5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing and heartbreaking sequel!, March 22 2012
Woodcat71 (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Torn (Paperback)
Rating: 4.5 beautiful stars!

You know you have an amazing sequel when you love it more than the first book -- and that's exactly the case with Torn! I wasn't expecting to be as blown away as I was but I ended up loving it from the beautiful cover to the heartbreaking end.

From the very first page, I already knew I was going to lose sleep reading this book! It still gives enough information to remind you of what happened in Switched, but the recap isn't boring or overwhelming. We also get to learn more about the Trylle lore, with its beautiful and magical trolls that are separated into two quarreling kingdoms (both of which have automatically made it onto my list of Fictional Places I Want To Live In).

In the first book, Wendy was only discovering her Trylle heritage and she was admittedly a little childish with her actions. But in Torn, you watch her grow and develop and have to go through so many sacrifices to protect her kingdom that you can't help but love her! My heart was on an inconsistent rhythm, but it was always in sync with hers.

Wendy's birth mother, Elora, also surprised me with how much I grew to like her. And even though you watch Wendy's forbidden romance with Finn dwindle before your eyes, which is as painful and heartbreaking to us as it is to her, we get to meet Loki (who completely stole me heart)! How can you not fall for a guy who's fun and sardonic yet still adorably sweet??

Beautifully written and crafted, Torn is a book that I think everyone should have on their shelf! The lore is original and enchanting, the romance is sweet and heartbreaking, and Wendy's sacrifices will tear you apart. I can't wait to get my hands on the final installment! :)

BUY or BORROW?: Definitely a book worth buying! If not for the gorgeous cover, then buy it for the coolest trolls you will ever read about in your life! ;)

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed Torn more than the first book, Feb. 28 2012
Fantasy's Ink (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Torn (Paperback)
I enjoyed Torn more than the first book. Torn picks up right after where Switched ended. Amanda Hocking managed to pull quite a few surprises that I never saw coming, that's for sure. The Vittra tribe was also introduced - a tribe of trolls that were quite different than the Trylles. A few new characters appeared and of course we saw some of our old characters return. I loved seeing more of Tove and Willa!

I also loved seeing the interactions between Finn and Wendy play out. Strangely Torn didn't have as much romance as it did in the first book yet the book was still enjoyable even more so than the first - maybe because we saw much more of the supporting characters. There was a new character, Loki, who was also fighting for Wendy's affection. Although I enjoyed Loki as a character I didn't much care for the romance between them.

In the previous book I thought Wendy came off as a brat and I can safely say she really grew more mature in this book and most of her actions are justified. I was also hoping we would learn more of the Trylle abilities in the second book and we definitely learned more as Wendy starts learning how use her power. We also discover what makes her so special and why everyone is pushing her to be the ruler.

The books also contains a short story titled "One Day: Three Ways" that shifts between the point of views of Finn, Tove and Loki - although only 26 pages it was still pretty interesting to see what was going on through their heads.

I would have given it a full rating but the writing was nothing special and world was not all too creative and original. Yet the plot had me enthralled and I was quite excited to see where the story was going next. I'm excited to see how the trilogy ends in the final book Ascend. And luckily we only have to wait two months for it to be released!

Torn
Torn by Amanda Hocking (Paperback - Feb. 28 2012)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49