5.0 out of 5 stars Not Your Basic Police Story
Book 1 in Detective Sonchai Jitpleecheep series

This is a police story that stands above many mysteries I have read lately. Although at first glace it seems to rehash the basics found in other books, it was a pleasant surprise to find otherwise.

The story revolves around a police detective investigating a murder that claimed his partner's life and...
Published on June 24 2010 by Toni Osborne

3.0 out of 5 stars A strong city, a weak cast
I picked this up when I saw that the blurbs on the back cover came from my two favorite crimes writers, Carl Hiaasen and James Ellroy. I suppose I was hoping for great things, either Hiaasen's light hand, or Ellroy's dark tales of intrigue. However, when a character takes a deep breath and delivers a one to three page sermon on, amongst other things, jade, prostitution...
Published on April 13 2004 by Newton Munnow

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Sonchai saves the book., Dec 8 2003
By A Customer
I read this book on the recommendation of a Russian writer Victor Pelevin, himself a Buddhist. Now, after finishing the book, I realize that if not for Sonchai, monk turned cop, this book will fall apart under the weight of bizarre tiresome convoluted plot, many unrealized characters, cliches, cultural truisms and propaganda like anti americanism. Sonchai, the Buddhist cop, endlessly self doubting romantic, vulnerable, and smart, saves this mediocre book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Horrific dual killing opens this book, Jan. 19 2004
Peggy Vincent "author and reader" (Oakland, CA) - See all my reviews
John Burdett's 3rd novel sets a detective story in contemporary Bangkok with a surprisingly seductive and engaging local protagonist, the Thai partner of a dead Bangkok cop who diet during a horrific dual killing with which the book opens. The most unusual aspect of the book, which is otherwise just a really good cop story, is the Buddhist spirituality of Sonchai Jitpleecheep (the detective). It adds a welcome 4th dimension. Good stuff here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn About Bangkok, Aug. 10 2003
Carl F. Mclaren Jr. (Haines City, Florida USA) - See all my reviews
I just want to say two things (1) I had no problems with the end of the book, in fact I liked it.(2) Most mysteries I like take place in an unusual or historical setting, that way you not only get a mystery but you learn something as well. I knew little about Bangkok and was therefore intrigued by the concept. The author is a very good writer and this book deserves a wide audience, it is the best book I've read since The Da Vinci Code.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard-to-put-down Mystery in an Exotic Locale, Aug. 6 2003
Karl A. Schmieder "panamakarl" (brooklyn, ny USA) - See all my reviews
This book has it all: a Buddhist detective who depends on his intuition to solve a ghastly murder; corrupt cops; the American FBI; lots of prostitutes; and, an on-the-ground look at a Third World Cityï¿s chaos. Youï¿ll get a glimpse of Thai culture, a critique of the West and more than a few laughs. A well-plotted mystery that is hard to put down. I recommend it if youï¿re interested in foreign cultures and excellent writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific cultural mystery, March 6 2004
By A Customer
Make no mistake: this is a genre book--a mystery. It does not transcend the genre, but it is among the best mysteries I have read. I love mysteries that take place in other (than American) cultures and exhibit a real understanding of that culture. Having been to Thailand several times, Bangkok 8 fits that bill. It is enthralling: sex, murder, rebirth, Buddhism, corruption, drugs, gems, revenge.

5.0 out of 5 stars The bar is very high (no pun intended), March 25 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Bangkok 8: A Royal Thai Detective Novel (1) (Paperback)
This is a great book! - stunning plot idea, fascinating prinicpal characters and locale, incredibly well researched, very well written, enough sociological insight to please a university professor, and plot turns that kept me guessing right to the end. If five percent of the thrillers I read were this good, I'd become a buddhist myself like Detective Sonchai. A must read for control freaks!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exotic mystery with great character, Sept. 10 2003
James L. Ruble "drjim" (mobile, al) - See all my reviews
Bangkok is an overwhelming and exciting city. This book has that same overwhelming excitement to it. From the beginning when the lead character's partner is killed in a crazy way to the wild twists and turns of the end this book is a delight. What sets it apart from the usual procedural fare, however, is the characterization of the protagonist and the social commentary on Thai Prostitution.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow! What a great read!, Oct. 18 2003
Kevin (Connecticut) - See all my reviews
This is a book I did not want to finish because I liked it so much. I simply didn't want it to end. Bangkok 8 was such a pleasant surprise to me that I am recommending it to everyone I know. Loved the characters and loved the plot, a little wayward at times but I was really pleased with this book. Maybe Burdett will continue with Sonchai's character in another book! Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Bangkok 8, Sept. 4 2003
Julian Hutchings (Kaohsiung City, - Taiwan) - See all my reviews
I stared the book and as it was a long haul flight, I couldn't put it down.Having been to Bangkok I could well relate to the setting,the heat,the pollution and well,yes, the seedy areas. It was a thoroughly enjoyable novel until it gets to the end,where it seems to lose its' direction somehow and I finished the book saying "And.....?"
A great book and a promising author....

2.0 out of 5 stars Alluring plot in great locale..anti usa bias too heavy!, July 6 2003
By A Customer
I enjoyed this book for about 200 pages then soured on it's endless anti usa theme. To blame all the worlds ills on the usa is just to simple and ignores the worlds complexities. This guy blasts the usa but will take our money for this book? What a joker. I buy a book for entertainment not moral lambasting..If I want that I go to church (which I never do).

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

Bangkok 8: A Royal Thai Detective Novel (1)
Bangkok 8: A Royal Thai Detective Novel (1) by John Burdett (Paperback - July 13 2004)
CDN$ 18.00 CDN$ 13.00