march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
on May 22, 2010
I picked up this book expecting an interesting story about the origin of the HeLa cell line. This the book delivered. However, be aware that the scientific side of the HeLa cells are only very generally explained. This book is not for someone looking to read about cell biology, but rather someone who is interested in:

a) The evolution of ethics in medical research
b) The human faces behind the HeLa cells, Henrietta Lacks and her progeny

If you find yourself interested in any of the above, then this book is for you.

This is definitely a pop-science book, rather than a scientific treatise and so you should approach it as such.
on July 2, 2013
I may have made a mistake in ordering but I don't think I did. The book came in large print which I disliked. Apart from that it was pretty interesting.
on January 18, 2011
Such a fascinating story deserves better treatment! I found myself being drawn into the parts that focussed on bioethics and the historical situation, and then jolted by some of the awful writing when Skloot attempts to write in the dialect of the blacks of the American South. Repetitious style and clunkers such as "He clenched his three remaining teeth" made it impossible to beome seriously invested in the book. I would love to see this story retold in detail by a different writer.
on December 15, 2014
The book wasn't quite in as good condition as I expected.