5.0 out of 5 stars Online networking is hot read thsi to get it right!
Killer App - A new application, system, program or device that completely destroys an old paradigm or way of doing things.
Love - Using your human qualities with compassion to assist others to thrive in their business.
Tim Sandler - Chief Solutions Officer at Yahoo!
Published on Jan. 28 2004 by Bill Liao

3.0 out of 5 stars Compassion is the Killer App
I found it really hard to continue reading this book after seeing the definition of the term "Killer App" totally mutilated. But the definition of words and phrases in the English language change very quickly, and the same word may mean many different things to people in different professions.
I found it hard to relate to some of the passages because of the focus on...
Published on July 30 2002 by Dave Nelson

5.0 out of 5 stars Online networking is hot read thsi to get it right!, Jan. 28 2004
This review is from: Love Is the Killer App: How to Win Business and Influence Friends (Paperback)
Tim Sandler - Chief Solutions Officer at Yahoo!
Tim has written what amounts to a bible of person to person networking and for a member of openBC, this book is what openBC is all about assisting you to do, it is the very reason you are here!!!
The Book is breathtakingly original and provides real practical advice from someone who obviously succeeds at life using the tools he describes.
Some thoughts paraphrased from the book;
Ask yourself whenever you are about to enter into something - Is the value with you inside a situation is greater than the value without you there?
Further thoughts on being a Love Cat rather than a Mad Dog - The love business is the act of intelligently and sensibly sharing your intangibles with you bizpartners.
Compassion is the personal quality that machines can never possess - the human ability to reach out with warmth, whether through eye contact, physical touch or words.
If you just take on these insights from the first pages you will be ahead in you professional life and I recommend the whole book as it is also a complete justification for the power of knowing people. It is also a how too manual for getting the most from openBC.
Do not be scared by the quirky title just read it and prosper! This is the book you hope and pray your competition is not reading first.
This and all the other business books I recommend are available on the Open Business club.

5.0 out of 5 stars BizLove Version 1.0 -- Just Outa Beta, Nov. 19 2003
Very powerful how2 book for someone just starting out or floundering in bizwhirld. Love App contains tried and true techniques for inventing and reinventing your career, spun-up in WEBwords. Very readable and has specific tactics delineated for easy implementation.
The sections on Knowledge and Networks are primers for the uninitiated, and also thought provoking to the experienced hunter/gatherer of knowledge and its network applications. There are instructions on how to acquire these valuable skills and recommendations of books for further study.
The section on Compassion is a good exploration into that underemployed state of mind. Though to my mind there is more to it than the hugging and the obsequiousness which Tim suggests, nonetheless these things can help reduce fear and promote goodwill among ourselves. "Perfect love dispels fear." said St. John, but how do we reach for perfect love in the act of business?
It is refreshing to see that someone is expounding on the subjects of love and compassion in business. If we must work, then let's make it fun for everyone. We all know this stuff intuitively, so why is it so difficult to put into practice? Maybe Tim will have an answer and some suggestions in version 2.0.
bpjammin@yahoo.com

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast read, helpful book with good insights..., Oct. 27 2003
NGK "NGK" (Mt. Washington, CA) - See all my reviews
I heard Tim Sanders speak recently at a young leaders conference in Atlanta and it was on this very idea ("Love is the Killer App"). So while I was already introduced to the general idea of the book, it was more helpful for me in reading it because I had heard this guy speak and had seen his audacious personality!
Let me just say this: everything you read in the book is truly lived out in Tim, the man. I'm not a Business major, but I am a Communication major in college right now and this book gave great insights to not just good-business models and principles but good social-people skills as well.
I wish he had talked more in the book about the scarcity mentality (in which he spoke on -- along with talking about the content in this book) because that for me, was the most interesting thing in this whole "Love is the killer app" approach.
Despite this, the book is solid and is good for not just the Business folk but for every person who would call themselves a human being. I'm an aspiring 21-year-old lovecat myself, and Tim is an encouraging role model for me and for the future of American leaders and followers! Thanks Tim!

5.0 out of 5 stars bizlove, Oct. 12 2003
Stephen Sherlock "shersteve" (Franklin, MA) - See all my reviews
This small book espouses a big idea in a practical manner. Tim creates a new term: bizlove. Tim defines bizlove as "The art of intelligently and sensibly sharing your intangibles with your bizpartners. What are your intangibles? They are our knowledge, our network, and our compassion." Tim provides concise steps to achieve bizlove. He provides steps on building your knowledge by reading (aggregating, encoding, processing, and applying). He provides steps for utilizing your network (collect, connect, and disappear). Tim then goes on to say that "you've got to express your compassion, because, compassion combined with knowledge and network, it is the way we win hearts and influence business in this, the dawn of the new business world."
Have you already read Tom Peter's "Brand You 50"? If you have, you may recognize the parallels. But Tim has walked his own talk. He has aggregated a number of books; built the bizlove idea from them, used his network to help develop bizlove, and is now sharing this idea with passion. Read, and enjoy. You may become a lovecat!

