5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Darwin
Origin of Species

This is a quick review of the book not a dissertation on Darwin or any other subject loosely related. At first I did not know what to expect. I already read " The Voyage of the Beagle: Charles Darwin's Journal of Researches". I figured the book would be similar. However I found "Origin" to be more complex and detailed.

Taking in...
Published on Oct. 15 2006 by bernie

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm sure I will like the books but....................
I always thought that by purchasing a hard cover book you were guaranteed decent sized print but this is not always the case and this edition is one of those that does not. I do not think I will be able to read it.
Published 5 months ago by Joseph Constant

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm sure I will like the books but...................., March 15 2014
This review is from: The Origin of Species and The Voyage of the 'Beagle': Introduction by Richard Dawkins (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Darwin, Oct. 15 2006
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Origin of Species

Taking in account that recent pieces of knowledge were not available to Charles Darwin this book could have been written last week. Having to look from the outside without the knowledge of DNA or Plate Tectonics, he pretty much nailed how the environment and crossbreeding would have an effect on natural selection. Speaking of natural selection, I thought his was going to be some great insight to a new concept. All it means is that species are not being mucked around by man (artificial selection).

If you picked up Time magazine today you would find all the things that Charles said would be near impossible to find or do. Yet he predicted that it is doable in theory. With an imperfect geological record many things he was not able to find at the writing of this book have been found (according to the possibilities described in the book.)

The only draw back to the book was his constant apologizing. If he had more time and space he could prove this and that. Or it looks like this but who can say at this time. Or the same evidence can be interpreted 180 degrees different.

In the end it is worth reading and you will never look at life the same way again.

------------------------------------------------------

Voyage of the Beagle

Remember this says "Journal" and that is what it is. It is his first parson adventures on and off the Beagle. He even includes stories about the people on the ship, the ship's life, and maintenance. He is always going ashore and venturing beyond the ship charter to go where no Englishman has gone before. He makes friends with tyrants and the down trodden. Once, to get an animal to come to him, he lay on his back and waved his arms and legs in the air. Whatever you do, do not turn your back on him. He is always knocking something on the head and taking it back for study. It is fun trying to match the old names for places with the new.

CDN$ 39.00 CDN$ 24.45