4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully irregular, Oct. 21 2010
This review is from: Marvellous Hairy (Paperback)
Not knowing what to expect when I opened the novel, I thought it would be hard to find surprise; I could not have been more wrong. The book jumps at a quick pace between plot lines and sub-plots. It was almost enough to make me need a rest to breathe after some chapters, but it was thoroughly enjoyable nonetheless.

The story is very engaging, and the characters have a feel almost real enough to think that the author was simply transcribing them from people he knows. The plot, however, puts any thoughts of 'reality' to rest. Based in a believable setting but with unbelievable science (much of the fun!), the book makes for an entertaining read.

It's not a difficult read, so don't be scared by its off-beat subject matter or dialogue (particularly Tundra's...). Go and get a copy!

4.0 out of 5 stars `Release your inner monkey.', Aug. 2 2010
This review is from: Marvellous Hairy (Paperback)
I've just finished this gallimaufry of a novel. At times and in differing degrees `Marvellous Hairy' is confused, funny, outrageous, and strident. Our narrator, Robbie Goodman, is frequently overwhelmed by the cacophonous voices of his fellow travellers, and I sometimes couldn't be sure who was telling me what. Did it matter? Not really: there is only one destination for this novel and readers will arrive there, or they won't.

I have mixed feelings about this novel: at times the action was overwhelmed by dialogue and description. The various elements of the story, believable, unbelievable and sometimes just bizarre fit together well and make their own form of sense. Following Nick Motbot's evolution, seeing the various bad guys get their comeuppance while the good guys get their just rewards is entertaining. It's not all comic relief, there are some serious issues as well: just ask Nick Motbot about his inner monkey.

But be warned. This is not a linear narrative and unless you are willing to laugh at the ridiculous and are tolerant of the silly this may not be a book for you. Some days, I'm quite sure, it wouldn't be a book for me.

`Hey, I said this wasn't a classy story.'

Jennifer Cameron-Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars Satiric sci-fi, Dec 22 2010
This review is from: Marvellous Hairy (Paperback)
Fans of Phillip K. Dick or Phillip Jose Farmer should definitely check out this book. Always vibrant, often hilarious and profane (even a little dirty at times), the novel is a brisk, enjoyable read. While the plot is outlandish and absurd, the characters - particularly the narrator - keep the story grounded. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars A wild and wacky ride, April 22 2011
S. D. Ramsey "wordsmith101" (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Marvellous Hairy (Paperback)
I knew I wanted to read this book when I heard the author read from it at WorldCon in Montreal. For one thing, the section he read from was set in a drugstore. Now, my husband is a pharmacist, and believe me, the vast comedic possibilities of drugstores are a gold mine most satire and humour writers seem to miss. The fact that Mark Rayner had recognized this made me respect him instantly. The reading only got better from there, by turns funny, absurd, and poignant, and I knew I wanted to know more.

I wasn't disppointed. This book is not going to be for everyone; you have to be open to the surreal, the absurd, and alarmingly incisive reflections of the corporate world, and be able to laugh at them all. Don't pick it up if you're opposed to some...er...ribaldry (let's just say I haven't lent this book to my mother or my 16-year-old daughter), or if you dislike reading about monkeys, lizards, cross-species genetic manuipulation, ghosts, corporate greed, or chaos theory.

However, if you do like the things listed above, as well as absurdist humour, fast-paced writing, clever wit, mockery of institutions, a bit of slap-and-tickle, loyalty, love, and a chronicling of the gradual descent from human to simian brain, then you should really enjoy Marvellous Hairy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Marvelous, June 3 2012
This review is from: Marvellous Hairy (Paperback)
Marvellous Hairy is a wonderfully written tale that engrosses you from beginning to end. Rayner throws a lot at you, packing the story with characters, subplots, and information, but does so tastefully. Instead of being overwhelmed, I was just captivated with Rayner's writing.

Rayner packs in the characters in this novel, but gives the reader a guide as to who everyone is at the beginning. Much like a Shakespearean play, which I reckon Rayner pulled a lot of inspiration from, a list of characters is provided to remind the reader who everyone is and their relation to each other. I was especially thankful for this, as I could follow the novel perfectly without getting confused.

The novel is entertaining and witty, but with the additional themes of the strength of friendship and the dangers of corporate greed, among others. The comedy and serious parts balance each other out and contribute to an overall great piece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Far Out and Fun Read, Feb. 3 2012
James A. Anderson "Author" (London, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Marvellous Hairy (Paperback)
Want a far out, fun read? Then try MARVELLOUS HAIRY by Mark Rayner.

With my warped, sense of humour I loved this book. What a refreshing change from my usual fare.

Rayner has an astonishing cast of characters -- ghosts, greedy CEOs, drug dealers, wacky novelists, all sorts of weird people. The book is an amazing satire of evil corporate greed with some really hilarious scenes -- my favourite was the chaotic wedding early in the book with monkeys running amok. Sounds like more fun than some of the weddings I've attended.

Rayner's writing style is out there and will not be to everybody's taste. It's a book you'll either love or hate -- no middle ground here. But if you liked Monty Python, this will be right up your alley. His style is evocative of the late Kurt Vonnegut. Rayner is a highly talented writer with something to say.

Read MARVELLOUS HAIRY.....and discover your inner monkey!

Marvellous Hairy
Marvellous Hairy by Mark A. Rayner (Paperback - July 20 2010)
CDN$ 14.84