Sept. 1 2012
I found this book very helpfully, bringing up many things I had not thought on my own. Also it was very inspiring and pushed me to be able to let go of so many things and feel better. Iv'e suggested it to many people and I have my brother and friend fighting over who is to get it next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very inspiring!, Jan. 28 2014
This book opened my eyes to my own instinct. I had trouble with clutter for years, and I now thing the reason for it is that I really want to live with very little and don't know what to do with all the excess. Now I know and am dealing with it, thanks to this book. Brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars In-depth decluttering, June 5 2014
Awesome book. Great for opening up and clearing out the gunky stuff filled living spaces to make them a pleasure to be in. Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book!, Jan. 19 2014
This book is amazing. I think everyone should read this as it helps put everything in perspective. It's definitely a life changer!

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good book!, Oct. 3 2013
Francine Jay write in a way that is easy to understand. She knows what she's talking about...
As I read the book, I put in practice what I learn. So, it was just the book I needed to continue organizing my many things that have been accumulating in our house for the last 36 years...
I truly believe that the less things you have the better.

I wish to say ''Thank you very much'' to the author, Francine Jay, for writing this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Aug. 23 2013
Well written and put together, very motivating and inspiring. A very inspiring book to help change personal habit for a better way of living.

CDN$ 14.08