Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Countdown to Cyber Monday in Lawn & Garden

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(5 star).Show all reviews
on February 2, 2012
Growing up in the 60's and 70's Bobby Hull was the man ..... he was my boyhood idol .... I followed this man's career to the end and this book helped fill in a few areas that I was unaware of. It is written brutally honest and accurate .... even though there are a few typo errors in the book it is a overall must read for any Bobby Hull fan ! Every Professional hockey player that has played after Bobby Hull, should pay their dues for what he accomplished, he was indeed the Micky Mantle of hockey!

Neil Abday
Williams Lake, BC
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 14, 2015
This book is not perfect by any means, but I very much enjoyed it and give it full marks.

I have always wondered why Bobby Hull ended up as one of hockey's greatest players who is not celebrated by the NHL, and this book answered many of my questions. I grew up in Montreal of the 1970's and we had Jean Beliveau as the quintessential hockey gentleman (and what a great man he is, as anybody who met him will attest to. My dad, a hard man, met him and thought the world of him.)

Bobby Hull is no Beliveau. He is a flawed man who happened to be a great hockey player. The book portrays many of his shortcomings and warts, but as one reviewer notes, come up a little short with hard (or ugly) facts and criticism. I found that this just made Hull out to be pathetic more than he was bad or mean.

This book is about his personal life, but also does a pretty good job arguing that Hull is perhaps the most important player in professional hockey history for what he accomplished off the ice. He was the player who changed the game, and made a lot of enemies doing so. Sure, somebody would have eventually changed the game, but he is that man (tho a case could be made for Bobby Orr.)

And he might not have killed anybody (as a reviewer notes) but he sure beat some people senseless. The Reg Fleming fight chapter of the book is quite revealing.

If you have ever wondered about the Bobby Hull phenomenon, and I guess many people don't given what little attention is paid to him, then this is your book. It is generally well written and informative, and certainly has a well argued revisionist tone. I found it second hand and probably wouldn't have bought it new, but am very glad I read it. Time well wasted.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse