4.0 out of 5 stars Very uplifting book
I am a long time Donald Miller fan, since I read "Blue Like Jazz" (which, by the way, you should read; in my opinion, it is prerequisite to A Million Miles) and I jumped at the chance to get a free copy of "A Million Miles in A Thousand Years" from Booksneeze.

Published on March 18 2011 by Chelsey

2.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Edited
There is an error on page 116 of A Million Miles in a Thousand Years that made me angry when I read it. It's hard to believe that nobody caught it before the book was printed.

In talking about the Rwandan genocide Miller writes about 'the confusion of identity created by British occupation, and the tribal tensions that mounted''

Both Rwanda (and...
Published on Aug. 20 2010 by yolanda

4.0 out of 5 stars Very uplifting book, March 18 2011
Chelsey (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

I am the kind of girl who doesn't like to know many details of books or movies before I have the chance to have to read or view them myself. I like to have a totally unbiased experience, and so I did not read the back of this book or know anything about it when I dove in. In a way, I was a bit confused about why Miller was talking so much about creating the screenplay for "Blue Like Jazz", but soon it started to make a lot of sense -- and have a tremendous impact on my heart.

Miller essentially takes you through the process of editing a book for the screen, to tell the best story and then parallels that with how we live our lives. How can we tell the best story with the life that we are living? What kind of story are we creating? What kind of story are we allowing God to write for us?

I found this book to be very encouraging and definitely recommend it. Do I want my life story to be that I checked Facebook every 10 minutes or do I want to be living a real life, with real stories, engaging with characters? Every so often I do a little reality check and refer back to "A Million Miles in A Thousand Years". What story am I telling with this day, with my life? It will encourage you in every role you play in your life, no matter how varied the role.

5.0 out of 5 stars live a better story, Jan. 24 2014
This book eased me into thinking about life as a story we write, by our choices and our actions. Don made me laugh and made me cry. I loved the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars GGreat read!!, Nov. 7 2013
I found myself engaged reading this book and quickly read through it. Inspiring to read. I found myself doing a lot of thinking this I was reading this book. I am recommending this book to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, Aug. 23 2013
This review is from: IE: A Million Miles in a Thousand Years: What I Learned While Editing My Life (Paperback)
Building a better story. What a refreshing way to look at building a better life. Your life is your story and making your life what you want it to be is up to you. Donald has changed his life from being a couch potato to being fully engaged in a much better life. Well written and a wonderful piece of thought provoking phrases.

5.0 out of 5 stars my life's story has been challenged!!, Aug. 12 2013
I have been challenged in my personal and professional life to make a story that people will tell at the end of my life. Will you?

4.0 out of 5 stars great read, Jan. 2 2010
M. Bells (Orillia, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
Donald Miller's latest book "A Million Miles in a Thousand Years: what I learned while editing my life" is a book well worth reading. It's a book about story - and he tells some great stories in this book. But it's much more than a series of stories. It's about the story/stories that we live. It's about writing the story that we live. Miller takes the ordinary and the not so ordinary things of life and makes it come alive. He takes us on a journey into story and especially into the meaning and role of conflict in story. Conflict is what we avoid, but Miller leads us into an understanding that what is boring in life is because we avoid conflict.

If you are a writer; this book might help put Robert McKee's "Story" into easy to understand segments - there are times when "A Million Miles" reads almost like a writing guide.
If you like looking for theological statements you can disagree with; you will probably find them here.
If you struggle and are looking for hope or are sick and tired of simplistic answers; you just might find something here to grasp onto.
If you are bored with life; you just might find inspiration to write a better story for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars A More Mature Miller Emerges, Sept. 22 2009
This book is an excellent answer for all those who have been asking "what happened to Don Miller?". Basically, when it came time to start writing the screenplay for a movie version of "Blue Like Jazz" he realized that he wasn't doing anything worth writing about. His personal 'story' was really lacking. So, he set off on a journey of what might seem like a million miles in order to discover what his real story is. That is the book in a nutshell, but truly, there is so much more to this tale.

I laughed with Don at attempts at fitness, I cried with Don at the loss of a friend. He painted pictures of the Pacific Northwest with words that I soaked in deeply, and it caused me to dream of kayaking through those same waters. Heck, now I even want to take a trip to Peru!

Although the first chapters seemed a tad slow, I was so glad to have read through them, and found myself entirely engrossed. I am so glad that Don chose to lift himself out of his writer's block and move into a new, better, greater story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a great read. Everyone should read this book, Feb. 19 2010
Jordan Majeau (Edmonton, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
I may be one of the only people on the earth who had never actually read "Blue Like Jazz", but I had heard good things. "A Million Miles.." reads like a work of non-fiction that very much reads like it's fiction. If you've ever seen the movie "Stranger Than Fiction", I would say that the experience of reading this work feels a great deal like that movie. The author really develops the tension around the idea of being able to plot your own destiny while at the same time being just a "tree in a forest" where there is a bigger story at work. Donald Miller has the uncanny ability to have you the reader drawn into the adventure. Most readers should be able to read through this book in about a day if they have a day off. I highly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely Inspirational, Nov. 22 2009
Ron Abarbanel "MJA/RJA" (Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada) - See all my reviews
I couldn't put the book down. It really made me think. Donald Miller is dealing with a profound question: "What makes a life story worth living?" He breaks it down and causes you to imagine a better life. He nudges you to actually live a better life. If you take what he says seriously, I suspect you will never be the same. I have not stopped thinking about it in the three weeks since I read it. Plus, Donal Miller is a superb writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life-Changing Book!, Sept. 30 2009
Blair Roberts (canada) - See all my reviews
i wasn't really sure what to expect. i love all of his previous works, but it has been a while since he put something new out. i had high expectations, but have learned to lower my expectations when it comes to new books, because i am often disappointed. that is not the case with this book. i had high expectations and he met every one of them.

i completely misunderstood the point of this book when i first heard about it coming out. i heard donald miller was writing a book about story, and i assumed it meant that he was writing a book about how to write stories. he was, but not about how to write stories with a pen. he shares with us how to write a story with our life. the premise of the book is "what if we viewed our life as a story?" what elements of a great book or movie make it great? what elements of those can we add to our own life? it is so simple, yet he put it in a way that made a lightbulb go off in my head. we are all living some kind of story. is our story one worth telling?

he examines his own life and with tough honesty about himself, shows how he changed his story into something bigger than what he had been living. donald miller is an honest writer, and that is one of the main reasons i relate to his books so well. he admits mistakes and faults, and isn't afraid to be honest about who he is. this book struck a chord deep within me. i am so thankful for the chance to read it. i would recommend you do the same.

5/5 on the blair-o-meter.

ARRAY(0xa595ba44)