5.0 out of 5 stars Gripped me right away, powerful and passionate, recommended, Jan. 22 2010
Betty Gelean "nightreader" (Smithers, BC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Conquer All Obstacles (Paperback)
A complicated yet cohesive story that takes the reader through such obstacles as mental health, low self esteem, wrong priorities, abuse, and more. These do not overwhelm the reader by all applying to the same person, but the book most certainly shows us the law of six degrees of separation and how it does or can play out in our lives. The need to be in contact with ourselves and those closest to us is a strong theme.

Jo-Anne Vandermeulen has captured life trapped within the minds of mental health and how very hard it is to see the warning signs in many cases. She has delved into the core of situations that can affect us adversely or bring such cases to light. Though a novel, it is so close to truth that it could easily be a collection of biographies. The book is centered around the separate yet somehow closely woven lives of 12 individuals, some with obstacles and some on the outskirts affected by those obstacles of others.

The book is very interesting and suspenseful, and representative of many lost souls who are unable to recognize their own needs. It covers a time period of just 7 months, jam-packed with action and reaction. This book is not necessarily morose, it does have its lighter, happier moments. It shows how there can be weakness in the strong and strength in the weak. Powerful and passionate, I think this is a wonderfully written book, it gripped me right away and kept me reading into the night. I am so glad I had an opportunity to read it, and highly recommend it. A must-read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Conquer All Obstacles, Feb. 21 2010
Janice Hilts (Lethbridge, AB Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Conquer All Obstacles (Paperback)
Conquer All Obstacles is a well written fictional romance with a suspenseful twist. I thouroughly enjoyed reading this book right from the first few pages. Once I started reading I didn't want to put it down.
Growing up in small town Saskatchewan myself, I could instantly relate to the characters and got quite a chuckle out of some memories that would pop up as I was reading.
On the more serious side of things, this book takes you on an emotional ride. You are instantly drawn into the lives of the characters as the book delves into the topics of mental illness and violence towards women. Tara Robstead struggles with not really knowing whether she wants to live or die after a completely traumatic experience pushes her into a traumatic induced coma. The love of her life goes through ups and downs of his own only to discover himself that he needs to face the demons in his life to move on and discover true love is right under his nose. But, will he come to this realization in time to save Tara?
I guarantee once you start reading this book, you will be drawn in as I was and you will want to read late into the night to finish it! I highly recommmend this book. A great read! Jo-Anne Vandermeulen has a great career ahead of her and I cannot wait to read her next book!

Conquer All Obstacles
Conquer All Obstacles by Jo-Anne Vandermeulen (Hardcover - Sept. 25 2009)
CDN$ 30.57