I was curious to see how this book would turn out. Trolls were a new one for me. I've also heard many good things about author Amanda Hocking - so when I started the book I was expecting it to be good and at first I was disappointed.

Published on Jan. 3 2012 by Fantasys Ink

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Premise
SWITCHED (Trylle Series #1) by Amanda Hocking

Published 20 months ago by Sandy S.

4.0 out of 5 stars definitely went in the right direction for me and I'm looking forward to the next, Jan. 3 2012
Fantasys Ink (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Switched (Paperback)

In the first few chapters I thought Wendy came off as nothing but a brat really and the story was a bit bland but after about three chapters it became more interesting and I got caught up in the story. My earlier impressions of Wendy were misplaced and she grew to be a more lovable character but at times I still felt she was causing unnecessary pain to her brother and aunt.

Still, as I said the story caught me and I was brimming with questions and excitement as I read about the troll society. The story was well done and it didn't feel slow like it did in the beginning but rather every chapter was thrilling to read about. I really enjoyed meeting the characters and seeing how they interact. Finn, Willa, and Tove grew on me even the cold Elora.

The abilities of the Trylle (trolls) were interesting and I wished we could have learned more about Wendy's powers but I suppose that's another thing to look forward to in the next book. I also wanted to learn more about the kingdom of the Trylle, what's threatening it and it's politics (never thought I'd be saying that!). The new re-published St. Martin's edition also had a short story that's never been published called 'The Vittra Attacks' set within the world. I'm wondering how the characters that I saw in them will play a role in the next book. It was four chapters long and interesting to read.

I believe the many great things said about Hocking's stories are well deserved. This book definitely went in the right direction for me and I'm looking forward to the next book in the series as well as any other books by Amanda Hocking - her book Wake, to be released in the summer 2012 particularly sounds interesting. With it's exciting story, romance and a small kingdom full of plots and secrets - I'm sure that's it's a story that will leave you caught and wanting more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Switched, Aug. 20 2013
This review is from: Switched (Paperback)
This was the other birthday gift for my 14 year-old grand-daughter. It, too, was read within a few days and then, as is her custom, she reread the book before passing the book on to her grandmother for assessment...

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Premise, Aug. 5 2012
Sandy S. (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Switched (Hardcover)
SWITCHED (Trylle Series #1) by Amanda Hocking

SWITCHED is the first novel in Amanda Hocking's Young Adult Trylle series. Originally self-published, the Trylle trilogy has put Amanda Hocking of the best-seller's lists. I am not quite sure of the genre, but I would place it in a combination of fantasy and a little urban fantasy-but very little. Although the heroine is not out to save the world, she must save the Trylle.

17 year old Wendy Everly has always felt unloved and unwanted: that she didn't belong. It doesn't' help that her mother tried to kill her on her 6th birthday or that through most of her early childhood she was told that she was switched at birth and killed her own brother. And with her ability to 'persuade' others, she knew that somehow she was different. But discovering you WERE switched at birth, puts a whole new perspective on her mother's delirium and accusations. Wendy is not human-she is a Trylle.

As a tracker and protector, it is Finn Holmes' duty to find the missing changelings-those children switched at birth with a human infant-a mansklig. And finding Wendy is easy. As the daughter of the Trylle Queen, Wendy must return to Forening and take her position in the hierarchy of the monarchy of the Trolls-yes-the Trylle are a tribe in the supernatural world of Trolls. Not the Brothers' Grimm ugly old troll who lived under the bridge, but a race/a being of beauty gifted with special abilities and powers. But there is another tribe on the hunt for Wendy, and the Vittra did not want Wendy to ascend to the throne-it is her powers that they required.

Meeting her birth mother for the first time, Wendy is shocked to learn Elora is the Queen. Birth order not withstanding, the Queen is distant upon meeting her only child and daughter for the first time in 17 years. I felt no sympathy for a mother whose heart is solid ice. Cold, aloof and very powerful, Elora's goal is to see that her daughter is properly trained in the ways of a princess, and most of those responsibilities fell upon Finn including preparing her for her christening and coming out ceremony. But Wendy's confusion only increases with every question left unanswered. She was expected to be someone other than herself. And the one person she trusted is reluctant to reveal the entire truth.

Along the way, there is a definite connection between Finn and Wendy, but one that could put one or both at risk. As a protector, Finn is entrusted with Wendy's life, but he can never aspire to Wendy's position. And it will become clear that Finn has overstepped his position, when he is expected to make one of the most difficult decisions of his life.

We are introduced to several Trylle as well as a handful of mansklig. Wendy will meet the human with whom she was switched at birth, and make a connection that will get her one step closer to her human family. But during the coming out gala, the mansion is attacked and Wendy once again becomes the target of a warring faction of Trolls. Homesick and missing her brother Matt, Wendy makes the decision, that being human was easier than being the next in line to inherit the mantle of Queen.

SWITCHED is an interesting storyline. I wasn't sure what to expect when I read that the supernatural beings were Trolls. Thankfully Amanda has written the characters with beauty that rivals most fairy tale heroines and heroes. The storyline was predictable when Wendy fell for her captor, and the requisite evil step-mother would put many bad guys to shame. Switched read like a fairy tale from start to finish. A few tears fell when Wendy said goodbye to her human brother Matt-the emotional wreck that I am could not handle his pleading.

