4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, but...
The book is well written, using unique materials, imaginative ideas, and the patterns seem well written to me. I've seen other people make simply beautiful things with these patterns.
Published on April 20 2004 by Jennifer M. Walsh

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice coffee table book, but...
Published on July 14 2004 by A. Ownby

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, but..., April 20 2004
This review is from: Simple Crochet (Paperback)
That said, my biggest problem with this book, is I really feel the photographs don't do the patterns justice. They're all great pictures, but they all look like they should be side photos, and not a main picture. They don't usually show the whole work, and tend to be too close to the work to give you a full view of what it would look like finished. I saw a finished work from the book online in another crocheter's journal, and I said to myself that I didn't remember seeing that in the book at ALL. I looked back, and realized it was one of the close up pictured items. Not a good way to sell a book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not your grandmother's crochet book!, March 25 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Simple Crochet (Paperback)
I'm not a fan of the slippers pictured on the cover, but as soon as I looked inside, I knew I had to have this book! It's chock full of hip projects using non-traditional materials like kitchen twine, raffia, and leather. This is not your grandmother's crochet book! I encourage anyone who is sick of wading through out-dated, cheesy patterns to check out this book. Most of the projects are made from simple stitches like single and double crochet, and they are very adaptable. Most of them don't even require a gauge swatch. I won't be running out of projects or ideas for quite a while.
I didn't give it 5 stars because the instructions could've been a little better. First-timers may need some supplemental explanation from other sources.

4.0 out of 5 stars beautiful projects, March 23 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Simple Crochet (Paperback)
I've been knitting for a while now and I picked up this book on a whim to expand my repetoire. The projects in it are really beautiful. I had previously steered clear of crochet because I thought all crochet was ugly. I was wrong! This book is modern and beautiful. The patterns all use Rowan yarns which are expensive so be prepard to do so some sleuthing to figure out yarn substitutions. As a complete beginner I did find that I needed some supplemental how-to instructions for stuff that just wasn't clicking in my brain when reading the book instructions. A little internet searching cleared that right up and now I've already picked out about 4 projects I want to try.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still have questions, Dec 30 2003
Bethanie Frank "book dreamer" (Coffeyville, KS United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Simple Crochet (Paperback)
I still have questions after looking at the book. I am doing something dreadfully wrong and can't figure it out from the little pictures. I think the stuff in the book is beautiful, but I doubt I'll ever get there. I have tried and tried, and had other people look at the book; but I still seem to be randomly increasing and decreasing and have no idea how I am doing it. Frustrating! Needless to say, I am putting the book away for now. Maybe some other time...

5.0 out of 5 stars very visually appealing look at classic projects, Sept. 11 2003
Michelle (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Simple Crochet (Paperback)
this book is just a treat. as usual with Erika Knight's books the layout is wonderful; full page photos, photo instructions of stitiches (not drawn ones which are confusing sometimes) and lush photos of yarn and finished projects. no garments here, except the slippers featured on the cover. this is all home dec - afghans, baskets, pillows... many have been done before - but so what! for instance, she explains how to crochet an edging onto sheets or towels - we've seen this before but it still looks fresh and beautiful in modern materials and a stunning presentation.
this is such a great time to be a crocheter; there are many MANY wonderful books being published this year, and this ia worthwhile addition for a novice as well as someone more exeperienced.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Modern Pattern Ideas Only, Oct. 10 2003
This review is from: Simple Crochet (Paperback)
I bought Simple Crochet today, inspired by it's lovely "Modern Afghan" pattern that I saw finished and displayed on a website. The basic design of the book is very trendy, very pleasing to the eye and I wouldn't be embarassed to have this lying on my coffee table. The photographs of project patterns are beautiful. The instructions are very easy to follow, in my opinion and the photographs showing how to do simple stitches are extremely clear. It also has helpful information on yarn types (weights and colors), gauges, and crochet hooks.
Overall, I think this is a lovely book. However, Simple Crochet is just that: simple. It only shows a small handful how-to-do stitch sections, so if you are looking for something more comprehensive, choose another book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice coffee table book, but..., July 14 2004
This review is from: Simple Crochet (Paperback)
...it does not always provide pictures to clarify the sometimes confusing directions. I have been crocheting for about a month, and based on the reviews, this seemed to be an ideal book for me. It is true that the pictures are beautiful, and the illustrations of the basic stitches are very helpful (assuming you are right-handed). However, most of the variations are NOT illustrated.
It does have some very interesting projects, and provides some idea fodder that I certainly never imagined.
So, if you have some experience crocheting, or if you have a mentor who can help clarify instructions, this is a worthwhile addition to your craft library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Beginning Book, Feb. 6 2004
"robinscpa" (Bothell, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Simple Crochet (Paperback)
I am a self taught beginner. I only know one stitch - the single crochet. This book allowed to me make wonderful things with this one stitch. The projects were quick and were kept exciting by using various materials other than plain old yarn. The directions were very easy to follow. It's the only book I'm using now. Fabulous ideas! I not only was not interested in making blankets - but I didn't want to have to learn a bunch of new stitches and didn't want to follow complex directions. This book is the only and best beginning crochet book out there! HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple Crochet is Beautiful Crochet, Sept. 8 2003
H. Candelaria (San Jose, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Simple Crochet (Paperback)
I rec'd my copy of this book today and, with great anticipation, happily browsed every page. I am writing to report that this is one of the most beautiful, functional crochet books I've ever seen. The pictures are gorgeous, and the instructions contain all the elements of good procedural writing. Loaded with tips and inspiration sections, this book encourages us avid crocheters [and may, perhaps, recruit new crocheters] into experimentation with various media to create truly unique yet functional products.
Thank you Erika Knight. Great job!!! I love and will cherish this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book may encourage you to crochet, Sept. 19 2003
This review is from: Simple Crochet (Paperback)
This is a handsome book by craft author Erika Knight. Her style is "natural"--neutral colors, simple lines. In "Simple Crochet" she employs mostly single crochet stitch, very simple indeed, and makes a number of home projects that look very stylish.
There are slippers and pillows and an appealing throw in a grandma square style, but in colors that would accent any modern room done in rustic colors. If you don't crochet, this may inspire you. If you do crochet, use this book for stunning gifts and home decor items.

Simple Crochet
Simple Crochet by Erika Knight (Paperback - Sept. 2 2003)
CDN$ 29.95 CDN$ 18.77