5.0 out of 5 stars All you need is love, June 26 2003
Amazon Customer (Mountain View, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I picked this book up for the first time in the Stanford Bookstore because of its interesting cover design. Orange is the new black, you see...I read it that day in near-entirety, and returned to do so twice more before finally purchasing it. It was [$$$], after all, and I really don't buy books until they come out in paperback...
Imagine my surprise when one of Sanders' major points turned out to be "you can afford a few hardcover books." Because, he argues, properly used (as only hardcovers can stand up to), books ARE knowledge, and they can be "your ticket to success" (p.71).
The underlying idea here is to share that knowledge. Sanders defines "love" with a quote from Milton Mayeroff, "the selfless promotion of the growth of the other". When viewed that way, love in the business world means sharing your information, knowledge, contacts, and opportunities with those who need them, whether or not you will profit from the transaction. This makes you a "lovecat", one who offers his wisdom freely, gives away their address book to those who want it, and is always human (p.3).
The exciting part for me was that this philosophy does not get you fired; it does not run your company into the ground; it does not make people laugh at you. Instead, it leads to profitable relationships, new modes of doing business, and a flexible, adaptive work environment. In many ways this sounded like one of Bob Sutton's Weird Ideas That Work (especially information leakage b/tw companies, p.17; purpose of failing, p.191)
Finally, this workview is actually sustainable, and even necessary, in the modern economy. It is providing a service that no business offers (p.153);
Look at Southwest Airlines, its flamboyant CEO, Herb Kelleher, and its NYSE symbol "LUV". Look at Google and Sergey Brin's "don't be evil" philosophy. Look at Michael Robertson, the founder of MP3.com, who gave stock options to all his friends (including Sanders, p.204) and watched the price quadruple. This is not stupid--it's the only thing that makes sense. Our economy is increasingly mechanized; our species is rapidly making itself redundant, and the number one form of entertainment for a month this summer was watching a movie that showed a possible outcome of this to us (Matrix).
Loving is something a machine cannot do, and something humans are getting worse at. Work on that, Sanders says, and you will develop an outstanding reputation, give people great experiences, get their attention, and gain personal satisfaction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Showing a Little Love Can Go a Long Way in Business, April 19 2003
J. Straub (Cleveland Heights, OH United States) - See all my reviews
Yahoo's Tim Sanders describes in Love is the Killer App how he stumbled on a very successful philosophy. Sanders advocates taking a true interest in someone's career or business and trying to help them through introductions and advice with no specific expectation of remuneration. He says that first, you will be perceived as an expert of sorts (for knowing what or who you know) and second that the person will feel somewhat endeared to you for thinking of them. The benefits, he suggests, in the long run will reward you.
Sanders also suggests that you read as much as possible, so that you have a little bit of knowledge about any subject that could come up. He stresses that books are far more useful than newspapers/magazines/etc. as they extrapolate on their subject and are able to provide an abundant source of additional information should the need arise (though he does point out that magazines do have particular value in some instances).
All-in-all the book does have some valuable suggestions and is definitely worth reading. Some of his suggestions are very specific to sales people for service industries and may be difficult to implement if you work for a product-centric company or are not in sales. Most suggestions, though, are universal. If you want a way to be happier, have more professional acquaintances, and go further in life, this book should be a definite addition to your reading list.

4.0 out of 5 stars Here Comes Lovey Dovey... Run!!!, Jan. 26 2003
SETI (brooklyn, ny United States) - See all my reviews
The book's message can get swallowed up in the hammering away of the importance of showing love to everyone you meet.
Typically, when you meet a person who goes overboard to be nice and.. takes it as far as giving you a good, close chest throbbing hug, your seriously uncomfortable. Sanders expresses that physical expression of love ie. two handed hand shakes and hugging should be determined on a case by case basis.
Maybe I'm new to the love movement, but I found that and the idea of telling people that you "love them" and inserting positive statements, such as "I'm dedicated to the success of your business" as somewhat artificial.
Funny thing.. after finishing the book, I visited Tim's site looking for a email address. The message? "I loved your book."
Go figure.
Overall.. the thought he expresses is tried and true: creating and maintaining a network of biz friends is essential to success and best accomplished by creating value through authentic connections.

What I got from it was pretty basic.
I had always found marking and underlining passages in my books unsightly, but Tim convinced me that it's the best way to recall quotes and ideas. I now summarize my books with The Big Thought on the opening pages.
It's probably a common practice.. but you have to learn it some day.
The Big Thought.. Invest in knowledge. Read books and understand the contents. Share the knowledge with others to benefit them & potentially yourself.
The #1 quote.. "Business education without execution is just entertainment."

