Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle SGG Countdown to Cyber Monday in Lawn & Garden Black Friday Deals Week in Music

Format: PaperbackChange

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(4 star).Show all reviews
on January 3, 2012
I was curious to see how this book would turn out. Trolls were a new one for me. I've also heard many good things about author Amanda Hocking - so when I started the book I was expecting it to be good and at first I was disappointed.

In the first few chapters I thought Wendy came off as nothing but a brat really and the story was a bit bland but after about three chapters it became more interesting and I got caught up in the story. My earlier impressions of Wendy were misplaced and she grew to be a more lovable character but at times I still felt she was causing unnecessary pain to her brother and aunt.

Still, as I said the story caught me and I was brimming with questions and excitement as I read about the troll society. The story was well done and it didn't feel slow like it did in the beginning but rather every chapter was thrilling to read about. I really enjoyed meeting the characters and seeing how they interact. Finn, Willa, and Tove grew on me even the cold Elora.

The abilities of the Trylle (trolls) were interesting and I wished we could have learned more about Wendy's powers but I suppose that's another thing to look forward to in the next book. I also wanted to learn more about the kingdom of the Trylle, what's threatening it and it's politics (never thought I'd be saying that!). The new re-published St. Martin's edition also had a short story that's never been published called 'The Vittra Attacks' set within the world. I'm wondering how the characters that I saw in them will play a role in the next book. It was four chapters long and interesting to read.

I believe the many great things said about Hocking's stories are well deserved. This book definitely went in the right direction for me and I'm looking forward to the next book in the series as well as any other books by Amanda Hocking - her book Wake, to be released in the summer 2012 particularly sounds interesting. With it's exciting story, romance and a small kingdom full of plots and secrets - I'm sure that's it's a story that will leave you caught and wanting more.
on October 27, 2014
I'm a big fan of Amanda Hocking – not because of her self-made status, but because of her writing style and how she steps out of the paranormal genre to include more than just vampires and fairies. This series in particular focuses on anthropomorphic trolls who still practice placing a changeling troll with human parents.
While some reviewers may think that our protagonist, Wendy, is just a spoiled teenager, I feel that Hocking is actually trying to show us how Trylle (or trolls) are different from their human counterparts, right down to their general demeanor. They like going barefoot, are picky eaters, and are generally pretty grumpy. They're trolls, right?
I found this first addition to the trilogy to be fairly well laid out – very much following Joseph Campbells Heroes Journey – however, it didn't feel as fleshed out as it could have. Some aspects definitely feel a bit too quick, not leaving enough room to fully develop the story. Despite this, I still quite enjoyed the book.
We are taken into a world of the supernatural – a completely fascinating one. Hocking will hint at little things, but doesn't reveal anything too soon – the mystery drives the story forwards.
Altogether, this book left me wanting more – lucky for me, I've got the next two books on the shelf ready to go.

If you're looking for something supernatural that's got a bit more imagination – check out Hockings Switched. There's no glittery fairy's here.
on March 5, 2012
When I first read the synopsis for this book, I thought it was going to be just another story about faery changelings -- but it surprised me in the best possible way! Switched was still mystically beautiful in a way that was reminiscent of faeries, but it was about spellbinding trolls instead.

These are not the wild, erratic, and live-under-a-bridge trolls you're used to -- instead, they're called Trylle and they're beautiful, magical, and so incredibly fascinating! I was captivated by the Trylle lore immediately, from their abilities to their monarchy and way of life.

I adore Wendy. She's the perfect strong yet vulnerable, hard-willed yet completely sweet heroine that makes it so easy to connect with a book. She's far from perfect, but her imperfections are what make her real. The rest of the cast (like Rhys, and Willa, and even Queen Elora) each have their own distinct personalities that make it interesting too!

And Finn? There's just something about those "strong and silent" types that draws girls in -- I loved him so much! Tentative and sweet, their romance was one that I fell in love with the more I read. Between the fast-paced plot, unique lore, and beautiful setting, you will fly through this book in one sitting and find yourself spellbound in Amanda Hocking's world!

Fascinating and beautiful, Switched is one refreshing story that's definitely worth the read! I can't believe it took me so long to pick it up but I'm SO glad I did. Now I'm desperately craving to find out what happens in the second book of the trilogy, Torn! :)