countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Pets All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

on February 16, 2013
As someone anticipating retirement within 5-7years, I felt that the author's perspective was presented in a very objective, practical and balanced manner. The data was extremely interesting and validated the writer's viewpoint, and was written in laypersons terms. I would reccommend this as a very worthwhile book for anyone planning retirement, and as important food for thought for those over 30 who have not started to consider retirement planning. (Also a good read for many of the Financial Planners that I have encountered over the years)
on June 28, 2016
I have plans to retire in the next 3-5 years. I have spent a fair bit of time reading books and blogs to make sure I have what I need to make the move to the retirement life. Most of my reading pushes the hype of insisting that you will need 70% plus of your pre-retirement income. I know many folks who are retired and they all agree that 70% is really high (unless you plan on upgrading your lifestyle). This book takes a much more practical view. Chapters explain where retirement income will come from (CPP, OAS, and RRSP etc.). It explains why freedom 55 might not be for most people. The author does a good job of helping folks to look at their own situation and apply some simple tools to making those crucial decisions. Lots of examples help as well. Well worth the price!
on January 11, 2013
The first realistic thoughts on retirement I have read. He deals with both the emotional and financial issues. A very balanced evaluation.
on January 31, 2015
This is 'the' book to buy! If you are Canadian and are looking for the best book on the market to help you understand retirement in Canada and what it actually takes to retire then you cannot pass up on this book. I had originally thought of retiring around the 60 - 62 year time frame but quickly realized after reading this book that I could, and I actually did, retire at 58. Yes 58 and still maintain the lifestyle that my wife and I enjoy as well as incorporate some travelling.

The book clearly and in a very straightforward manner describes all the aspects of retirement from contributions by the government (CPP and OAS) to what most corporate plans (Defined Benefit, Defined Contribution, etc.) provide and finally what you really need to save to supplement this so that you can cover your actual consumption requirements in retirement.

I still reference the book from time to time as I continue to enjoy retirement.
on July 22, 2014
Lots of good information here. Wish they would have discussed options for people who won't have their mortgage paid off before they retire, which is the reality for a lot of us. Of course we will just likely work longer.
on January 23, 2015
Of course nothing in life is certain but the information in this book can give Canadian pre-retirees some assurances that their retirement, at the very least, will not consist of living in a banana box and eating dog food.
The four pillar analogy is helpful in understanding the revenue streams that will fund the Canadian retirement.
on June 14, 2014
This book does not simply regurgitate the cliches and formulas that are the filler of other retirement financial books. It utilizes hard data to guide the reader through the financial realities of "real retirement", and develops useful approaches to help the reader plan their own retirement finances.
on October 20, 2014
Having recently retired (at an early age of mid 50's) I had planned extensively over the last few years. I bought this book as a check to see if I was missing anything. Overall it was a great review for me, and I found it insightful. I'd recommend it for others in the planning stages.
on December 26, 2013
This is a awesome read. Simple but effective viewpoint on retirement. Would highly recommend this book to all those wishing to retire now.
on April 18, 2016
Clear, concise explanations with concrete examples and numbers. this guide demystified retirement!