The book is the first of three, a quick read, the writing is simple and like many YA novels, the adults are manipulative and evil. A society that switches out humans for their own babies, and expects a king's ransom in return, sounds more like a nightmare than a bedtime story. Perhaps there is a reason the people are Trolls and Wendy calls them grifters. They live off the wealth of the humans they despise.

see all of my reviews at :thereadingcafe.com

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing book, March 26 2012
This review is from: Switched (Paperback)
This book is amazing! Its twisted and wanted me to read more and more. I loved Finn he is so cute. I couldn't stop reading untill I finished and once i did i wanted to read the next book. This book never gets you bored. You never know whats going to happen next. You find that you are in love with the characters almost instatly. I recomend this book to anyone. It is by far one of my favorite books. I can't wait untill ascend comes out!

4.0 out of 5 stars Spellbindingly original!, March 5 2012
This review is from: Switched (Paperback)
When I first read the synopsis for this book, I thought it was going to be just another story about faery changelings -- but it surprised me in the best possible way! Switched was still mystically beautiful in a way that was reminiscent of faeries, but it was about spellbinding trolls instead.

These are not the wild, erratic, and live-under-a-bridge trolls you're used to -- instead, they're called Trylle and they're beautiful, magical, and so incredibly fascinating! I was captivated by the Trylle lore immediately, from their abilities to their monarchy and way of life.

I adore Wendy. She's the perfect strong yet vulnerable, hard-willed yet completely sweet heroine that makes it so easy to connect with a book. She's far from perfect, but her imperfections are what make her real. The rest of the cast (like Rhys, and Willa, and even Queen Elora) each have their own distinct personalities that make it interesting too!

And Finn? There's just something about those "strong and silent" types that draws girls in -- I loved him so much! Tentative and sweet, their romance was one that I fell in love with the more I read. Between the fast-paced plot, unique lore, and beautiful setting, you will fly through this book in one sitting and find yourself spellbound in Amanda Hocking's world!

Fascinating and beautiful, Switched is one refreshing story that's definitely worth the read! I can't believe it took me so long to pick it up but I'm SO glad I did. Now I'm desperately craving to find out what happens in the second book of the trilogy, Torn! :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for adults, Feb. 25 2012
This review is from: Switched (Paperback)
A lot of books that are in the teen section are actually great for all ages, such as the one and only, famous "Hunger Game". And there are other books that target specific audiences, the teens. And this book, I'm afraid is much like "Twilight", would probably appeal only to teenage girls. The protagonist is a "troll" princess...who had been raised by human, and always felt she couldn't fit in. And one day, a pretty/cute and strong young knight/body guard from the troll kingdom come out and take her back home...

I really tried to like this book...as it's been getting quite a few positive reviews. However...honestly, the characters are not very likeable, the plot is somewhat cliche...I really didn't care about anybody in the story. It could be just me not being the targeted audience and I know it's unfair to compare every teen book to the Hunger Game.

Anyways, I know this book essentially got its success in the ibook store selling for 0.99$ - 2.99$. The bottom line is, for 2.99$ it might be worth your money and maybe keep you entertained for one afternoon. But I really wouldn't recommend spending 10 bucks to buy the actual book. I won't be reading the rest of the books in the trilogy and I don't intend to keep this first book on my book shelf for long. Giving it for your teenage friends or friends who...are trapped in their teenage mind set, could be a good idea though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review from Esther's Ever After, Jan. 12 2012
Brenna "Book blogger from Esther's Ever After... (Brantford, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Switched (Paperback)
Combine relatively unknown (or at least, uncommon) mythology, REALLY hot (but forbidden) romance and chemistry, and an exciting new world for an intoxicating series that MUST BE READ.

I figured I wouldn't be that interested, and that Switched wouldn't be that different or intriguing. But it was! So, so good and I'm completely hooked on these books. And I'm so very happy that the next books are coming out soon so I can read them! This little book here has just stolen my heart and become a new favourite <3 I'm literally giddy with excitement in anticipation of the next two books (February and April 2012)!

Reasons to Read:

1.Wendy as a complicated character:

Wendy is delightfully well-developed and elaborate. She is flawed, yet maintains many positive qualities that make her a sympathetic and amiable character. I quickly became attached to her and her goodwill, and was rooting for her all the way through. She also seems to exhibit the beginnings of mature development, and admired her overall for her loyalty and determination.

2.Swoon-worthy romance:

I wasn't too sure about Finn at first, and similarly to Wendy it took me a while to become attached to him. But by the end, I was completely infatuated and couldn't help swooning over every page he made an appearance. Incredibly well-developed, so that it doesn't feel like instant love at all, but a gradual trust-worthiness which is carefully developed.

3.Struggle between love and duty:

The Antigone complex. I've used this before in reviews, but it's one of my favourite plot struggles and the story of Antigone is one of my favourites. Wendy ends up torn between her sense of duty and responsibility for the position she's born into and her longing to be free to make her own decisions for her life and stand up for those she cares about (remember how I said I admired her?)

4.Creative use of mythology:

I adore reading stories that make use of traditional mythology but ones that are less common than the typical vampires/werewolves/faeries storylines. I think youreally get to see a greater degree of creativity on Amanda's part, because it isn't something that's talked about as much as others.

The one thing I didn't love at first is how sudden you're thrown into the story and the action begins right away- and it can feel rather disconcerting when it happens so suddenly. The sudden changes occur so early on in the book that I didn't care simply because I wasn't invested in the story or with the character yet. But you quickly become accustomed to it, and easily find yourself involved in the story so this was a rather minor hitch in a phenomenal story.

ARC received from Raincoast Books in exchange for my honest review; no other compensation was received.

ARRAY(0xb43c7360)

Switched
Switched by Amanda Hocking (Paperback - Jan. 3 2012)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49