4.0 out of 5 stars What's a Killer App?, Dec 28 2002
In "Love is the Killer App" Tim Sanders, high tech new economist, marketer, and author, evangelizes his big thought (term from the book for a one sentence summary; see also "elevator speech") that nice guys and gals can finish first if they effectively and enthusiastically use their intangibles: Knowledge, Network, and Compassion. His key points include: studying books vs. just reading them, and making notes so that a book's insights are readily available later (Notes on the front inside cover; Quotes on the back). Sanders' also explains that every person we meet is a potential node in our network, and successful folks seek beneficial connections for the people within their network just for the sake of helping as opposed to personal gain. Sanders also explains that compassion can and should be extended to business relationships. Encouraging others, listening and demonstrating you care for those you come in contact with is an end in itself, and you will soon find the encouragement and caring coming back to you.
I rated this book 4 instead of 5 stars because being super-nice in a business context taken to an extreme can get you creamed. What could possibly be nicer than giving your goods and services away? Sound ridiculous? It does, but just check out the feedback from your customer contact folks when you announce a necessary price increase. Sander's addresses the doormat syndrome by saying that Lovecats (the title Sander's confers on those who maximize their intangibles) are not Dumbcats. He encourages us to be nice and smart, but I found his explanation in this area vague. Where does nice stop and smart start? I suppose somewhere near the dividing line between cost and profit. I wish the author had given us a little more here.
Also, Sanders stresses touch in expressing our compassion. While among techie's, like Sanders, there seems to enough room to hug your customers and coworkers, there remains a few pockets of the old school here and there (I'm a Commercial Banker and we still wear ties most days) where I remain doubtful that physical affection is right tool for the job.
This book caries a positive message and got me thinking and doing. In fact, I decided to write this review based on Sanders' recommendation in the knowledge section of the book. I am now writing notes in books I read, rethinking my network and it's possibilities, and I feel encouraged in my belief that respect for others and good business are not mutually exclusive.
I left this book with the notion that Sanders' is an excellent marketer, and that his excellence in this area may slightly exceed his ability to generate content. But I intend to test his ideas anyway, and I already have. Just the other day, and even before I got to the "evangelize new ideas you gain from books" section, I was at lunch with 4 coworkers, one of whom was quite senior. This fella was describing his desire to see more mutual concern and respect (Sanders' Bizlove) in our extended work group. The ideas sounded so familiar that I assumed he had read Sanders' book or one similar, and I just had to blurt out "Love is the Killer App". My ill-timed insertion stopped the, till then lively, lunch conversation cold, and I found 3 strange looks staring back at me. None of the 3 had ever heard the slang term "Killer App" much less about the book. Needless to say this book has an audience but it is not all encompassing, and applying Sanders' insights requires that you know your audience.
GG

2.0 out of 5 stars Solid Ideas; Laboriously Told, Dec 11 2002
Certainly encouraging the sharing of knowledge, networks, and compassion within the business world are great ideas; ideas and practices that I agree with the author should be more prevalent in the workplace. Tim Sanders rational, presentation, and description of how to achieve "lovecat" status in his book Love is the Killer App is in my opinion meandering and loosely structured. Very few references are made to any serious business or academic research to back up claims made in this book. One of his suggestions is to leave the cover on books you read so people will ask you about them. In my experience find that as a career building strategy to be a bit off. Rarely does Sanders go outside his high-tech - dot com world to provide the reader with insights and examples of the benefits to be gained from converting to a "lovecat." Only at the end of the book does Sanders describe how to deal with set backs in trying to achieve "lovecat" status and he provides little detail on how to work the politics and personality types in organizations. Best thing about this book was its brevity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed My Approach to Business, Nov. 10 2002
John Porcaro (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
Like the author, I feel that having meaningful relationships built on trust and respect are critical to business today. But I've found that widening my circle at work was difficult.
I picked this book up on a business trip, and finished it in one sitting. Immediately, I had a strategy for a new approach to building my own skills, and using those new skills to build my influence at work.
This book changed how I look at gathering knowledge, and more importantly, sharing it. Since purchasing the book several months ago, I've bought 15 copies of the book and given it to family, friends, and co-workers. And for a few of them, it's had the same impact.
Shortly stated, Sanders explains a strategy of becoming a "lovecat" thorough studying books like you're still in college, finding ways to share what you know with co-workers and partners, and expanding your networks by being open and sharing your contacts with those that could benefit.
While the title attracted me to the book, it doesn't do it justice. It's not a touchy-feely book, extoling the virtues of open communication or emotional attachment. Instead, it gives a solid strategy for "how" to get started, and goes from there.
Highly recommended. If you read one business book on how to build your personal networks, this is the one!

Love Is the Killer App: How to Win Business and Influence Friends